Destiny 2 has set a new Twitch Record with a peak of 523,610 Concurrent Viewers Watching Root of Nightmares Raid

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Bungie is independent from Sony. CoD and Halo would/are fully own and controlled by MS.
Bungie is not independent, they are a 100% owne SIE subsidiary. CoD acquisition still isn't completed and may end blocked by any regulator.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I’ll make it easier for everyone, no need to compare numbers.
Bungie is independent from Sony
CoD and Halo would/are fully own and controlled by MS.

If that doesn’t speak volumes about MS true intentions, I don’t know what will.
Bungie is 100% owned by Sony.
They can publish their own games if that you saying about “independent” but they pretty much depends on Sony.

It is not different from others Somy’s studios… that how they handle things… each studio has it own politics, hierarchies, CEO, etc.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Damn, I thought this DLC was meant to be a failure? Hahaha

Another media (IGN and co) narrative completely destroyed!

Bungie was an incredible buy and Destiny is Star Wars for a new generation.

Dunno why they don't have figures and statues everywhere and loads of memorabilia in shops. Bungie store is too little exposure.

Reactions: Unchained

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
Bungie is not independent, they are a 100% owne SIE subsidiary. CoD acquisition still isn't completed and may end blocked by any regulator.
They can publish their own games if that you saying about “independent” but they pretty much depends on Sony.

It is not different from others Somy’s studios… that how they handle things… each studio has it own politics, hierarchies, CEO, etc.
Maybe I’ve been reading some wrong articles but yeah they are own by Sony but they can self fund and do whatever they want, that was their condition for the acquisition.
Right?

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Maybe I’ve been reading some wrong articles but yeah they are own by Sony but they can self fund and do whatever they want, that was their condition for the acquisition.
Right?
That is how all Sony PlayStation studio works.
They still needs to report and ask approval for budget their projects to Sony board.

“Independent” the press said means they can publish their own games something the others Studios doesn’t have a Publisher team and needs to use Sony…. plus Sony said they won’t interfere in the platforms they are publishing (that means they won’t stop to publish their actual games on Xbox).

Sony brought them already thinking in their Publisher powers.

Others thing that Sony focused in the acquisition was in not have layoffs (most acquisitions ends with several layoffs due the duplicity of tasks/roles or employee dissatisfaction/choice)… Sony instead expended $1.2b just to retain all employees.

Anyway there is no difference is how Bungie and Naughty Dogs works behind Sony exception one has publishing powers and other not (but that more to do with have knowledge, skill, people, team to do that work).

Last edited:
Reactions: Zeroing

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Damn, I thought this DLC was meant to be a failure? Hahaha

Another media (IGN and co) narrative completely destroyed!

Bungie was an incredible buy and Destiny is Star Wars for a new generation.

Dunno why they don't have figures and statues everywhere and loads of memorabilia in shops. Bungie store is too little exposure.

It’s a divisive expansion for many reasons. I have concerns that shit is too broken at the moment. What was first thought as an underwhelming mod rework ended up being the most op shit ever. Difficulties are all over the place and need tuning.

The raid race didn’t last long though. Not a symbol or heavy mechanic based raid. Mostly combat. But players builds are way too crazy right now.

I’ll try playing tomorrow when contest mode is over. It looks like tons of fun.

VillaiN

10 Feb 2023
Sony payed almost 4 billion so Bungie can do whatever they want and for their expertise? No.
Sony owns Destiny ip and any future IP bungie s working on. There s interview with sony ceo. Bungie have creative freedom to publish where they want. Or sony can do it for them . Nice choice of words that Destiny wont be pulled from xbox. And they can create an IP they want.
It makes 100-500 million profits per year. Likely this goes to sony(or most of it) in exchange for funding of studio along with Sony pictures creating Destiny shows, movies...so they create new Star Wars or whatever.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Right?

There’s no conditions when you sell your ass 100%.

They are what Marvel are to Disney.

A Subsidiary of Sony operating independently.

The operating independently is Sonys decision.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Sony payed almost 4 billion so Bungie can do whatever they want and for their expertise? No.
Sony owns Destiny ip and any future IP bungie s working on. There s interview with sony ceo. Bungie have creative freedom to publish where they want. Or sony can do it for them . Nice choice of words that Destiny wont be pulled from xbox. And they can create an IP they want.
It makes 100-500 million profits per year. Likely this goes to sony(or most of it) in exchange for funding of studio along with Sony pictures creating Destiny shows, movies...so they create new Star Wars or whatever.
Just to add that how Sony PlayStation studios works.

They are a mini-company that is better described as Subsidiary… so they have it own board, CEO, director, etc etc… But they still report and needs to get approval from budget to Sony.

They have what all others PlayStation studios have… creative independence… they can work and create what they want but that is not that Somy doesn’t have power to interfere (Sony has and can interfere anytime) it just Sony things that work better for both parts.

I mean the freedom of creativity lead to better ideias after all.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022

But bungie games will remain multiplat, that’s the point.

• fire
Reactions: Zeroing

Ezekiel

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Crazy numbers.

I've played a bit of Destiny 1 and 2. It never clicked with me. Gunplay is fine, but everything else is pretty generic. I guess just not my cup of tea

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
But bungie games will remain multiplat, that’s the point.
Yeah my point even if inaccurate was how both companies operate differently.
MS meddled so much it drove Bungie to seek a “divorce”, meddled once again making Bethesda ceasing their multi platform games…

24 Jun 2022

They are not structurally independent but perform their duties mostly independent from SIE. If MS acquires ABK in full, they will be fully integrated into the Xbox division (FWIW it's worth pointing out that Xbox is a division in MS while SIE is a subsidiary of Sony) under Microsoft Gaming, and all of their decisions will have to be ran through to Phil Spencer, who will oversee ABK as one of three branches under Microsoft Gaming (XGS, Zenimax, ABK).

As far as Destiny #s compared to Halo, that's almost a question not worth asking. Halo is a dying brand and even moderately well-off shooters are doing better than it, let alone bigger games like Destiny, Apex Legends, VALORANT etc. But Halo's failure isn't a good enough reason to justify MS should be allowed to buy ABK for COD.

Just to add that how Sony PlayStation studios works.

They are a mini-company that is better described as Subsidiary… so they have it own board, CEO, director, etc etc… But they still report and needs to get approval from budget to Sony.

They have what all others PlayStation studios have… creative independence… they can work and create what they want but that is not that Somy doesn’t have power to interfere (Somy has and can interfere anytime) it just Somy things that work better for both parts.

I mean the freedom of creativity lead to better ideias after all.

That's a good way to put it but it also shows the difference between Bungie's integration in SIE vs. say Zenimax's into the Xbox division (or ABKs would be if the deal is approved).

It's a difference worth pointing out.

They paid $3.6 billion, $1.2 billion of which was for talent retention to be paid out over a period of years. So they actually paid $2.4 billion upfront.

Reactions: Zeroing and ethomaz