Classic Marathon coming soon to Steam

24 Jun 2022
Yes, Sony now own all Bungie IPs. But being so old, maybe Bungie made them open source back in the time and may share it free, I have no idea.

Seems weird because Bungie (or Sony) should be the publisher but isn't the case.

Edit: seems it's a fan made macOS, Windows, and Linux open source project made with permission from Bungie https://alephone.lhowon.org/

To release something in console requires to be a PS certified dev, to buy devkits, popt the game, made console specific stuff like adapting the online, include trophies, etc. A certain amount of work and costs that I assume an open source project can't afford.

I know those other things would take more resources and time...but SIE & Bungie have those resources. So there's nothing stopping them other than the time, and if they don't have that, just have another studio do the work and fund them for a console port of the games.

It doesn't have to be something released at the exact time this version hits Steam, but it would be a nice thing to have sometime shortly afterwards. A double-pack with the first two games touched up a bit, modern controls, cheap affordable price. Could be a good introduction to the IP for PlayStation gamers ahead of the new Marathon GAAS title, they could also do a MCC (but good from Day 1) type remix story campaign mode in the new game's engine based on the levels & content from the original two games.

This is the type of stuff Sony have to be considering now if they want a balanced console/PC multiplatform strategy for their GAAS titles and IP, IMO.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I know those other things would take more resources and time...but SIE & Bungie have those resources. So there's nothing stopping them other than the time, and if they don't have that, just have another studio do the work and fund them for a console port of the games.

It doesn't have to be something released at the exact time this version hits Steam, but it would be a nice thing to have sometime shortly afterwards. A double-pack with the first two games touched up a bit, modern controls, cheap affordable price. Could be a good introduction to the IP for PlayStation gamers ahead of the new Marathon GAAS title, they could also do a MCC (but good from Day 1) type remix story campaign mode in the new game's engine based on the levels & content from the original two games.

This is the type of stuff Sony have to be considering now if they want a balanced console/PC multiplatform strategy for their GAAS titles and IP, IMO.
Yes. Who knows, maybe Sony and Bungie plan to do something with the old Marathon games.

I think it would be cool to make a collection with all the Marathon stuff released until now, also properly explaining the lore behind them, maybe also with some documentary or videos, as part of the promotion of the new Marathon.

But the thing is that the old Marathon games nowadays look like shit, very outdated, so not sure if they would have enough commercial appeal for people to be bought separatedly, which would be needed because it would take too much work to properly update them.

I think it would make more sense to just include them emulated inside the new Marathon game as Street Fighter 6 does without adding trophies/updating gameplay/etc. I assume the new game will already explain the lore of the previous games, so I think would be nice to include them there.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Yes. Who knows, maybe Sony and Bungie plan to do something with the old Marathon games.

I think it would be cool to make a collection with all the Marathon stuff released until now, also properly explaining the lore behind them, maybe also with some documentary or videos, as part of the promotion of the new Marathon.

But the thing is that the old Marathon games nowadays look like shit, very outdated, so not sure if they would have enough commercial appeal for people to be bought separatedly, which would be needed because it would take too much work to properly update them.

I think it would make more sense to just include them emulated inside the new Marathon game as Street Fighter 6 does without adding trophies/updating gameplay/etc. I assume the new game will already explain the lore of the previous games, so I think would be nice to include them there.

Emulated Easter egg would be the better option at the moment. Especially considering Marathon is likely to be a full priced game. It would be nice for the launch package. I just don’t expect that as an internal port for consoles would require resources I don’t expect bungie bother with internally while simultaneously working on three projects all of which who have like infinite dev timelines.

If the fan project can somehow evolve into a console port effort that would be cool to see. Otherwise I expect to pay for it :/

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
If it's unplayable on consoles then it's unplayable on PCs too, and any overhead uplift PC could offer it, any of the modern consoles could as well. You don't need a 3090 to push a game like OG Marathon to 60 FPS and 2x resolution.

I don't think that's a good excuse to not have a port for PS4/PS5 if there's one coming for Steam, considering who own the IP rights now.

I wasnt talking about specs... Just that the game is so old it's not worth it for modern audiences and specially on consoles. Better to aim for a full remake.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I wasnt talking about specs... Just that the game is so old it's not worth it for modern audiences and specially on consoles. Better to aim for a full remake.

I think it would need to be outsourced but would be cool to see a remake along the lines of the boomer shooter resurgence indie projects that look like early 90s pc shooters with widescreen support etc. No need to change visual direction much (even tho it’s aged mostly horribly).

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Emulated Easter egg would be the better option at the moment. Especially considering Marathon is likely to be a full priced game. It would be nice for the launch package. I just don’t expect that as an internal port for consoles would require resources I don’t expect bungie bother with internally while simultaneously working on three projects all of which who have like infinite dev timelines.

If the fan project can somehow evolve into a console port effort that would be cool to see. Otherwise I expect to pay for it :/
Since the game and the prequel seems to have a very rich lore, I think it would be nice to have some kind of unlockables to explain parts of the lore of the new and classic games: a combination of illustrations, videos and texts of each faction, company, etc. And as part of that, also have the games there.

Since MP only games are so repetitive, the more unlockables they have with cool suff the better.