Classified SEGA of America Docs From ~1996 Have Just Been Shared Online

Swolf712

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Wisconsin, USA
Wait a minute, I was told only Sony did this.
NQtoyy0.png

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Very cool! Too bad the docs aren't a little later with more Dreamcast content. That was a really interesting moment for Sega. Kind of like the PS Vita where they're firing on all cylinders, but it's just not finding the audience.

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75
24 Jun 2022
REALLY need to find time to read through these, though I've seen some of the juicy stuff already thanks to others. Really curious to see if there's info on their arcade business from around this time, including plans related to Gameworks.

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Pandamonium Sega Documents Stream

Just in case any here are interested; great Sega Saturn channel, they're going through all the pages in the document.

I'm on the part where they go through Sega CD, Saturn, etc. hardware and software stocks vs. orders and...oh my goodness...Sega were struggling badly in 1996 to move new units of console hardware and software :/
Thanks.

Swolf712

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Wisconsin, USA
Fascinating to me how news outlets and channels are reporting on this by simply showing what's in the documents, and Xbox guys and a handful of Sega Diehards) are running around screaming at them for doing "damage control" for Sony and trying to cover up the fact that Sony choked them out due to "unfair anti-competitive practices".

Just wild to me. We have the documents from Sega themselves and they're still choosing their narrative over facts.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Fascinating to me how news outlets and channels are reporting on this by simply showing what's in the documents, and Xbox guys and a handful of Sega Diehards) are running around screaming at them for doing "damage control" for Sony and trying to cover up the fact that Sony choked them out due to "unfair anti-competitive practices".

Just wild to me. We have the documents from Sega themselves and they're still choosing their narrative over facts.
Funny, I would like a clear example? The games that interested most people were either only on PSX or they Saturn ports were often lackluster (Saturn to PSX ports suffered in specific areas, but never to the same extent).

Reactions: Systemshock2023
24 Jun 2022
Funny, I would like a clear example? The games that interested most people were either only on PSX or they Saturn ports were often lackluster (Saturn to PSX ports suffered in specific areas, but never to the same extent).

Dee Bach is one of them; he thinks the documents are "proof" of Sony's anti-competitive practices that pushed Sega out of consoles, when anyone who is able to read the documents (or do what I did; watch the PandaMonium stream of the whole leak ;) could see the problems were obvious: Sega just had product that retailers didn't want to carry, and customers didn't want to buy.

Sega of America was really disorganized in 1995, but those documents show how bad things really were for them at that point. None of the Genesis, 32X, Nomad etc. surpluses had anything to do with Sony. Selling less than 100K Saturns between '95 May and September had nothing to do with Sony, and more to do with Sega of Japan forcing the surprise launch on Sega of America. It'd also seem things like the infamous Five-Star Policy started under Tom Kalinske in some form, rather than Bernie Stolar (though Stolar had no problem carrying that forward at Saturn's detriment).

Really shows how thin Sega spread themselves in that transitionary period across all those devices, many of them getting/needing unique software that wasn't compatible with other devices from the same company. Sony's singular vision/focus and unity isn't what "killed" Sega; it was Sega's own lack of a clear focus on a singular product for their future and spreading resources way too thin that did them in.

Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Dee Bach is one of them; he thinks the documents are "proof" of Sony's anti-competitive practices that pushed Sega out of consoles, when anyone who is able to read the documents (or do what I did; watch the PandaMonium stream of the whole leak ;) could see the problems were obvious: Sega just had product that retailers didn't want to carry, and customers didn't want to buy.

Sega of America was really disorganized in 1995, but those documents show how bad things really were for them at that point. None of the Genesis, 32X, Nomad etc. surpluses had anything to do with Sony. Selling less than 100K Saturns between '95 May and September had nothing to do with Sony, and more to do with Sega of Japan forcing the surprise launch on Sega of America. It'd also seem things like the infamous Five-Star Policy started under Tom Kalinske in some form, rather than Bernie Stolar (though Stolar had no problem carrying that forward at Saturn's detriment).

Really shows how thin Sega spread themselves in that transitionary period across all those devices, many of them getting/needing unique software that wasn't compatible with other devices from the same company. Sony's singular vision/focus and unity isn't what "killed" Sega; it was Sega's own lack of a clear focus on a singular product for their future and spreading resources way too thin that did them in.
My personal experience pf that period was that the 32x blew off the balance and made the launch of the Saturn strange.

The Sega CD was oldish news by that time, so Sega could have stopped developing for it while allowing third party games to be released (which means quick death). They may have perceived it as an issue, but I think that the only problem with it was their (SoA) focus on garbage full motion video "games", which the Sega CD was bad at because it didn't display enough colors, that made the expansion look bad and boring.

Nomad/GG is strange, I didn't think that it would confuse people about the game gear, either way neither did great... but having to feed the GG while releasing the 32x + Saturn was just too much (as you said they spread themselves too thin).

So from the Saturn launch they should have gone thin and kept only the Genesis + Saturn as actively marketed, maybe the GG... Obviously the 32x was never a good idea in any situation, it took teams away from making Saturn games for over a year and confused people as well as their retail partners.

Also, I'm not even sure Sega could have kept the Genesis alive much longer anyway, giant carts allowed the SNES to really shine through, with the use its extra colors and sound abilities to good effect. Late SNES games would require a lot of sacrifices to work on the Genesis (imagine FF VI).