CESA Game Industry Report 2024: Japan's PC game revenue triplied in 4 years

Boswollox

7 Sep 2024
PC gaming is suffering from the slowest death since 1980 give or take. News outlets are keen on killing PC gaming because PC gaming has no owner. With console platforms they can shill and get some money in return.

I find hilarious when people say that these days PC gaming is dying. Guess they didn't game in the mid 00s on PC.
PC gaming is on the biggest resurgence since the dip of 00. It's affordable AF to put a 1080p/1440p ultra machine together. With emulation and steam there's 10's thousands of games to play including every AAA game from Sony and Microsoft.

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
No, I didn't miss any point. You hate to see Sony releasing their games in other platforms because of tribalism and try to paint it as if they are going to get doomed because of it.

But the reality for the long term is that unlike the Nintendo games, their AAA titles are so fucking expensive, every generation more and more, so in the long term will need to publish them in more places to keep them profitable if they don't want to turn them into a financial suicide.

They see that the console market didn't almost grew in recent decades, and PC offers them a market somewhat similar in size of the console (all consoles, not only their own one) where they have to pay 20-30% of the revenue of the games but in exchange they don't have to worry about the costs of hardware loses, retail copies, managing their own store, etc.

And their recent push is being successful, in 5 years they became a top 10 publisher in Steam history with a few games and their PC revenue highly increases every year. While non of their console metrics gets negatively affected by it, but instead keeps growing in all areas.

And PS isn't losing customers: they have now the biggest active userbase they ever had, and around half of the PS5 sales are to first time PS customers.

Jeez you're getting so mad replying; guess the truth must be a bit irritating for you to hear, huh?

Nothing you said in this response disproved anything either of my posts were speaking about, BTW. So now you've missed the point twice. Oh and remind me when their recent push is successful again once they specify PC games revenue in the next fiscal report vs. lumping it in with other platforms.

Then let's really see how successful it is without a viral sensation like Helldivers 2 around to prop up the numbers. Then we can talk 😏