Debunked-Rumor: Amazon will announce the acquisition of EA today according to GLHF sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

ParaSeoul

24 Jun 2022
Debunked

Happy Adam Scott GIF by Sky

According to GLHF sources, Amazon will announce today that it has put in a formal offer to acquire Electronic Arts (EA), the publisher behind Apex Legends, FIFA, Madden, and more.

Rumors have been circling online for a few weeks about a potential EA buyout, with Apple, Disney, and Amazon listed as potential buyers. As per our sources, Amazon has finally made an offer.

It’s a smart business move from Amazon, which is also making big moves in television. After the success of The Witcher and Arcane on Netflix — both shows built around big video games — Amazon could potentially use EA’s franchises as settings for new shows. Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Dead Space — there’s plenty of potential in EA’s library for transmedia opportunities.

This news comes after a range of unprecedented acquisitions and consolidation in the video game space, with the biggest of them being Microsoft’s purchase of Bethesda for $7.5 billion.

According to our sources, the announcement will be made later today. We’ve reached out to Amazon and EA for comment and will update you if we hear anything back.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kokoloko

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Can’t believe this is happening to gaming. Hate all these publisher acquisitions.

Rather Amazon and Apple then MS though. If it goes through, watch how certain fans are gonna cry now that another trillion dollar company is gonna start buying stuff and its not them.

OP
OP
ParaSeoul

ParaSeoul

24 Jun 2022
Can’t believe this is happening to gaming. Hate all these publisher acquisitions.

Rather Amazon and Apple then MS though. If it goes through, watch how certain fans are gonna cry now that another trillion dollar company is gonna start buying stuff and its not them.
Amazon is one of those companies I won't support.

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Neither will I. But I’ll support them over MS
Yep, I'd rather have these third-party publishers stay independent. MS, Sony, Tencent, Amazon, Apple, etc. should stay away from them.

But Amazon over MS for me too, as Amazon can at least produce some high-quality, high-budget stuff. MS only produces low-budget fodder at this stage.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Great, more consolidation. Amazon is becoming more dangerous than facebook. The amount of companies they own that track your preferences, usage, and even your surroundings is absolutely bonkers. Glad I stopped buying from them.

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
Yep, I'd rather have these third-party publishers stay independent. MS, Sony, Tencent, Amazon, Apple, etc. should stay away from them.

But Amazon over MS for me too, as Amazon can at least produce some high-quality, high-budget stuff. MS only produces low-budget fodder at this stage.
Well, Amazon is far more likely to keep the output in all platforms than MS.
Lesser of two evils I say.

Reactions: toadsage44

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I’m fine with this. EA is a terrible game company. Can’t get any worse.

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I’m fine with this. EA is a terrible game company. Can’t get any worse.
They do produce some good games every now and then.
  • Star Wars Battlefront 2 was quite fun (after all that P2W issues were resolved)
  • They funded Hazlelight that produced A Way Out and It Takes Two
  • Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order was good
  • Apex Legends is quite popular, and many people like it.
  • Apparently, they are now producing more single-player games: Star Wars sequel, a new Star Wars IP, and a Marvel's Iron Man single-player game.

BigMclargeHuge

Veteran
16 Jul 2022

Suddenly acquiring major publishers is bad.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Kokoloko

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
They do produce some good games every now and then.
  • Star Wars Battlefront 2 was quite fun (after all that P2W issues were resolved)
  • They funded Hazlelight that produced A Way Out and It Takes Two
  • Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order was good
  • Apex Legends is quite popular, and many people like it.
  • Apparently, they are now producing more single-player games: Star Wars sequel, a new Star Wars IP, and a Marvel's Iron Man single-player game.

LucasArts was better at Star Wars.

I dunno … citing Star Wars and Marvel as something exciting from EA. I’m sorry I can’t accept that point.

They got lucky with Apex. That game is carrying them.

Madden is no longer the industry juggernaut and they lost the FIFA license.

I see nothing lost here. EA already destroyed DICE, BioWare and Criterion; amongst others I forget.

Good riddance. Let’s see if Amazon can clean it up.

BigMclargeHuge

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
LucasArts was better at Star Wars.

I dunno … citing Star Wars and Marvel as something exciting from EA. I’m sorry I can’t accept that point.

They got lucky with Apex. That game is carrying them.

Madden is no longer the industry juggernaut and they lost the FIFA license.

I see nothing lost here. EA already destroyed DICE, BioWare and Criterion; amongst others I forget.

Good riddance. Let’s see if Amazon can clean it up.
Worst comes to worse, maybe we'll finally get some decent sports games if Ea gets shit canned down the road.

alphachino

24 Aug 2022
I wonder who is going to pick up the FIFA licence. Maybe it'll be Sony San Diego. They are multi-plat now after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.