DDR5 timings : lower CL vs faster MHz speed in real world gaming performances ?

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
What? Did you read what I said?

VRAM doesn't care about timing... so GDDR is made for that... raw speeds without care about timing.
And it is where you gain most in games... if you overclock your GDDR to high speeds it is where you see most gains in your games performance.

SystemRAM is more about how fast the response time is... so timing.... it where a DDR even with lower speeds can give you better performance because it is has better timing or lower CAS latency.
CAS latency here matter more than speed.
Unless the difference between speeds is too big a lower latency RAM will outperform a higher latency RAM.

And I will say again... overclocking your VRAM to better speeds will give you more for gaming than having less latency DDR for SystemRAM.
For games having SystemRAM with better or worst latency doesn't make that much difference.... you are looking at 1-2% max different that is imo imperceptible in your games.

We are talking about games... unless you change your GPU (or overclock it) the results in games will be very small just changing the DDR for higher speeds or better CAS latency.

I read what you said, and guess what, you fucked up. Either you didn't understand the question, or you tried to act (again) as a know it all and fucked yourself into a corner.

OP is asking about system RAM, not VRAM, so your spew about VRAM matters fuck all. And thanks for repeating what I said, I didn't know I needed a parrot.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I read what you said, and guess what, you fucked up. Either you didn't understand the question, or you tried to act (again) as a know it all and fucked yourself into a corner.

OP is asking about system RAM, not VRAM, so your spew about VRAM matters fuck all. And thanks for repeating what I said, I didn't know I needed a parrot.
What I said is correctly and explained everything OP needs to know.
Making your weird comment about being incorrect lol well weird.

It looks to me that you guys doesn't even care to give good advice to the OP.

Last edited:
OP
OP
iAMJeffy

iAMJeffy

29 Oct 2022
From what I've been reading, memory speeds MHZ matters the most in DDR5 and Intel builds.

Then the CL timings.

I'm going to do benchmarks in real games when I get my new PC TMR and see. It comes by default with 16gb generic ddr5 5200, I ordered the team group 32gb ddr5 6000 CL38 and the Corsair 32gb ddr5 6400 CL32 set. If there's not much diff in games , I might as well save the 50% premium and go with team group. We will see. I'll show it here as well for those interested.

What are some good benchmarking programs besides 3d mark?

CS2 was melting my 9700k and 1080ti when I was playing over the weekend , went into low 80s during gaming load.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
From what I've been reading, memory speeds MHZ matters the most in DDR5 and Intel builds.

Then the CL timings.

I'm going to do benchmarks in real games when I get my new PC TMR and see. It comes by default with 16gb generic ddr5 5200, I ordered the team group 32gb ddr5 6000 CL38 and the Corsair 32gb ddr5 6400 CL32 set. If there's not much diff in games , I might as well save the 50% premium and go with team group. We will see. I'll show it here as well for those interested.

What are some good benchmarking programs besides 3d mark?

CS2 was melting my 9700k and 1080ti when I was playing over the weekend , went into low 80s during gaming load.
for DDR5 the subtimings matter almost more than the main timings, I would recommend you not go down the rabbithole if you don't care about a 2-5% difference. I am not joking when I say it takes days of work to lock them in.

• Surprised
Reactions: iAMJeffy
OP
OP
iAMJeffy

iAMJeffy

29 Oct 2022
for DDR5 the subtimings matter almost more than the main timings, I would recommend you not go down the rabbithole if you don't care about a 2-5% difference. I am not joking when I say it takes days of work to lock them in.

Yeah I'm probably not going to oc them. Sounds like a lot of work just to stabilize. Just going to test the real world diff for their marketed speeds and see if that translates to fps gains.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Strictly for gaming thwre used to be few games that benefited heavily from higher RAM speeds. Maybe that changed with this new generation. I don't know. In any case you should look for the games you are going to play the most and see if they benefit from faster ram.

Pecking order the way I see it:

Capacity: 16 GB minimum. 32 GB for future proofing. That should get you covered even though the ps6 era. If you can max out your ram, I would recommend as compatibility can be a PITA at times if you have to buy new ram years from now.

Latency: lower latency better for everyday system usage and responsiveness.

Speeds: I would use the money you save from buying top end RAM for other components.

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Anyone have enough experience with ddr5 or know about if lower CL's are worth the premium price over higher CL and similar MHz speeds for real world gaming performances ? I'm deciding between these two sets of RAM and their respective price / performance:

Which one would you go for? I know the Corsair set will probably perform better but is it worth the almost 50% premium in price?

CPU is I7 13700kf and it's a Lenovo Intel Z790 based chipset mobo.

CL32 DDR5 6400 @ 144.99 CAD

Vs

CL38 DDR5 6000 @ 99.99 CAD

lower CL's are worth it depending on the stepping. Right now there is still not enough kits out there for high end binned samsung B-Die low CAS latency.

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
I've heard that lower latency on DDR5 makes barely any difference when gaming. In terms of speed I'm looking at 6400mhz or 7200mhz as I know the motherboard I'm looking at will have room to spare.

Also I noted last week that Corsair Dominator Titanium RAM is out now. Their most premium sets, with great looking RGB!

OP
OP
iAMJeffy

iAMJeffy

29 Oct 2022

Apparently according to this guy, the primary timings don't even matter at the same speed lol. Because the subtimings are auto and for some reason was working better. His CL40 beat his CL28

• Informative
Reactions: anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Apparently according to this guy, the primary timings don't even matter at the same speed lol. Because the subtimings are auto and for some reason was working better. His CL40 beat his CL28

Interesting, so I guess CL timings don't matter too much on DDR5. Admittedly my rig is on DDR4 so I didn't realize that, CL is pretty important on DDR4.

OP
OP
iAMJeffy

iAMJeffy

29 Oct 2022
Interesting, so I guess CL timings don't matter too much on DDR5. Admittedly my rig is on DDR4 so I didn't realize that, CL is pretty important on DDR4.

That's for benchmarks but in another video, another tester shows that CL and speeds matter in terms of getting some more frames. Perhaps just have to win the silicon lottery to get good timings?

Note that user did not do real time recording like the previous