CD Projekt wants the Cyberpunk series to experience 'a similar evolution' to The Witcher games

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Consider The Witcher games and how much they changed with each installment. We want a similar evolution here," narrative director Igor Sarzyński said in a recent interview with PC Gamer.

What does that mean for a studio that's already gone from scrappy, idealistic RPG dev to one of the titans of the gaming industry? CD Projekt has already proven it can make incredible-looking games. In 2011 The Witcher 2 was already one of the best-looking videogames on the planet, and it also showed a glimmer of the narrative ambition CDPR would really flex in The Witcher 3. The Witcher 2's story branches into two completely separate paths at the halfway point, a bold move that no one's really pulled since. And obviously CD Projekt now knows its way around an open world. Where do you go from there?

Across the three Witcher games, I don't think CD Projekt ever made truly great combat—even in The Witcher 3 it was merely a serviceable interlude between all the great storytelling. Cyberpunk 2.0 might be the first game from the studio to really nail it, with shooting that feels innately satisfying and tons of sci-fi abilities that meaningfully change how you engage with combat. That's an exciting thought for what the sequel could introduce.

I think it's the world, though, that CD Projekt still has to work hardest to get just right. "NPC interactivity" is a key phrase in Sarzyński's answer; on first blush Night City is amazing, but back at launch especially the illusion really didn't hold up. Fixing bugs, making the police more dynamic, and other updates across many patches helped Night City feel more alive, but there's still a clear gap between Cyberpunk 2077 and a Rockstar open world like Red Dead Redemption 2's. As pretty as Night City is, your main ways to interact with it outside of missions is to buy stuff or help the cops.

Last edited:

Playstation Sucka

8 Jan 2023
I am curious to see how would they navigate this on Unreal engine although I would have preferred them to stick with their own engine I clearly see proprietary engines aren't the way to go today unless you have massive technological backing

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Hopefully we get a new anime from the same studio, Edgerunners was so good

Reactions: EDMIX

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I have little faith in a new North American start up arm of CDPR not dropping the ball with the sequel. Pretty much means CDPR isn’t making the sequel themselves ….

Love Witcher 3 and currently playing 2077 for a close to 100% run. I dunno….

Not crazy about the uE5 engine news either… 2077 looks better than pretty much everything. I assume the switch is because it’s being made by a startup and UE is far more commonly used.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I have little faith in a new North American start up arm of CDPR not dropping the ball with the sequel. Pretty much means CDPR isn’t making the sequel themselves ….

Love Witcher 3 and currently playing 2077 for a close to 100% run. I dunno….

Not crazy about the uE5 engine news either… 2077 looks better than pretty much everything. I assume the switch is because it’s being made by a startup and UE is far more commonly used.
I have my mind open to this as I really didn't enjoy Witcher 3. One of the few ganes I've never decided to finish.. Hopefully a new breathe of fresh air into these ips will have me enjoy them.

EDMIX

I mean sure, they are not making it, but for fuck sakes, they barely could make CP2077 lol Like, they struggled with some basic features.
Not crazy about the uE5 engine news either… 2077 looks better than pretty much everything.

Looks sure...the game lacks so many functions, I think it would dumb to keep limiting this IP to make it "look" good.

Not when adding ai driving a fucking car is taking them 3 years post launch.

Nah, give it to a different team that actually has a history of doing this and put it on a capable engine.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
I rather they drop the IP to be honest. That is, milk this title for all its juice and move on. I don't see it with franchise potential like the Witcher.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gamernyc78

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
I rather they drop the IP to be honest. That is, milk this title for all its juice and move on. I don't see it with franchise potential like the Witcher.

30 million units sold.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Each witcher game had huge leaps in between them, I don't see that happening with CP2077. Especially with them using UE5....

Reactions: Diah

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
In terms of general aesthetics I’d rather a high fantasy setting than a sci-fi one. I can see Cyberpunk becoming something more than what the first game is. It takes some commitment to find the good there. I was much more pleased to be in the world of Witcher 3 not even a few hours in. Again, to contrast Cyberpunk, it has a lot of the trappings of a typical open world game because you’re being introduced to the world for the first time. There’s no previous game or work to jump off from. That is a slog to me but I do recognize that it’s useful if the plan is more entries.

Reactions: Diah

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
No they don't, resources shouldn't be wasted on multiplatform companies.....especially a PC centric company like CDPR

Moving them to be console focused, would be positive IMO.

But there are a lot of questions around them...how they operate and get funding.

Also, if the result is PlayStation becoming more PC centric...then no way do I want Sony getting involved in any way.

It all depends on info that I am not privy to though.

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
CDPR is a dream pick for Sony. Completely addresses the Bethesda purchase, but with a better quality game maker. (I sorta expect this to actually happen) Also more successful with similar RPGs since Witcher 3. iO interactive and Remedy were also strong picks for live service technology (hitman and its incredible engine upgrades for a single player service game) and remedy just for its pedigree.

CDPR already changed their plans drastically. Cancelling the Cyberpunk persistent online multiplayer half of the game (think gta online). They’ve hopefully already gone thru all the growing pains going into this new gen.

I’ve been knee deep in 2077 in between sessions of Calisto protocol and Crysis remastered. 30 hours now in my 100% play thru, and at the half way point in where I was when it launched. Going to do every NCPD scanner mission etc and try to go for every trophy I can in a single run on Hard.

Fixed controls on console. Took a lot of tweaking for the shooter control fixes. You can fix driving in third person by putting the camera correction delay to pretty much zero, and turning sensitivity one click down. Out of the box the game controls like shit tbh.

I don’t think the game is “fixed.” I can’t really tell you what’s changed either. Where the game is weak is where most open world games are weak… it’s too fucking easy once you get into buildcrafting. Completely invalidates all of it. If it’s been reworked it’s still kinda useless.

pS - Ray tracing mode sucks. Fuck 30fps. Performance mode is great tho.

Great gta clone and rpg tho. (I do not enjoy gta)

My biggest gripe with the game is that V is a scumbag piece of street trash that I want to die. I loved being Geralt and because of that I adored Witcher 3. V is a fucking loser.

Last edited:
Reactions: Puff

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
No they don't, resources shouldn't be wasted on multiplatform companies.....especially a PC centric company like CDPR
I'm making the assumption Sony would make them exclusive, CDPR doesn't make multiplayer or live service.