Chinese Government Agency Reveals Mihoyo (Genshin, Honkai) Earnings for 2022

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

Over $2B USD in profits, and their margins are incredible. Now you know why everyone is chasing live service. They made half as much profit as the entirety of activision blizzard primarily off of one game - Genshin.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Fantastic results, somehow the game seems far less offensive than other MTX laden games.

I think it's because people have a clear notion of what the game is.... there's no pretense, no hiding etc.

Reactions: Heisenberg007
OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Fantastic results, somehow the game seems far less offensive than other MTX laden games.

I think it's because people have a clear notion of what the game is.... there's no pretense, no hiding etc.
I will say this about Genshin. I've played a few gacha games and other games force you towards the MTX by power creeping content and characters. In genshin there is barely any power creep with new characters. In fact, there's been several controversies where new characters are quite weak. A lot of times they sell you the characters based on their visual design and characterization/personality rather than how they perform in combat. That said, it's still a predatory system and quite expensive.

OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Isn't Genshin perfectly fine in single player mode?
what do you mean by "perfectly fine", also there's barely any multiplayer and there's no pvp. it's mainly a single player game with very optional co-op

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I still remember the day they first announced and revealed Genshin Impact.

And how people were making fun of them for ripping Zelda and predicting the game will bomb and might even be sued by Nintendo.

Look at them now. lol.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
what do you mean by "perfectly fine", also there's barely any multiplayer and there's no pvp. it's mainly a single player game with very optional co-op
Like you can have fun with it without paying for stuff.

OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Like you can have fun with it without paying for stuff.
Oh yeah. You can clear the content with starter characters (and they give you enough free resources to get more of them, about 1 new highest-rarity character every other update) and up til recently even the starter characters were good enough to clear the endgame. In fact some of the basic characters the game launched with are still considered among the strongest in the game.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Super impressive to achieve $3.84B in revenue and $2.27B in profits in a single year, only with a few mobile games and one of them being also available in PS and PC. This year, having Star Rail in top of that, they can make even more.

I assume their valuation must be insanely high, way more than publishers like Square, Capcom or Ubisoft, so may be too expensive for Sony, and that I assume the Chinese government won't like to see big Chinese companies bought by foreigners.

But if there is any option to acquire them, I think it should be a priority for Sony's acquisitions because would help them to better cover mobile, RPG and GaaS.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Super impressive to achieve $3.84B in revenue and $2.27B in profits in a single year, only with a few mobile games and one of them being also available in PS and PC. This year, having Star Rail in top of that, they can make even more.

I assume their valuation must be insanely high, way more than publishers like Square, Capcom or Ubisoft, so may be too expensive for Sony, and that I assume the Chinese government won't like to see big Chinese companies bought by foreigners.

But if there is any option to acquire them, I think it should be a priority for Sony's acquisitions because would help them to better cover mobile, RPG and GaaS.
Wikipedia says 7 billion dollars as of last year, but that was before StarRail came out. Its been a minute since I checked but I think that puts them on par with Capcom and double Square, Sega or Ubisoft while still being severely undervalued.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Wikipedia says 7 billion dollars as of last year, but that was before StarRail came out. Its been a minute since I checked but I think that puts them on par with Capcom and double Square, Sega or Ubisoft while still being severely undervalued.
Capcom has around $700M-$1B yearly revenue and around $250M yearly profit. I think MiHoyo should be valued higher, probably in at least the $12-15B range or even higher. I mean, if they continue with $2B yearly profit in slightly over half a dozen years the acquisition would already be profitable.

And this is not counting the potential to expand their IPs with anime, toys, etc.

I can't see which is the source, but found this (estimation?) of their mobile gaming revenue:

image.png

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Capcom has around $700M-$1B yearly revenue and around $250M yearly profit. I think MiHoyo should be valued higher, probably in at least the $12-15B range or even higher. I mean, if they continue with $2B yearly profit in slightly over half a dozen years the acquisition would already be profitable.

And this is not counting the potential to expand their IPs with anime, toys, etc.

I can't see which is the source, but found this (estimation?) of their mobile gaming revenue:

image.png
I think your chart is just non-Chinese revenue, too, so it should be even higher (they use Hoyoverse, in Singapore, as a nexus for all outside of China operations while Mihoyo is just China+HK and Taiwan.)

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I think your chart is just non-Chinese revenue, too, so it should be even higher (they use Hoyoverse, in Singapore, as a nexus for all outside of China operations while Mihoyo is just China+HK and Taiwan.)
Uh, I didn't know that. I thought Hoyoverse was only the name of the shared universe where all the miHoyo games are.

In that case I assume they could do a deal with Sony selling the Singapore branch only, so MiHoyo would handle China/HK/Taiwan operations while Sony would help them for the rest of the world.

That would also help to highly reduce the price.