CONFIRMED: Guerrilla are the ones pushing PlayStation to put games on other platforms

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAss

24 May 2024
I believe it started with Death Stranding PC port. Cory tweeted something like "why this ps game can be ported and we cannot?" It's like a chain reaction. Now you will have other ps studios thinking "why can't we start releasing our games on switch too?"

OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
such a coincidence he used to work for Nintendo, right?

he knows Nintendo would NEVER put any Mario intelectual proprierty on PlayStation, being LEGO or not
AEMaoKD.png

OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
I believe it started with Death Stranding PC port. Cory tweeted something like "why this ps game can be ported and we cannot?" It's like a chain reaction. Now you will have other ps studios thinking "why can't we start releasing our games on switch too?"
and that's why i say this Kojima partnership did more harm than good to PlayStation

OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
Has rather to do with the bigger picture, LEGO makes adaptations of big IPs like Star Wars & Harry Potter etc. We've seen the execs of HQ talking about IP & entertainment focus than their ''traditional approach'' so this goes beyond Guerilla, we are gonna see more IP go to LEGO with ports including merch/toys and movie adaptations no doubt.

I will say it is peculiar and you could raise your eyebrows that the former 2nd party of Nintendo has been pushing this since he has been employed at Guerilla. But from a franchise director point it makes sense since Nintendo is the gateway console to kids aka the new generation. You are not wrong of Sackboy or R&C potentially going there, David Jaffe has been vouching for this for awhile. Kids will ask for toys and bring their parents to movie adaptations. R&C running on Steam(deck) is nothing different than being on Switch2 if you ask me.

I have to bring it up again and again but Shawn Layden is the one that started PC ports. You can say Guerilla and Horizon specifically is being used to experiment with PC, Plus and now Switch but these commands go above or need to be greenlit by those above.
you think Shawn Layden alone was responsible for the PC push? really? you're this innocent?

OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
"your platform of choice", minus Xbox because we couldn't convince SIE to put it there (yet, but with hermen as the CEO... matter of time too)
7Pl3eHR.png

MrAss

24 May 2024
such a coincidence he used to work for Nintendo, right?

he knows Nintendo would NEVER put any Mario intelectual proprierty on PlayStation, being LEGO or not
AEMaoKD.png
Lmao so his previous work was basically bringing exclusive games to switch from third party studios. And now he's doing a complete opposite for PS bringing a first party game to a competitive platform

• Informative
Reactions: Neversummer

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
Has rather to do with the bigger picture, LEGO makes adaptations of big IPs like Star Wars & Harry Potter etc. We've seen the execs of HQ talking about IP & entertainment focus than their ''traditional approach'' so this goes beyond Guerilla, we are gonna see more IP go to LEGO with ports including merch/toys and movie adaptations no doubt.

I will say it is peculiar and you could raise your eyebrows that the former 2nd party of Nintendo has been pushing this since he has been employed at Guerilla. But from a franchise director point it makes sense since Nintendo is the gateway console to kids aka the new generation. You are not wrong of Sackboy or R&C potentially going there, David Jaffe has been vouching for this for awhile. Kids will ask for toys and bring their parents to movie adaptations. R&C running on Steam(deck) is nothing different than being on Switch2 if you ask me.

I have to bring it up again and again but Shawn Layden is the one that started PC ports. You can say Guerilla and Horizon specifically is being used to experiment with PC, Plus and now Switch but these commands go above or need to be greenlit by those above.

There are exclusive LEGO games on Nintendo platforms.

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
you think Shawn Layden alone was responsible for the PC push? really? you're this innocent?
I am innocent but in the manner you mean: It was his idea he confirmed this on cam @WUPS podcast on the comments of PC ports. Lot of nuggets in general, great interview also on live-service ;). PC push btw on 1:32:58

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
I am innocent but in the manner you mean: It was his idea he confirmed this on cam @WUPS podcast on the comments of PC ports. Lot of nuggets in general, great interview also on live-service ;). PC push btw on 1:32:58

There's a difference between what Shawn was doing, and what SIE quickly shifted to doing after Shawn left.

Also can't stress enough; Shawn's exit was rather abrupt. There were probably plans SIE had that he did not agree with. For example, porting almost all of their newer games to PC only halfway through a new console gen, is likely not something Shawn wanted.

A port of Predator: Hunting Grounds (a B-tier GAAS) is way different from what SIE started doing with HZD.

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
You guys do realize that all the developers want their games everywhere so more people can play them. No developer want to waste five years of their life developing a game just so a few million people can play them when there's potential for tens of millions.

You guys really need to get over this shit and let it go because if you believe that Sony isn't going to do more multi-platform games then well, you're as delusional as the Xbox fans who thought it was just four games.

• haha
Reactions: Gods&Monsters
OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023

he literally says it was in his and in a lot of other peoples minds at Sony to put games on PC

OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
You guys do realize that all the developers want their games everywhere so more people can play them. No developer want to waste five years of their life developing a game just so a few million people can play them when there's potential for tens of millions.

You guys really need to get over this shit and let it go because if you believe that Sony isn't going to do more multi-platform games then well, you're as delusional as the Xbox fans who thought it was just four games.
few million people: Horizon Zero Dawn sold 20M on PS alone

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
few million people: Horizon sold 20M on PS alone

In almost 8 years which is a few million a year and when your platform has 120m user install base, being around 17% attach rate isn't a great as people want to believe. And when you add in 140m+ for Switch, PC with 200m between Steam and Epic. I mean come on. Percentage wise, it's very minuscule when compared to what it could be.

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
he literally says it was in his and in a lot of other peoples minds at Sony to put games on PC
Just stating Pandora's box was opened under Layden and confirmed by himself. I take the word of ex-CEO.
There's a difference between what Shawn was doing, and what SIE quickly shifted to doing after Shawn left.

Also can't stress enough; Shawn's exit was rather abrupt. There were probably plans SIE had that he did not agree with. For example, porting almost all of their newer games to PC only halfway through a new console gen, is likely not something Shawn wanted.

A port of Predator: Hunting Grounds (a B-tier GAAS) is way different from what SIE started doing with HZD.
I just specifically pointed out that the PC ports didn't necessarily come from Guerilla only that's all. Shawn also points out they have done ports before like Wipeout on N64 and PC games with Everquest under Sony Online Entertainment. The moment Jim Ryan left officially the PC ports of having gaps of 2-3 years has been immediately shortened, that's not a coincidence.

Nothing to do with my personal stance on the subject.

MrAss

24 May 2024
In almost 8 years which is a few million a year and when your platform has 120m user install base, being around 17% attach rate isn't a great as people want to believe. And when you add in 140m+ for Switch, PC with 200m between Steam and Epic. I mean come on. Percentage wise, it's very minuscule when compared to what it could be.
Without exclusives there wouldn't even be a 120m install base to begin with. There are multiplatform games releasing on everything and still cannot reach 20 or even 10 mil

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
PC: started with Horizon Zero Dawn
Competing Consoles: started with Horizon Lego Adventures

Hermen Hulst: CEO Of PlayStation

don't be shocked if you end up seeing a Horizon Zero Dawn port for the Switch 2
PS is nothing more than Xbox with a better brand. The downfall of PS will have to be studied especially when PS6 comes around & you see GOW 2018 & GOW ragnarok & TLOU 1&2 get a Switch 2.

Be ready to invest in a PC, Steamdeck or Switch 2 because investing in PS is just costing way more then if you invested on a competitor’s platform + other competitors platform has defacto permanent exclusive there won’t be a deadlock PS port or a Half Lyfe 3 PS port nor will there be any PS ports of Nintendo games

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Etifilio

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
you don't care yet, on Horizon Lego Adventures they've put costumes for other PlayStation IPs like Sackboy and Ratchet & Clank, this could already be a sign of what's to come if this game succeds on Nintendo Switch
LEGO-Horizonnnn.jpg
I do care, but out of all the games porting. This is the least problem

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Out of all the ports. This is one I dont care about. Its a lego game. And its probably the only way I think spreading PS in a good way, not using PS studio games.

But for everything else, its sucks and Im sure Hermen is a big part of it. I doubt he has the power to single handily choose, but pushing for it, yeah I have no doubt. Along with stupid graphs, charts and figures that doesnt include potential loss and all the issues it causes.
It’s not about the game it’s about PS devs especially the western/eu pushing to develop on competitors platform that have permanent exclusive & has double down on exclusive games & certainly not time exclusive in the case of Valve & Nintendo they have permanent exclusive that would never go to PS.

PS is doing the same thing as Xbox which is questionable seeing the state of Xbox it’s like PS devs don’t care if PS dies because that will happen when the PS6 gets reveal. Just look how slow people have transition to PS4 & PS5 now see how long it will take for people to transition to PS5 to PS6 when PS isn’t investing in the first party to create more first party games & PS is loosing 3rd party partners

Reactions: Kokoloko

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
HFW PC barely sold 500k, it might never reach 1 million. Where are these "tens of millions customers"? Multiplat don't even sell these amounts. Sony and Nintendo exclusives are actually the king of sales.

Ubisoft is looking at you wondering what crack you're smoking. You make it sound like all multiplat games sell like GTA. There's way more flops than success stories.

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
Without exclusives there wouldn't even be a 120m install base to begin with. There are multiplatform games releasing on everything and still cannot reach 20 or even 10 mil

The difference is that there's way more multi-platform games out there every month. If exclusives were at the extent of multi-platform, the vast majority of them would bomb easily. Most of all though, it's no longer about exclusives. It's about your digital collection and someone who has a shit ton of digital games (or even physical) isn't leaving their preferred platform because a few games go on other platforms. Why would they? To spend more money? That would make no sense.

For anyone who ONLY cares about exclusivity, I would suggest going to Nintendo 100%.

Status
Not open for further replies.