Cyberpunk 2077 devs say developing sequel on Unreal Engine 5 is a "challenge"

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
cyberpunk-2077-judy_PnQUxve.jpg

Cyberpunk 2077's lead quest designer Pawel Sasko has shared a few thoughts on the next Cyberpunk game, the mysterious "Orion" project. It's at a very early stage, with a core team that currently includes Cyberpunk 2077 game director Gabriel Amatangelo, narrative director Igor Sarinski and Sarah Gruemmer, expert quest designer, who worked on the storyline for Judy Alvarez in the previous game. They've all moved or are in the process of moving from Poland to Boston in the USA, where CD Projekt have opened a new office. One of the major challenges, right now, is getting to grips with Epic's Unreal Engine.

Orion runs on Unreal Engine, where its predecessor ran on CD Projekt's in-house RED Engine.

We've been working for quite some time already at this point on Unreal

Sasko observed, in a wide-ranging interview with The Neon Arcade.

There's a lot of work to be done when it comes to the toolset specifically and so on, because there are so many I would say specific things that our RED engine was tailored for.

"So of course, we need to make sure that all of that is built properly, so that we can do the games exactly the way we we want to," he said. "And you know, the work is ongoing here." He commented that "the advantages of Unreal are probably quite apparent", but it's far too early to go into details.

Learning how to develop an Unreal Engine game has also meant learning how to work with Unreal's publisher, Epic Games:

"Working together with Epic is a completely new thing for us, it's a challenge for one thing but also it's an honour. It's a huge studio - they have an incredible amount of engineers, very seasoned engineers. So it's something that we can also learn from. I don't understand the challenge as a difficulty, but more as an opportunity - I see so much space to actually do something awesome, so I'm actually really looking forward to that, but there's lot of work to be done on that front."

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Look at CDPR’s track record and tell me that they’re challenged by any and all engines that have ever existed or will ever exist, including their own!

Reactions: Entropi