Cross gen ps4/PS5 games still around. Your thoughts?

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
As long as first party stops doing it, I don't really care.

ineedthisforreactions GIF

I don’t care what 3rd party developers do, they ain’t pushing the envelope anyway outside of Rockstar

Reactions: Gamernyc78

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Ragnarok and Horizon being cross gen benefitted their sales performance. I can’t really agree to that. And they still look competitive and better than most “next gen” games.
IMO.

Horizon got a better treatment... you can see the roots are on PS4 but Guerillha worked to try to give us something better on PS5.
Sadly not everything is possible... so with the DLC being exclusive they did a even better job.

Ragnarok recycled a lot form the previous game... and the upgrade for PS4 was not in the same level as Horizon.
GoW used to be a graphical showcase of PlayStation but Ragnarok just was not that showcase due it roots on PS4.
I wonder what Santa Monica could do like they did in the past... making the engine exclusive for PS5 and making Ragnarok over it.

I mean Santa Monica was never happy with only better than most "next gen".
They always aimed to be the peak graphics at launch across all platforms (yeap having better graphcis even than PC games).

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
ineedthisforreactions GIF

I don’t care what 3rd party developers do, they ain’t pushing the envelope anyway outside of Rockstar
There's a few other third parties pushing or making good liking games but yeah as long as first party is pushing I'm happy.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Idc about crossgen as long as first party isn't the one doing them

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
I’ve resigned to the idea that the series s existing pretty much limits what most 3rd party devs are gonna do anyway

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I’ve resigned to the idea that the series s existing pretty much limits what most 3rd party devs are gonna do anyway
Every gen is a diff excuse. It goes from oh they have to include the switch, to "oh cross gen" and now the Series S. It is what it is and first parties just have to be the breathe of fresh air to push tech.

Last edited:

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
1st party wont push the envelope much of they keep offering 4k or 60 FPS modes. To give something worthy of being next gen on a console, they would have to max it out at 1080p 30.

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
I could’ve held out and mainlined PS4 a little longer but I do get massive enjoyment out of the boost in graphics and playability that comes with owning the latest console.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I could’ve held out and mainlined PS4 a little longer but I do get massive enjoyment out of the boost in graphics and playability that comes with owning the latest console.
No way. Can't go back to waiting 5 minute loading screens

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
I hate the "idea" of cross-gen. Im the fuck ps3-ps4 cross gen guy from gaf :oops:. Bit of depressive life experiences and an autism diagnosis later, and it seems that not being able to "code to the next gen metal" is really one of the least of their worries. I've sort-of 180'ed on it to be honest.

We've seen jap devs in the past complain about "HD development". If that holds true still, a PS4 level/PS4 Pro+ level device still around would give those devs a stop-gap level to reseed the AA level of games that dont have to be 7 year epic developments, whilst Sony pushes others forward with exclusitivity deals so they can code to PS5's metal without having to waste time/resources factoring in ps4, xb, switch or pc ports. Cut a game funding/equipment split and use all of Sony's fancy motion capture studios etc. If not money saved on an exclusitivity deal it'll be the turnaround time the infrastructure setup allows-for without the multiplatform sku's.

Between pc port focus, mobile no-name studio purchases, development issues/game cancellations, half-products released to die, MS and other vultures spending money to own first and then downsizing on workforce after the deed is done, it just seems disingenuous to complain about PS4 cross-gen, at least that's still in their own ecosystem. Hell, PS5 is BC, if they can just get some PS3 games to PS4 workability, they'll also work on PS5 and you offer it to the PS5 and PS4 marketshares, and both must be up there as some of the best etc. I'm still dreaming tech loops around and maybe a mid-gen refresh comes in pro/slim/last gen handheld flavors in future, as streaming isn't reliable enough in my experience.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
No way. Can't go back to waiting 5 minute loading screens
I'd kill for a PS4 Pro Max with PS5's loading times and WiFi/bt chips. I loath PS5's dashboard and controller, but the load time improvements are no joke.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Given what passes as "next-gen" only games these days I really don't care at all, pretty much all next-gen only games essentially seem to use the extra power to not have to optimize their game properly, they don't do anything too special. An exception is Ratchet & Clank.

and I love 120ish fps way more than anything else the new generation can give us.

That being said, I think real games that uses the extra power of the PS5 to do things that would just not happen on a PS4, or in ways that would not work would be great.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Given what passes as "next-gen" only games these days I really don't care at all, pretty much all next-gen only games essentially seem to use the extra power to not have to optimize their game properly, they don't do anything too special. An exception is Ratchet & Clank.

and I love 120ish fps way more than anything else the new generation can give us.

That being said, I think real games that uses the extra power of the PS5 to do things that would just not happen on a PS4, or in ways that would not work would be great.
Yeah devs barely even have time to come to grips with the hardware they are using now.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Yeah devs barely even have time to come to grips with the hardware they are using now.
Yes, but that goes beyond that. The latest Microsoft releases are just strangely broken at so many levels, you would expect this from ... not a big company that has its reputation on the line.

Three next gen games in the last few months, all arguably looking dated and their dated look is not used to push performance. Forza is especially confusing because it comes from a team that usually delivers a good product, within schedule.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Yes, but that goes beyond that. The latest Microsoft releases are just strangely broken at so many levels, you would expect this from ... not a big company that has its reputation on the line.

Three next gen games in the last few months, all arguably looking dated and their dated look is not used to push performance. Forza is especially confusing because it comes from a team that usually delivers a good product, within schedule.
If you don’t expect Microsoft games to have sunken to the depths of where the rest of their software resides, I guess you’re quite the optimist.

Microsoft’s corporate culture guarantees mediocrity. Every head of Xbox before Phill the Shill left the role due to constant clashes with the corporate mothership pushing for cheaper and faster, quality be damned.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Gamepass effect, we all knew it was coming. I bet my life they limited budgets due to gamepass.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
If you don’t expect Microsoft games to have sunken to the depths of where the rest of their software resides, I guess you’re quite the optimist.

Microsoft’s corporate culture guarantees mediocrity. Every head of Xbox before Phill the Shill left the role due to constant clashes with the corporate mothership pushing for cheaper and faster, quality be damned.
I didn't know they still made software, it feels more like nagware to me.