Cross gen ps4/PS5 games still around. Your thoughts?

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
As I look for gaming info to make threads on new releases I realize that so many smaller to mid sized titles are still gross gen ps4/5 and we are basically three years since PS5 release. What are your thoughts? Me, personally for smaller dev teams with limited budgets I think gross gen is the way to go to reach as many ppl as possible while covering their costs. For big budget exclusives I want them to be PS5 native and only in next gen consoles so it doesn't restrict the games scope in anyway. How do you feel?

Last edited:
Reactions: arvfab

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Smaller games I dont care about.

1st party and bigger games should of been PS5 next gen only from launch or at least 2021.

Playstation and Nintendo rarely release new games for there previous consoles once a new one has come out. Same with Xbox

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
As long as PS first-party games are PS5 only and optimized, I’m good. Third-party studios aren’t going to optimize for the PS5 hardware anyway, cross-gen or not.

Last edited:

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
Cross gen will always be a thing for 3rd party publishers. The PS4 gen was the new baseline, I'm pretty sure we will still see PS4 games when PS6 is out and it wont matter because a PS6 will play all PS4 and PS5 games.

toadsage44

22 Jun 2022
West Virginia, USA
I think it's time to fully adopt the not-so-new consoles, but I wouldn't complain if Square would release physical copies of FF9 and the FF13 trilogy on PS4 before that happens so I can say I have all the main single player FF games from 1-15 physically on the same console. That probably won't happen, however.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Diminishing returns are a thing so it makes sense that a lot of games are releasing on older consoles, as long as it they are profitable. Even 8th generation consoles are overkill tech wise for a lot of indie games on the market. AAA uber demanding games are only a small % of all the releases that a console gets. Those are the only ones that push a console to their limits and require better hardware.

They might as well continue releasing these games with PS4/Xbox one versions as the baseline and all next gen consoles get is a resolution FPS boost. For indie games, it wont make much of a difference.

reziel

Banned
12 Jun 2023
People are still playing catch up for the Ps5 so it makes sense that the smaller devs are the main focus on cross gen since most of their profit would come from the Ps4. Bigger devs though is kinda a hit or miss they know people will buy the lower end (Ps4) and rebuy for the higher end (Ps5) if we're talking full price for a game twice yeah no that's not OK. Sega being the main example of a larger dev doing this. Persona 5 Royal, Yakuza 7, Judgment are prime examples even worse none of your progress can be transfered from the Ps4 to Ps5 but yet smaller devs could do that no problem.

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
Yeah it's wild to me that it will have been basically 3 full years before I purchased a single built from the ground up for PS5 game, which will be Spider-man 2

We don't need better tech to make amazing games. Its a non issue

Sounds like the new tech is absolutely making SM2 a better game with the ability to swing faster

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
Just weird all these new games look great graphically but the gameplay itself in all of them are just looks like it’s lacking real innovation.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Just weird all these new games look great graphically but the gameplay itself in all of them are just looks like it’s lacking real innovation.
I enjoy a good many but my backlog is crazy!

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Alll tThe whining about cross-gen over the last two years and now current gen games are struggling and looking shaky as hell in comparison lol

Horizon is still shitting on the majority of these current gen games graphics and performance wise

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Alll tThe whining about cross-gen over the last two years and now current gen games are struggling and looking shaky as hell in comparison lol

Horizon is still shitting on the majority of these current gen games graphics and performance wise
Been same scenario for awhile and no the answer isn't mid gen refresh. Devs barely even have time to get to know current gen hardware.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Been same scenario for awhile and no the answer isn't mid gen refresh. Devs barely even have time to get to know current gen hardware.

Its just a matter of time and resources at this point. GTA6 will look crazy cause they pretty much have an unlimited budget and no time constraints in making it.

Naughty dog, Suckerpunch, Santa Monica, etc are gonna have to find a way to put out games with under a certain budget within the next couple of years

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Nearly all multiplayer games will be in cross gen forever as we move from gen to gen. Even if older hardware is dropped by these games… they’re still gonna be trying to cover 10 years of hardware spec just to reach the most potential users.

PC is mostly the reason as games need to be scaleable and next gen capable pcs lag behind next gen capable consoles in users. Series S and Switch 2 will only further add to this situation.

So the only next gen games will be Sony’s single player games… well I’d also add cyberpunk to that very small list.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
3rd party cross-gen will always exists.

The issue was with 1st party cross-gen… Sony should had focus on PS5 only since beguining.

GT7, Horizon, etc should be PS5 only.

You are the owner of the platform and should support it.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
3rd party cross-gen will always exists.

The issue was with 1st party cross-gen… Sony should had focus on PS5 only since beguining.

GT7, Horizon, etc should be PS5 only.

You are the owner of the platform and should support it.

Ragnarok and Horizon being cross gen benefitted their sales performance. I can’t really agree to that. And they still look competitive and better than most “next gen” games.

Reactions: Alabtrosmyster