Concord Registers Only 1100 players during first Day of Closed Beta (Steam) | 2210 Players at Open Beta

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Factions, Twisted Metal, London Studio, Deviation, Spiderverse. That's 5 we know of and Bungie cancelled something. Pixelopus we don't know if it was GAAS but still money down the drain.

Fairgame is probably cancelled because it disappeared after the awful reveal (even worse than Concord if that's possible, that's how bad the reception was.)

There's probably more we don't know about. They lost over 500 millions dollars easy with more on the way. The budget of 3 SP games or more.

Cancelled is a bit of an overstatement.

Most those games didn’t even get to the production stage.

Twisted Metal wasn’t even in the planning stage. Just a proposal.

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
wtf am I reading?? 😂😂😂😂

Sony is apparently struggling to keep the lights on....? They need a gaas hit to save them?? But during the PS5 gen, they've already made more profit than the entirety of PS4/PS3/PS2/PS1 gen combined? And that was BEFORE the release of Helldivers 2??

I've come to expect this kind of dumb shortsighted thinking from Sony themselves, but not you @Neversummer , it seems like you've been brainwashed 😢 You guys are smoking crack if you think Sony needs some gaas hit to stay in business.

They make more money just from their 30% CoD cut than they do from 12+ million sales of Helldivers 2, their biggest gaas ever. And that's without doing any work. But yeah, keep investing billions and billions into more slop like Concord, that's the way to grow and expand🤣🤣 Making exclusive single player games is far more sustainable for growth in the long term than GAAS ever could be. Not only do they have a much higher chance of success, they actually grow the install base. HD2 was the fastest selling 1st party game, but it didn't move more consoles than God of War or Spider-Man did. Larger install base = more revenue from 3rd party. Literally everyone understands this basic concept except Sony, Xbox, and a few forum idiots that hang on Sony's every word. And chasing this imaginary infinite growth is the reason why Sony is at their worst ever when it comes to optics and enthusiasm amongst fans.

Btw @Neversummer Nintendo needs live service games more than Sony because they don't have anywhere close to the 3rd party offerings that Sony does...Nintendo has always relied on 1st party and Sony has always relied on 3rd party. This is nothing new and there's nothing wrong with it. You guys can bring up acquisition scares if you want but CoD is still on PlayStation 🤷‍♂️ PlayStation carries the entire gaming industry on their back, its too big to be ignored, they're not under any threat from losing big games like CoD, Fortnite, Apex, Fifa, 2K, Madden, etc. The ABK acquisition has proved this. The only thing that can hurt Sony is Sony, which they've been working really hard at....They've been able to coast off the success of the PS4, but that won't last much longer. They'll wish they stuck with their original strategy instead of chasing gaas
Love how you put words into my mouth 💀 over exaggerating reality.

Who said Sony needs live service to keep up the lights? Does PS needs live service to keep up the light, rn no. Does PS needs live service? Yuh very much. Does PS needs live service in the long run? Yes very much.

Every publisher including japanese are trying to be establish in live service to ensure young blood get exposed to there own ip instead of competitors. Capcom, Bandai, Sega, Square, EA, ABK, Take 2 etc are all expanding & double downing on live service & it’s for a reason. Yet you want PS to reverse course & stick to the one trick that requires significantly more money & time to bring half a fraction of what a successful live service games would make.

You seem to not understand business, economics & the importance of your brand/business being in touch with the younger generation.

“Making exclusive single player games is far more sustainable for growth in the long term than GAAS ever could be” this is factually wrong. Not to say PS should stop singleplayer & 100% focus on multiplayer live service but the notion Sony needs to ditch multiplayer/live service games is pretty comical just so Sony business model rely on a singleplayer driven one trick pony. This is literally the issue with Square Enix business & why there value has stagnated

“They make more money just from their 30% CoD cut than they do from 12+ million sales of Helldivers 2, their biggest gaas ever. And that's without doing any work” your literally proving my point 😭💀

Dude Nintendo doesn’t need 3rd party or live service. Nintendo makes more profit w less revenue than PS. Nintendo sells more games & more console w less 3rd party & less live service available on the console. The difference between Nintendo & PS is PS doesn’t have the ip Nintendo has to solely rely on just doing singleplayer only. PS ip don’t cater to a younger audience nor it caters to family’s like Mario & Pokemon does. PS is not Nintendo there nothing alike. Nintendo ip’s like Mario & Pokemon itself trumps Sony as a whole I don’t think you understand how strong Nintendo ip’s are 💀

“PlayStation carries the entire gaming industry on their back” lmao 💀💀 PS can barely release first party own singleplayer exclusive games to its console with there output being 1-2 singleplayer games per year if your lucky. I know your talking in bad faith when your acting like PS is solely focusing & doing multiplayer live service games.

Reactions: Airbus

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
To be fair a lot of the decrease in profits was due to amortization of the cost of buying bungie. But the cancellation of TLoU Factions definitely hurt big time, and imo they already missed the boat on big MP shooters/gaas. Trend chasing barely ever works, they should instead be trying to innovate the next big thing.
Multiplayer live service aren’t a trend. Multiplayer games will continue to be popular, it’s been popular for 15 years it will be popular in the next 15 years. People always look to play new multiplayer games every year.

A trend would be battle royal modes or loot boxes or rn gatcha style games & you can really argue that those aren’t even trends & just 1 way of doing business with a bunch of other business models

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
So they killed Japan Studio for this?

Sony got lucky they got the Hoyoverse triplets. Those are gonna help a lot to minimize the bleeding occuring by trashcans gaas like Concords and Destruction

Now they need to be very careful on what gaas games to invest in the future. Even if we haven't see anything about Factions 2 but I can bet this would have been miles away superior than this
What people called TLOU faction was from the leaks gonna be a TLOU battle royale.

People shit how PS is chasing trend but yet another battle royale going against Apex, Fortnite, Warzone, PUBG was suicide. PS/ND would’ve had to drop it when Warzone streamers didn’t like the game & was down bad for TLOU battle royale to have any chance + a massive streamer/content creator promotional campaign. IMO TLOU online should’ve been a survival game that easily competes w DayZ & Rust. TLOU online should’ve been a AAA smooth gameplay graphically pleasing survival game & maybe on the side a battle royal.

But yeah PS needs to be careful of what they green light. SOCOM, Killzone SW battlefront 2 style shooter, PS Allstars 2 should be in the front of the line of live service to green light not Concord & PS London new ip that are more risky.

Reactions: SSfox

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Not the greatest start but it still has a chance.

I heard some love it and some can't get into it...seems it's too slow for some and just right for others.
ARE YOU FUCKING CRAZY? ~ DO NOT SAY SOMETHING POSITIVE ABOUT THIS GAME,

THEY WILL BE COMING FOR YOU NOW!

Angry The People GIF by The Spine of Night

We go live to @JAHGamer for his reaction.

Happy Lets Go GIF by Tennis TV

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Then again, Concord plans to dump money and resources into episodic cinematic content … like why? It’s a PvP game. Makes no sense and sorta defeats the purpose
Yuh that’s really dumb of them. Cinematic should be reserved with each season continuing a storyline if they wish to do so not weekly cinematic that people will likely ignore or not care. Such a big investment for an ip that’s new & has no sort of background.

I honestly believe Twisted Metal would’ve done better but to be fair Twisted Metal was likely a 2027-2028 type of game. PS is all over the place with there planning & directions. Ig that’s what happen when you don’t properly invest in your studio to split into multiple teams so it won’t effect whatever another team is doing. We saw the effect of SM2 being hold back because of the main team was also co developing a marvel coop live service.

Impulse

21 Apr 2023
This game is not my cup of tea so I'm not buying or trying it, but the desperation to shit on it from its first reveal is honestly unbelievable and almost makes me root for its success.

If you really think something will absolutely definitely fail then just let it be and you will see if your prediction is accurate or not. Feeling the need to incessantly doom and gloom about the game suggests that deep down, you actually fear the prospect of it succeeding and what that will bring..

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
This game is not my cup of tea so I'm not buying or trying it, but the desperation to shit on it from its first reveal is honestly unbelievable and almost makes me root for its success.

If you really think something will absolutely definitely fail then just let it be and you will see if your prediction is accurate or not. Feeling the need to incessantly doom and gloom about the game suggests that deep down, you actually fear the prospect of it succeeding and what that will bring..

There’s a belief from some here that GaaS games failing will miraculously make Sony reverse their course and return to their favourite type of games.

Not realising the whole reason they have gone GaaS is because their favourite games are not making enough money.

If anything it will be even less likely cause of the losses Sony makes in GaaS.

GaaS succeeding will ensure Sony can continue to make big budget single player games too.

Who is gonna tell them.

• haha
Reactions: Hezekiah and arvfab

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
If Mass Effect trilogy was made today they would’ve tried it as a single player gaas with episodic content or like Hitman. Definitely not exclusive to multiplayer games. See Assasin’s Creed.

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
Yuh that’s really dumb of them. Cinematic should be reserved with each season continuing a storyline if they wish to do so not weekly cinematic that people will likely ignore or not care. Such a big investment for an ip that’s new & has no sort of background.
That's the reason they are doing it, to bolster the characters and affinity to the audience. CGI (production) wise it's great and if it got something going with the story, folks will routinely check back. I don't know how ambitious they are but if it's 5min a week that's like a full episode a month. Obviously to keep retention once you get invested in the story to log in and when you at it play a few games.

Impulse

21 Apr 2023
There’s a belief from some here that GaaS games failing will miraculously make Sony reverse their course and return to their favourite type of games.

Not realising the whole reason they have gone GaaS is because their favourite games are not making enough money.

GaaS succeeding will ensure Sony can continue to make big budget single player games too.

Who is gonna tell them.
The success of Helldivers 2 has already set that wheel in motion. There's no stopping it now, for good or ill.

It's too late for anyone to convince Sony to make a u-turn when they have largely vanquished their primary foe in the market (Xbox).

That's the reason they are doing it, to bolster the characters and affinity to the audience. CGI (production) wise it's great and if it got something going with the story, folks will routinely check back. I don't know how ambitious they are but if it's 5min a week that's like a full episode a month. Obviously to keep retention once you get invested in the story to log in and when you at it play a few games.
It's their way of keeping the game close to the current SIE identity (narrative-focused entertainment). You will note that Helldivers 2 has quite a bit of lore and plot integration for a GAAS game as well.

I'd expect Fairgame$ to have something similar happening too.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Muddasar

Kokoloko

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Nobody playing that garbage mode lol. I dunno why they thought no respawn would go over well in a mode that requires team work till the end .... But there's some questionable amateur decisions made in this game overall... So I'm also partially not surprised

I dont mind it. I prefer normal mode way more, but once in awhile its ok. It kind makes sure people work as a team

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Factions, Twisted Metal, London Studio, Deviation, Spiderverse. That's 5 we know of and Bungie cancelled something. Pixelopus we don't know if it was GAAS but still money down the drain.
Twisted Metal and the Spiderverse game weren't greenlighted (unless the 'Spiderverse' game is Spider-Man 3 and continues there), didn't make the cut to pass into production (it's even more common to don't greenlight pitches than to cancel games). We know SIE has a secret team in the city were Deviation was with ex-Deviation devs, so maybe they are working in the Deviation game, even if heavily rebooted.

They planned to have a dozen IPs with GaaS, plus later bought Bungie with Destiny and minimum two more. Out of these 15+ GaaS we have TLOU Online and London Studio's new IPs as confirmed to be cancelled.

Fairgame is probably cancelled because it disappeared after the awful reveal (even worse than Concord if that's possible, that's how bad the reception was.)
It is nonsensical to think that because they didn't release more trailers the game is cancelled. According to you Wolverine or Elder Scrolls 6 cancelled too? Lol

They just focus their marketing on games that are closer to release, that's all. They'll show it again when closer to release.

There's probably more we don't know about. They lost over 500 millions dollars easy with more on the way. The budget of 3 SP games or more.
500 millions? Why not 500 trillions?

Now seriously, yes, obviously there's more we don't know about. To cancel games is common, pretty likely these recent years they also cancelled some non-GaaS titles as they (and any other publisher) did since forever.

Who is gonna tell them.
The success of Helldivers 2 has already set that wheel in motion. There's no stopping it now, for good or ill.
Not just Helldivers 2, so far MLB, GT7, Destiny 2, Helldivers 2 are very successful.

But yes, in the long term to continue making a lot of AAA SP games they'll need the money from several successful GaaS.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Not the greatest start but it still has a chance.

I heard some love it and some can't get into it...seems it's too slow for some and just right for others.
It is both slow and fast depending of the character and perks you choose.
There are some perks that create mushroom on the map and when you cross them your speed increases... that makes tank become faster and already fast characters to be really fast.

Taking an Warlock in Destiny as example... some characters are faster and others are slower but with the mushrooms the faster become faster than any class in Destiny and the slower become similar to Warlocks.

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022

Who is gonna tell them.
Didn't Ryan already acknowledge at an earnings call that many of them may fail?

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Muddasar

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Who said Sony needs live service to keep up the lights? Does PS needs live service to keep up the light, rn no. Does PS needs live service? Yuh very much. Does PS needs live service in the long run? Yes very much.
Like it or not, add-ons (mostly from live services) are generating a substantial portion of the game revenues. A percentage that keeps growing every year, making the game revenue portion from selling games smaller every year.

Meaning, in the long term games that rely only on the revenue from selling that game will have less market specially if limited to a single console, and will be even riskier if their budgets keep increasing.

So publishers see GaaS as an opportunity to make more money, but also as a way to be more future proof in case the market continues the current trend we had in the last 10-20 years where GaaS kept getting more and more important and where the console, PC and mobile gaming markets have been slowly converging.

Dude Nintendo doesn’t need 3rd party or live service. Nintendo makes more profit w less revenue than PS. Nintendo sells more games & more console w less 3rd party & less live service available on the console. The difference between Nintendo & PS is PS doesn’t have the ip Nintendo has to solely rely on just doing singleplayer only. PS ip don’t cater to a younger audience nor it caters to family’s like Mario & Pokemon does. PS is not Nintendo there nothing alike. Nintendo ip’s like Mario & Pokemon itself trumps Sony as a whole I don’t think you understand how strong Nintendo ip’s are 💀
Games like Smash and Mario Kart, Splatoon, Super Kirby Clash, Pokemon Unite, Pokemon Cafe Remix or Pokemon Quest are also GaaS.

Some of these games plus other Nintendo ones are MP.

“PlayStation carries the entire gaming industry on their back” lmao 💀💀 PS can barely release first party own singleplayer exclusive games to its console with there output being 1-2 singleplayer games per year if your lucky. I know your talking in bad faith when your acting like PS is solely focusing & doing multiplayer live service games.
As reference, Sony releases many games every year. As an example, for this year as I remember they have/had:
  • TLOU2 Remastered
  • Helldivers 2
  • MLB
  • Stellar Blade
  • Rise of the Ronin
  • Destiny 2 The Final Shape
  • Concord
  • Astro Bot
  • Lego Horizon
  • Until Dawn
  • Convallaria
  • Lost Soul Aside
Plus PC ports of HFW, GoT, GoWR and emulated PS Classics. And well, we also have to remember they also have several AAA and indie 3rd party exclusives every year they pay and market via some kind of deal.

Didn't Ryan already acknowledge at an earning call that many of them may fail?
I don't have the exact quote here but as I remember he said it in PR language. Something like "we don't expect all of them to be top tier hits", "we plan them to have a varying level of revenue performance", "they'll address different niches of different sizes" or something like that.

But well, something obvious. Nobody expected that every single one of them were going to be the next Fortnite/CoD/FIFA. Like always, some were going to perform better, other worse, and other would fail.

As usual when big corporations/investors make an investment on a batch of a dozen or two dozens of project, the idea is that maybe around half of them perform ok/good/pretty good and hopefully one or two of them would be a huge hit that more than compensates the ones that fail, making profitable the entire combined investment.

Last edited:
  • haha
Reactions: arvfab and Hezekiah

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I’m going to set some steam specific engagement metrics.

Helldivers has settled at a tier above Sea of Thieves and Fallout 76. Those games do 20-30k peak. Helldivers currently doing 35k peak. If it holds at 30-40k for most of the year that’s solid.

Halo is the bottom of the barrell at sub 5k. And let’s only consider service games still actively being supported. Suicide Squad and Redfall never even made it to service phase.

Concord settling anywhere between 10-20k on steam after 2-3 months would actually be moderately successful. Anything close to Halo numbers is a fail.

Last edited:

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Not a single shred of concord discussion, how it could be better, what it does right /wrong etc in this thread. Just the same tired Sony gaas/ Sony losing their way bs that we need to go over in every thread, shits just weird at this point.

I don’t know how you guys don’t grow tired of it. I’m guessing this isn’t the place for people who don’t care about Sony’s business standing? Those who just want to try fun new games and discuss them?

I had fun with the few hours I tried the closed beta, it just feels odd how a off shoot PvP release from Sony causes so much division within its fan base. Discussion here cannot seem to go in any other direction, very disappointing.

This place is just console wars, I used to enjoy watching the Xbox discourse but even that has run tired for me. I don’t care about who has the best exclusives, who is selling what at this point that is all just tea for ultra nerds to sip, and this forum is addicted to the tribalism that comes with it. Dumb of me to think it could have been anything else

Last edited: