[Chris Dring] Astro Bot's UK launch is solid. First week sales are 21% higher than the debut of Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart in 2021

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Correct me if I’m wrong.

We so far have UK, Spain and Japan sales

UK - 30K
Spain - 10K
Japan - 12K Physical

What are the worldwide estimates for 1 week sales if going by these figures?

Rest of Europe, NA and other regions not included yet.

1 million plus copies sold first week?

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Cool hand luke

SuperPotato

1 Mar 2024
Correct me if I’m wrong.

We so far have UK, Spain and Japan sales

UK - 30K
Spain - 10K
Japan - 12K Physical

What are the worldwide estimates for 1 week sales if going by these figures?

Rest of Europe, NA and other regions not included yet.

1 million plus copies sold first week?

It's #1 in Germany but we don't know the numbers

• Informative
Reactions: Muddasar

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
The most recent sales data we got from Rift Apart was 4M as of June 2023 (2 years after launch). Meaning, Rift Apart very likely will end selling over 6M or so (PS only, not counting PC). Meaning, it's the best selling Ratchet game ever.

If launch UK retail sales would be representative of the global sales (spoiler: they aren't), then Astro Bot would be on track of selling around over aprox. 7.3M copies. Which already would be the best selling internally developed Japan Studio game ever and would be almost the 7.5M copies Bloodborne had as of Feb. 2022. Which is the best selling 2nd party Japan Studio game.

Looking at PSN and Amazon rankings in the main PS countries, I think it's pretty likely that will sell a bit more than that, closer to or maybe even above 10M (after its whole lifetime, not at launch).

It would be far from the over 60M units sold of the best selling platformer ever in any console, Astro's Playroom.

If Rift Apart did 29K, if Astro did 21% more than that then Astro did 35K, not 19-20K.

Massive reach to assume that Rift Apart will sell an additional 2 million copies.

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
This goes against the narrative he started with the physical sales. That doom thread got all the attention with 15 pages on Era and finally locked. I bet this (positive) news will be buried 😡

Anyway, great news! Astrobot is a game for everyone so it's the perfect gift this holiday. They are going to sell so many Pros to play it 😁

I think that was retail/physical only data he had at the time. He did not have digital. Now he has retail/physical and digital numbers which is why its actually only 21% higher than Ratchet. Which is not great, but also for a game with a modest budget it will probably do well enough.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Massive reach to assume that Rift Apart will sell an additional 2 million copies.
As of some months ago, around half of the PS5 users were new to PS. PS5 will continue this gen, and PS6 super likely will be BC so will continue selling.

That 4M were two years after launch when the game only was discounted 3 short periods of time (and another one for PS+) until $30, the maximum discount it had until now. It was been only two years and has room to be discounted beyond that. It isn't rare to see a game like this selling a third of its units after that point.

But well, take the 5M+ for Rift Apart if you see the 6M+ as too optimistic. A 21% over that would be 6M+ for Astro Bot.

But again, I think Astro Bot will sell more than 21% over Rift Apart. We have to consider that the % of PS5 games sold that are digital increased since the Rift Apart release: now is at 80%. Meaning, the UK physical sales are a smaller portion today of the total UK sales than they were back in the Rift Apart release days.

Last edited:

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Astro can reach 10 million in launch year if fucking SIE sticks with it, they abandon any IP's that are not instant hits. Mario didn't reach Odyssey numbers since his first game, it takes time to cultivate a fanbase and loyalty. This is why playstation software sales are in the gutter in Japan, they give up too soon. Absolutely embarrassing that 2-3 million sales Metroid is kept alive but 2-3 million sales resistance and killzone isn't
Killzone would sell 10+ million at this era given that it doesn't come out colorful and ***. People are thirsty for this type of games.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
He never called it a flop. He said physical sales were tracking 1/3rd behind Ratchet and Clank from 3 years ago.
He didn't but your thread on GAF and the 15+ pages on Era was negative about the sales. It's the only reason why you made that thread, to rub it in 🤡