Citizen Sleeper Dev: "Game Pass is keeping a lot of Indie studios going"

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
That gravy train was never gonna last, especially once you saw MSFT buy so many big publishers and developers.
Yeah it's like Netflix they spent alot of money initially spending to keep and make new productions but their ass raised prices again and than made the announcement that theyd focus on less AAA type content and more organic and AA type stuff lol. Tht shit ain't sustainable.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Yeah it's like Netflix they spent alot of money initially spending to keep and make new productions but their ass raised prices again and than made the announcement that theyd focus on less AAA type content and more organic and AA type stuff lol. Tht shit ain't sustainable.

And Xbox fans have said for years that MSFT was so wealthy that they could afford to do it forever but the thing is that they failed to realize that MSFT is not a charity, they want to eventually make some money in gaming...

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Gamernyc78

reziel

Veteran
12 Jun 2023
Damn just reading all the comments in that thread about 99% people said they wouldn't have played most of the games they played if they didn't have gamepass. Most even flat out said or hinted at they didn't even buy the games they played that's messed up.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gamernyc78

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
He is not wrong in some of his statement. There were many games I didn't know anything about and liked. Or games from genres I don't typically play like JRPGS/ visual novels that I played due to Gamepass subscription.

Some of those games I ended up buying on steam afterwards like streets of rage 4, bloodstained ritual of the night, Yakuza 0, or the Record of lodoss war Deedlit game.

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
Wait til MS say fuck indies.
This wont happen, indies are Game pass bread and butter, AAA games kill their business model because it cost them too much and they can't recoup. This why they bought a few publishers with large IP, wont have to spend money to put their own AAA games on Game pass. Game pass business model is AAA owned by Microsoft and indies from others.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Sunrise Ninja

5 Feb 2024
Gamepass should have been Xbox live arcade 2 but Phil got lazy on the first party output and had to pay big money for established 3rd party publishers games to cover his incompetence, when really he should have been building up the indie community then absorbing them into the Xbox game studios.

The amount of indie games I've played that I never would have touch because of gamepass is crazy but now I just play them on my Steam Deck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
If you depend on Gamepass because nobody would otherwise buy your game, bye, if you had any sense you knew that was inevitably going to happen.

For any indie dev that also supported the Bethesda/ABK acquisitions, you are just getting what you deserve.
Yeah thts short term income unless it's a great game like Remnant 2 and ppl buy the dlc because they got it free on Gamepass.

Reactions: Nhomnhom

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
You could say the same about PS+, Humble Monthly, Epic Store and Amazon Twitch Prime/Luna but they don't attract the same kind of shills for some reason.

All these indies will inevitably go bankrupt after Microsoft is done with them.

Bye.

This shitty game is 0.50 on keyshops. It's worthless.

saltyashell

11 Feb 2024
You could say the same about PS+, Humble Monthly, Epic Store and Amazon Twitch Prime/Luna but they don't attract the same kind of shills for some reason.

All these indies will inevitably go bankrupt after Microsoft is done with them.

Bye.

This shitty game is 0.50 on keyshops. It's worthless.

It's essentially a visual novel like Pentiment but less popular. The only version of these visual novels that are actually worth playing is Disco Elysium - the rest will be forgotten.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Because it’s indie overflow trash nobody buys.
Good game will sell. If your indie game is yet again about purple haired adventurers or cancer, then sorry, its audience is 5 resetera loosers

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters