Concord Registers Only 1100 players during first Day of Closed Beta (Steam) | 2210 Players at Open Beta

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Hermen Hulst's perception of what a good game is seems to be tailored to reset era standards
I wish Hermen would push the studios away from realism, graphics is one thing but a lot of their characters are kinda boring because they try to make them realistic. I love Japanese and Asian games because they aren't afraid to add extreme character traits that make them cartoony and over-the-top.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
I wish Hermen would push the studios away from realism, graphics is one thing but a lot of their characters are kinda boring because they try to make them realistic. I love Japanese and Asian games because they aren't afraid to add extreme character traits that make them cartoony and over-the-top.
Video game protagonists need to be larger than life which is a big reason why anime is so popular, Herman seems like a dude who won't take any risks. We are going to keep getting the standard horizon and the marvel games, they should have poached someone from square or capcom to head up the studios.

2spooky5me

Veteran
12 May 2024

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with this mentality. But it IS true, there are too many multi-player focused games as of late.
But the problem with a lot of those "retro gamers" is that they don't have a problem if Nintendo dropped multi-player centric games, but if anyone else does, it's a problem? Even if a (non-Nintendo) game is a strong half and half experience (single and multi) they still complain.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Jim Ryan

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
is that they don't have a problem if Nintendo dropped multi-player centric games

Any evidence for that?

Even if a (non-Nintendo) game is a strong half and half experience (single and multi) they still complain.

Also not true, in fact, people wouldn't complain as much if all those GaaS had a solid offline playable single-player story.

We have seen it in the past, when SP-only games tried to introduce some kind of MP. As long as the main SP experience wasn't downgraded because of it, nobody complained. See AC or the Uncharted games.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Sony is most likely going to take a nice little pr beating. Helldivers is doing sub 30k peak and the decline should be alarming, Destiny 2’s first episode’s pacing isn’t doing great for retention either (narrative being a heavy handed gay love story sucks big time and no exotic quest yet) … And Concord is looking to launch dead on arrival.

I’m looking forward to all the bad takes from both sides of doomers and shills. Things will be fine and for D2 and Helldivers.

Concord def seems f***ed tho. Whatever they’re selling it’s pretty clear gamers don’t want it. Impressions seem generally poor outside of here too tbh.

Last edited:

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Concord def seems f***ed tho. Whatever they’re selling it’s pretty clear gamers don’t want it. Impressions seem generally poor outside of here too tbh.
Engagements on their accounts have grown a lot so it's definitely not only good impressions here. However the damage has been done.

Reactions: Jim Ryan

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Engagements on their accounts have grown a lot so it's definitely not only good impressions here. However the damage has been done.

It’s anecdotal what I’m seeing on X or reset. What I see is something along the lines of “plays well but two matches and it’s not for me.” This is also I how I felt but I feel like that about even popular games so was surprised to see it repeated. And that is outside the character design drama.

This will definitely embolden the haters. I think the mistake EA made with Anthem was not staying the course and supporting it passed launch. It’s not like Avengers and Suicide Squad did any better — in fact they were worse. Don’t give up so easily; other second generation gaas like No Mans Sky and Fallout 76 are still here and kinda thriving. I would call this third generation and believe we are in the beginning of third generation GaaS. I think I just created this… sticking with it. Let’s say Helldivers 2 marks the beginning of gen 3.

But if launch numbers are as bad as this open beta… holy s*** that will be a firestorm to see. Unfortunately the clown patrol will value Concord selling 250k far more than Helldivers selling 15 million in a year for the sake of doom.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kokoloko
24 Jun 2022
So the biggest problems Concord has (in no particular order)...

1: A lot of mostly generic and unintentionally hilariously bad character designs intended for "modern audiences". Including a rotund blueberry sphere with tanned skin and girlish haircut in '90s Missy Elliot style clothes​
2: Bad macro game mechanic in forcing players to play as characters they don't want just to get perks for characters they DO want to play​
3: Long wait times between matches (probably due to lack of players)​
4: Too much cooldown between phases in matches due to need of selecting other characters in rotation (since you can't keep playing as the same character for too long)​
5: Opt-in voice chat​
6: TTK being too long (could be a preference thing depending on the player however)​
7: Muted color palette dominated by too many desaturated earth tones, combined with a lot of heavy tertiaries & "cool" color temperature (probably due to the '70s aesthetic)​
8: Lack of conveyed personality in heroes at the selection screen (hard to give personality to a lot of generic character designs)​
9: Nothing in grand scheme of gameplay loop that "pops" and stands out when compared to other hero shooters already on the market​

That's a lot of things going against the game. I'd bet on the whole concurrent play counts never broke past 35K, maybe 40K max, between PS5 and Steam, the former heavily carrying what players it did manage to get. Sales in the launch month probably won't be that much higher than 100K or 150K globally; I don't know what else releases in August but that may or may not be enough to crack the Top 10 and even 100K is a very optimistic read for what's been a very disappointing open beta.

IMO either SIE delay the game a year or so and revamp character designs while changing the meta, or they make an emergency switch to F2P with Day 1 in PS+, and give a lot of coupons and perks to people who already preordered the game (if not just refund them on preorders). Then release the game and if it shows life after a while worth investing in it later, fine. Otherwise, start preparing Firewalk into a support studio role for games like Helldivers 2, which could use the extra hands for making content and new game modes (but let Arrowhead retain creative control/lead).

Meanwhile, make the call right now to assess Fairgame$ and either shelve that while making Haven support for other studio projects, or work tirelessly to ensure that game avoids Concord's problems with character designs, certain gameplay loop issues, QOL oversights etc. As for Marathon, if that's truly going the hero shooter route, probably best to delay it again and take it on a different path. Last I heard it was meant to be an extraction shooter; outside of Tarkov that scene isn't really saturated at all IIRC, so why dump that for a hero shooter? Unless Marathon can do something very unique (i.e hero shooter + extraction shooter + a bit of MOBA), then don't pivot it that way.

Because honestly if Fairgame$ and Marathon also fail, and Helldivers 2 doesn't get the investments it needs, SIE should just eschew the GAAS plan altogether and focus on really doubling-down with what's proven their forte. Plenty of means to make non-GAAS AAA production more cost-effective, and a lot of room to bring back non-GAAS AA releases as well. SIE probably just don't want to lean hard in that direction because it'd require more analysis and planning than dumping out 12 GAAS titles :/.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023

1: A lot of mostly generic and unintentionally hilariously bad character designs intended for "modern audiences". Including a rotund blueberry sphere with tanned skin and girlish haircut in '90s Missy Elliot style clothes​
2: Bad macro game mechanic in forcing players to play as characters they don't want just to get perks for characters they DO want to play​
4: Too much cooldown between phases in matches due to need of selecting other characters in rotation (since you can't keep playing as the same character for too long)​
6: TTK being too long (could be a preference thing depending on the player however)​
7: Muted color palette dominated by too many desaturated earth tones, combined with a lot of heavy tertiaries & "cool" color temperature (probably due to the '70s aesthetic)​
8: Lack of conveyed personality in heroes at the selection screen (hard to give personality to a lot of generic character designs)​
9: Nothing in grand scheme of gameplay loop that "pops" and stands out when compared to other hero shooters already on the market​

That's a lot of things going against the game. I'd bet on the whole concurrent play counts never broke past 35K, maybe 40K max, between PS5 and Steam, the former heavily carrying what players it did manage to get. Sales in the launch month probably won't be that much higher than 100K or 150K globally; I don't know what else releases in August but that may or may not be enough to crack the Top 10 and even 100K is a very optimistic read for what's been a very disappointing open beta.

IMO either SIE delay the game a year or so and revamp character designs while changing the meta, or they make an emergency switch to F2P with Day 1 in PS+, and give a lot of coupons and perks to people who already preordered the game (if not just refund them on preorders). Then release the game and if it shows life after a while worth investing in it later, fine. Otherwise, start preparing Firewalk into a support studio role for games like Helldivers 2, which could use the extra hands for making content and new game modes (but let Arrowhead retain creative control/lead).

Meanwhile, make the call right now to assess Fairgame$ and either shelve that while making Haven support for other studio projects, or work tirelessly to ensure that game avoids Concord's problems with character designs, certain gameplay loop issues, QOL oversights etc. As for Marathon, if that's truly going the hero shooter route, probably best to delay it again and take it on a different path. Last I heard it was meant to be an extraction shooter; outside of Tarkov that scene isn't really saturated at all IIRC, so why dump that for a hero shooter? Unless Marathon can do something very unique (i.e hero shooter + extraction shooter + a bit of MOBA), then don't pivot it that way.

Because honestly if Fairgame$ and Marathon also fail, and Helldivers 2 doesn't get the investments it needs, SIE should just eschew the GAAS plan altogether and focus on really doubling-down with what's proven their forte. Plenty of means to make non-GAAS AAA production more cost-effective, and a lot of room to bring back non-GAAS AA releases as well. SIE probably just don't want to lean hard in that direction because it'd require more analysis and planning than dumping out 12 GAAS titles :/.
1) Character issues are overblown and as some of the characters are genuinely fine and likeable.

2) you are not forced to switch characters unless you play the ONE no respawn mode and the only time you are forced to switch characters in the round is if your team wins the round, if your team loses you can select the same characters over and over again.

3) Stop associating a PC issue with the general game as I have never waited more than 15 seconds for a match and this happened when I was playing the No Respawn mode. PS5 lobbies have been full since the first beta.

4) You can play with the same character the entire match for 5 of the 6 modes? I dunno where you got your information. And you literally only wait 5 seconds after dying to get back into a match if you already know what character you're gonna select.

5) opt in voice chat, was definitely dumb on their part for sure. And not having any emote or text chat is also baffling

6) TTK is perfectly fine, not everyone want 2 second showdowns in a game where teams are constantly clashing, you have a chance to flank successful or get away from an ambush.

7) Color palates are fine

8) I don't even understand how this makes sense but whatever

9) Signal Chase is legitimately fantastic and the devs messed up not having it at the start, because many people who tried it and wrote it off, will never experience this.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
That is one of things what made the game unique and good.

That is false... except in the first hours of Closed Beta which I unlocked the new mode (that probably not everybody had unlocked yet) I never had any big wait time in this Open Beta... I was getting near instantaneous matchmaking in Open Beta.

The time to respawn is the same no matter if you choose or not another character.
And you can keep playing with the same character for the whole match 🤷‍♂️
I mean... did you play it?

Is that a issue? That is how all games should be.

TTK too long? You kill opponents in less than 1s... of course tanks take more damage to die but that is still very fast.

It is totally unique compared with others hero shooters so I have no ideia what are you talking about.
It is a team based hero shooters when support abilities are even more important that solo offensive abilities.

Last edited:

Kokoloko

Veteran
21 Jun 2022

Sony are not gonna quit making MP games if Fairgame fails too.

People who hate MP games or that Sony is making these MP games, need to get this out there mind.

The “fans” who are cheering for Sony’s MP games to fail aren't gonna make Sony quit trying to make money and just make single player games.
Its not gonna happen and your just asking for the Sony to fall back to Publishers like MS, EA etc who are doing both single player and mp games. And Im sorry but Sony just makes better games then EA and MS, so they deserve to try and make MP games.

Sony are not leaving the genres to MS, EA, Unreal and Ubisoft to bank in on Overwatch 2, Rainbow 6, Fortnite and Apex Legends.
Compared to other games they are not oversaturated yet, its just the fans of those games want a highlander situation, there can be only 1. But who the fuck died and made these fanboys in charge of a genre?

How many Open world games are there? Horror games, 1st Person shooters, RPG’s, action games? That bring nothing new to the genre.
So why cant Sony try and make a game to rival ones like Overwatch and Apex and other genres etc. Every time a studio does try to make a competitor, the fanbase attacks it.

People complaining about Woke in Concord… but how come it didnt matter when OverWatch and Apex Legends did it. With a ton of LGBT characters and some trans. Which is way more woke and in my opinion doesnt exactly have great character designs either. But all a sudden Concord deserves to die because no1 excepts Woke stuff anymore. The truth is, Sony isnt allowed to have a woke stuff, just like they arent meant to have a lead character like Stellar Blade.

I can understand the cancellation feeling from PS fans when it comes to woke, but from the media who cheers woke stuff, its all too obvious for me its just because Playstation is doing a competitor to Overwatch.

As for the game, It has its own differences and different feel of gunplay to Overwatch. Ive really enjoyed it and Im not the biggest fan of PVP shooters, but the styles make it different and fun.

There biggest mistake outside of the uninspired character design, was not having a campaign and PVE at launch. Could lure people into playing MP

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Danja

Kokoloko

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
You guys really go deep to find articles from unknown small sites to make a point :D

News flash, the gaming media has all a sudden had enough of woke stuff…. While still cheering Overwatch. I dont know how it isnt obvious to people

Reactions: Danja

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Fairgame$ has a better shot than Concord. It's main competition, Payday, has not been favorable lately.

Concord needed to strike gold and it didn't. They failed miserably at making a striking enough game to make a splash. High fidelty sony graphics don't cut it for pvp games.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Fairgame$ has a better shot than Concord. It's main competition, Payday, has not been favorable lately.

Concord needed to strike gold and it didn't. They failed miserably at making a striking enough game to make a splash. High fidelty sony graphics don't cut it for pvp games.

I really think a campaign would of helped it and PVE modes. Brought people in.
Then the story could of progressed with the current PVP/ PVE plan, an optional thing. The campaign could of been how the crew got together or something

Im sure when Fairgame comes, everyone will start loving Payday with added content at that time and Fairgame will get a buch of its own hate lol

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
The $ sign at the end in fairgames is the most cringiest shit that even hollywood can't come up with, it will be the canadian version of concord lol