CDPR to lay off 9% of its team

Luffy123

Veteran
16 Jul 2023
There was news floating around a while ago that Sony was looking at teams in Poland specifically

I wonder if the statement they put out a while back was because they were in active negotiations. Interesting

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
There was news floating around a while ago that Sony was looking at teams in Poland specifically

I wonder if the statement they put out a while back was because they were in active negotiations. Interesting
The only Sony related statement is that they won't make acquisitions this fiscal year and that are delayed to the mid/long term. Maybe after they get cash from selling 80% of their banks division in up to 2-3 years from now.

We speculated that would make sense for Sony to acquire a Polish team or to create a new studio in the area, because there's talent there but they don't have any studio nearby. That's all.

Fenton

Veteran
22 Feb 2023
They don't want to get acquired. But CDPR has potential for Sony. A publisher that wants to make single player and live service multiplayer. Console, PC and mobile experience. Future IPs can be turned into TV series like The Witcher, also scope for movies.
The Witcher: Sirens of the Deep is animation. Lack of WRPG exclusives on PS.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
As long as Tencent and Microsoft doesn't buy them, I am satisfied

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
As long as Microsoft doesn't buy them...

I think it might be a problem though, since they own GOG.

Could be seen as a play to kill sales without DRM. Or to buy out other PC stores.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
CDPR may have denied it but that’s what I expect them to do. I don’t doubt that Sony is indeed making an offer but also don’t expect to hear anything until Ms closes with ABK.

I do think they’re a bit super expensive tho but Witcher 3 selling like 55 million units in short order and half the amount of time as Skyrim is nothing to scoff at.

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
CDPR may have denied it but that’s what I expect them to do. I don’t doubt that Sony is indeed making an offer but also don’t expect to hear anything until Ms closes with ABK.

I do think they’re a bit super expensive tho but Witcher 3 selling like 55 million units in short order and half the amount of time as Skyrim is nothing to scoff at.

Microsoft definitely could run into some issues to buy them.... but after how they pulled off ABK (probably) , nothing is impossible.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
It makes sense for Sony but CDPR is closer to MS. Witcher 2 was Xbox exclusive and they had the marketing for Cyberpunk. The game and expansion were both announced at Xbox Showcase.

We never know but they like MS unfortunately

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
while other speak about acquisition, i am more interested, why they are firing people?

it makes no sense because not while ago and they shared projects in developing or ready to be developed. begs the question, did they scamming for actual buy by pretending they have loads of games and increasing the price?

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
while other speak about acquisition, i am more interested, why they are firing people?

it makes no sense because not while ago and they shared projects in developing or ready to be developed. begs the question, did they scamming for actual buy by pretending they have loads of games and increasing the price?

This is a good question. With their increase in scope on the number of concurrent projects, laying off makes no sense. My suspicion is that despite what's being said, they are positioning themselves to be acquired.

From experience, which is not a lot admittedly, companies will have a pre-buyout layoff round to make sure the transition already accounts for some changes. This would happen at the stage where the buyout has been all but agreed upon but it's still not entirely closed.

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
Nope, sony does not buy devs that are on their ass and falling apart, they have never swoop in and save a dev. Expecting that from them now is delusional.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Nope, sony does not buy devs that are on their ass and falling apart, they have never swoop in and save a dev. Expecting that from them now is delusional.
They're hiring for an inorganic acquisitions manager. It's happening. Get ready for it.