Cyberpunk reaches more active players than Starfield on Steam

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
cyberpunk-starfield-steam.jpg

From Dexerto:

Cyberpunk 2077 has gained more active players than Starfield on Steam since the release of Update 2.0, as the popularity of CD Projekt RED’s action RPG continues to surge...The current active player count for Cyberpunk 2077 on Steam is 113,611, while the current online player count is 169,711. Starfield, on the other hand, has 73,537 active players as of today, but more online players than Cyberpunk which amounts to 187,485...After the release of Update 2.0 for Cyberpunk 2077, the game climbed to the seventh position in active player count, securing the top spot for the week’s best-selling titles on Steam and pushing Starfield off to the tenth on the list.
From SteamDB as of writing thist post, Cyberpunk has 112,697 CCUs, and Starfield 108,748, and a 24h peak of 151,422 and 151,200 for Cyberpunk and Starfield respectively.

This rising player count comes off the back of Cyberpunk's 2.0 release and upcoming and already well received Phantom Liberty DLC, leading some sites such as PC Gamer to write post-Starfield:

The argument that Starfield's larger scale justifies its constant repetition just doesn't make sense to me. Cyberpunk is absolutely huge as well. And it feels large in a more meaningful way. It's not segmented by countless loading screens, and every space flows into the next, making each trip across it feel like a cohesive journey.
Every district, every street, tells you part of the story of Night City. The environment is your constant narrator, and at first walking through it might give you sensory overload, but it's worth the price of admission. It's a sprawling metropolis that I've properly gotten to know, unlike the substantially blander settlements and planets of Starfield.
How this trend pans out for the upcoming weekend will be interesting to see. It seems as if Starfield is getting close to dropping under 100k CCUs outside of peak times, having failed to get anywhere near BG3, and pressure from Cyberpunk may have a substantial impact on the remaining players.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nimrota

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
I’m not surprised. Maybe MS will release a fixed version of SF 3 years from now.
Core issues in Starfield aren't things easily fixed is the issue. Writing, facial animations, presentation, narrative design, core gameplay systems, visuals, etc, all can't be easily overhauled without extensive work, and there isn't justification for extensive work considering they're pushing the line it was a success. Meanwhile I played CP77 on release (both PS4 version on PS5 and PC) and it's issues were bugs, performance, but everything else (writing, narrative, presentation) it did well. Larger flawed systems in CP77 such as police have taken 3 years to fix, and I'm sure Bethesda could implement similar changes to smaller systems, but are they going to overhaul tiles? Loading screens? Segemented zones in the cities? No. I certainly enjoyed the ~2h intro of CP77 on launch more than 30h of Starfield at launch.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Playing soon. Even with all the scope of space, Starfield doesn't attract me as much as Phantom Liberty.

OP
OP
Nimrota

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
Numbers are even worse now that Phantom Liberty launched (which happened after my post). 148k Cyberpunk, 109k Starfield. Ouch 😬.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Just broke 220k. I’m guessing it can break 500k. Cyberpunk back in business.

BlueLyria

Icon Extra
29 Apr 2023
I played Cyberpunk 2077 on release (pc), first ps5 update and this week again. It is just a better game overall, better writing, better designed, more graphically appealing, better skill trees and better gunplay.
Even at 1.0 it was better, it took a few days for hot fixes and patches to drop (faster than bethesda with ms money lol), and it was better optimized even at that point, Starfield is simply a mess, even it's core narrative isn't even close to cyberpunk

Reactions: Box
OP
OP
Nimrota

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
I played Cyberpunk 2077 on release (pc), first ps5 update and this week again. It is just a better game overall, better writing, better designed, more graphically appealing, better skill trees and better gunplay.
Even at 1.0 it was better, it took a few days for hot fixes and patches to drop (faster than bethesda with ms money lol), and it was better optimized even at that point, Starfield is simply a mess, even it's core narrative isn't even close to cyberpunk
I played PS4 on launch and PC. Backlash was 100% warranted for PS4 version, PC yeah game was unpolished, had bugs, and missing features, but the core of it was really good. Heist at beginning, Jackie, etc are all really well done. Contrast that to my 30h of Starfield and I genuinely think there is nothing redeemable. I can't see a good game there. I don't even know what they could possibly fix to make it good. Cyberpunk it was clear: fix performance, remove bugs, fully implement the systems missing/half finished. With Starfield the closest I can imagine is tripling the amount of content for POIs, weapons, how procedural generation is done, performance, rework all the companions, redo temples, rewrite 90% of the quests, etc. Basically make a new game, which will never happen.
View attachment 2401

what'd I say? Bethesda fans are masochists.
3 weeks from launch and this is the point Starfield defenders are at. "Yeah it's steaming pile of shit but idk I keep eating?"