Dark Pictures and Until Dawn studio Supermassive has been acquire by

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phmurrph

6 Jul 2022
... Nordisk Games.

I don't know if this is new, but I just saw it.

After taking a 30.7% stake in 2021, Nordisk Games has now acquired 100% of Supermasssive, the pair announced on Tuesday. Supermassive Games was the ninth addition to its portfolio and Nordisk Games’ first investment in the UK.
“It’s been a little over a year since Nordisk Games made an initial investment in Supermassive Games and our vision for the future,” said Pete Samuels, CEO of Supermassive Games.

“During that time, we have found that we share a lot of important values with Mikkel and his team, and we believe these values to be equally important to our existing commercial partners who we will continue to support.

“Having had such a positive experience over the past year it wasn’t a difficult decision when Nordisk Games wanted to explore increasing their investment. We have an exciting and ambitious growth strategy for Supermassive Games and Nordisk Games ownership only enhances that.
Mikkel Weider, CEO of Nordisk Games, added: “In the year we’ve worked alongside Pete and Joe and the whole Supermassive team, it’s been clear to us the amount of talent, as well as how much potential there is to further develop the kinds of story and narrative-driven games they excel at.

“In acquiring 100% of the studio we’ll be able to increase our support to the team, and most importantly, continue the great working relationship we have with them.”

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Oh ffs. Good going Sony.

I think it was too late anyway.

Nordisk had already purchased 30% of Supermassive. Now bought the remaining 70%.

Seriously though these Scandinavian publishers are getting absolute bargains.

Embracer Group has managed to assemble the largest amount of development studios without really breaking the bank. Their purchase Square Enixs Western studios and IPs was daylight robbery.

Reactions: Phmurrph

Darth Vader

Master of the Dark Side
18 Jun 2022
Interesting bug on the OP.

Not a bug. It's an article thread. I've removed article threads as they are not relevant for this forum, however I'm keeping this one.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
I think it was too late anyway.

Nordisk had already purchased 30% of Supermassive. Now bought the remaining 70%.

Seriously though these Scandinavian publishers are getting absolute bargains.

Embracer Group has managed to assemble the largest amount of development studios without really breaking the bank. Their purchase Square Enixs Western studios and IPs was daylight robbery.

Sony could have out-numbered their shares, or got in on the game earlier. I cant believe Sony, a primarily single player/story focused entity, didnt grab SuperMassive and Telltale during PS4 era and really corner their market.

As for putting on PC... they are primarily one-dip story games in contrast to MS' gamepass strategy and MP/GAAS service... even more at the mercy of pirating on pc as well as YouTube game movies but they cant do much about that aspect. That's why they should have cultivated netflix-style watch/play parties and cross branded with media efforts. "coming to a PS near you this summer, the slasher", "last summer it was your PS, now, not even Netflix is safe..."

Weather that means a tv show based on successful game reception, or slicing it up simillar to Black Mirror Bandersnatch (there was DualSence pictures in that old Netflix Shark leak wasnt there?).

Sigh... Im so disappointed in Sony's seeming ineptitude and lack of vision.

Reactions: Ezekiel

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Another one…. Sony should of acquired

When are we gonna hear about Sony’s reply to Bethesda let alone Activision?
Not talking 80 billion, but how about a publisher or 2 with that money you got Sony, before they all get bought out by the competition and big companies like Google, Amazon, MS Etc

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: ksdixon

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Rose Mciver Reaction GIF by CBS

Happy for the SuperMassive, I hope they stay multiplatform so Sony can still get some benefit after missing the opportunity.

Sony... Just... What are you doing? I have to literally walk away from computer atm, least I get banned for cussing Sony and Jim out. Get your shit together.

Reactions: Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Rose Mciver Reaction GIF by CBS

Happy for the SuperMassive, I hope they stay multiplatform so Sony can still get some benefit after missing the opportunity.

Sony... Just... What are you doing? I have to literally walk away from computer atm, least I get banned for cussing Sony and Jim out. Get your shit together.

Exactly what I came here to say!

Sony could have done with one of these types of games every year or two to change things up....and after losing Quantic Dream too....

It really seems like Sony doesn't have their mind on what THEIR audience wants.

• fire
OP
OP
Phmurrph

Phmurrph

6 Jul 2022
Sony could have done with one of these types of games every year or two to change things up....and after losing Quantic Dream too....

It really seems like Sony doesn't have their mind on what THEIR audience wants.
I think we're about to witness the end of an era not just for Sony but the whole industry during this generation, and I don't think I'm gonna like it.

We Are Doomed Reaction GIF

• brain

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I think we're about to witness the end of an era not just for Sony but the whole industry during this generation, and I don't think I'm gonna like it.

We Are Doomed Reaction GIF

I just think like this....

They have a target audience and instead they are looking at audiences that don't care and will never care about Sony.

That's why Nintendo are not chasing GAAS.... or F2P..... they know their audience, they know what type of person they are trying to sell to.

People will go to them if they want what they have and nobody else is doing what they do.

• fire
OP
OP
Phmurrph

Phmurrph

6 Jul 2022
That's why Nintendo are not chasing GAAS.... or F2P..... they know their audience, they know what type of person they are trying to sell to.

The GAAS and F2P audiences are too unstable, they're just looking for the next big thing. The thing is that Sony only needs one of those 10 GAAS games they're making to be a hit. That one game pays them for the rest. Then they'll produce another 10 GAAS and so on...

• they're_right_you_know

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Sony have been a sleepy giant for too long. Half the stuff they do appear wrong, and they miss opportunities too. Can we get Jim some smelling salts or something?

• they're_right_you_know
OP
OP
Phmurrph

Phmurrph

6 Jul 2022
Sony have been a sleepy giant for too long. Half the stuff they do appear wrong, and they miss opportunities too. Can we get Jim some smelling salts or something?

Well, they seem to be better than ever, actually, and that's sad because of the direction they're going to.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
It's not about money. Or even social media metrics. If I show you not a lot but then give you one breadcrumb, you'd likely think that was the best breadcrumb ever.

Their losing their identity piece by piece. Nero fiddles while Rome burns.

Status
Not open for further replies.