Destiny 2: The Final Shape comes agonizingly close to breaking concurrent player record

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Destiny 2: The Final Shape is finally here, and players have been logging in to battle the forces of The Witness. Though the community turned out in huge numbers, they didn’t quite manage to break the all-time concurrent player count record.

According to Steamdb.com, the opening night of The Final Shape releasing on to live servers drew in an impressive 314,634 players at its peak. This falls just short of the record set by Lightfall, which managed to achieve a staggering 316,750 players when it debuted back in February 2023.

There were some reports of server issues and login queues, though most were able to get on within the first few hours of the expansion’s launch. As a result, the peak numbers are likely to be a fairly accurate representation of The Final Shape’s appeal.

This will come as a relief to developer Bungie, as discourse in the run-up to release was a mixture of trepidation and genuine concern from the community. The delaying of its release further compounded these conversations, though the player count will likely serve as vindication for that decision.

The Final Shape was always expected to draw big numbers, regardless. The expansion serves as the conclusion to the decade-long Light and Darkness saga that started with the first game. As such, new and returning players have turned out to participate in a watershed moment for the game.

Guardians are tasked with heading into the Pale Heart of the Traveler and saving it from the fate set in motion by The Witness. The series’ overriding antagonist is a being of immense power who seeks to wipe out all life by extinguishing the Light from the universe.

Article

• Informative
Reactions: 2spooky5me

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
For me these Steam numbers looks so small.
I'm not even sure whey people keep using them as some good numbers.

Last edited:

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
  • brain
Reactions: The Icon

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Destiny is played across 3 different pc storefronts and 4 consoles. Closer to one million concurrent across all platforms if not more. They’ll announce it.

I.e. - it’s number 4 on windows after a day

Raid launch will be peak.
900k concurrent happens in reset days.
Yesterday they crossed way more than that if not due Server issues.
That makes 300-400k concurrent from Steam very small.

PC overall is probably around 20% of the Destiny 2 userbase.

1 million concurrent should not make Destiny 2's severs fall.
It is probably some concurrent numbers they didn't saw in previous Expansion launches... and not these small 314,634 Steam concurrents the articles keep quoting.

• brain
Reactions: The Icon

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Skillup claiming legendary campaign is easier than the previous two from that preview event is not accurate at all.

“He’s like maybe because I was playing with pve god datto…” yeah, dude … that was clearly the reason 🤣

I’m taking my strongest available builds and still getting punished plenty. Yea a lot of it is one shot bullshit but the solo run has not been easy at all.

Prismatic is fun but I need the full kit available to use it for the harder stuff.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
It's impressive to see that a game can achieve record numbers -or almost- when it's close to be 7 years old.

I think it may break the record this weekend.

These numbers are huge.

Only 32 titles, most of them F2P, had an all time CCU peak bigger than Destiny 2 in Steam history.

Right now Destiny 2 has 213K CCU, which means it's the top 4 most played game right now on Steam.

Last edited:

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Based on observations over the years and don’t feel like showing receipts. If launch window goes well on steam that should translate to above 90k for a good 10 weeks. New episodic model and positive reception and player sentiments could change the pattern.

Ideally each year acts like a relaunch but due to obvious reasons this will be different leading into a new story/game or whatever they end up doing.

Edit: just helped a buddy in co-op legendary. Yea it’s definitely much much much easier with a buddy. Almost feels like they didn’t scale accordingly.

Last edited:
Reactions: mibu no ookami

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
These numbers are huge.

Only 32 titles, most of them F2P, had an all time CCU peak bigger than Destiny 2 in Steam history.

Right now Destiny 2 has 213K CCU, which means it's the top 4 most played game right now on Steam.
So Steam is small...

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
BTW these are the population of the game yesterday from the most accurate tracker.
These numbers are with all people having issues to login so it could be even better.
It is clear the servers issues are really holding up the CCU and daily population.

image-2024-06-05-150355018.png

Steam only that matches with the peak CCU you guys are posting.

image-2024-06-05-150455432.png

PlayStation only.

image-2024-06-05-150615541.png

Xbox only.

image-2024-06-05-150725931.png

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024

You have unrealistic expectations of how many people who own a game across the world are all playing at the same time...largely broken up by region, you're not going to get all regions playing at high numbers at the same time. The numbers are highest during peak non-working hours in the west and that still doesn't mean everyone is going to play at the same time.

And different games have a different threshold to how many people are going to be playing at the same time. Longer games and multiplayer games have a larger chance for high concurrent users. Same with cheaper games i.e. f2p games.

Destiny 2 is going to be a top selling game on steam for weeks as new players roll in but old players will roll out as well.

• party
Reactions: 2spooky5me

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Destiny’s concurrent isn’t like a new release. It’s mostly existing users and hardcore players. If it grows from there that will be word of mouth etc.

It holds numbers with a strong bottom line but I would guess 2 - 2.5 million expansions sold for launch week with most being annual pass versions.

Impressions … well… way better vibe than last year’s game. Big production clearly. Recycled everything aside from new enemies? Kinda but the set direction is stellar. Should clear the legend campaign in a few hours. Been goin at it pretty hard.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
So Steam is small...
BTW these are the population of the game yesterday from the most accurate tracker.
These numbers are with all people having issues to login so it could be even better.
It is clear the servers issues are really holding up the CCU and daily population.

image-2024-06-05-150355018.png

Steam only that matches with the peak CCU you guys are posting.

image-2024-06-05-150455432.png

PlayStation only.

image-2024-06-05-150615541.png

Xbox only.

image-2024-06-05-150725931.png
No, Steam isn't small at all. It's the top grossing non-mobile gaming platform.

And well, unlike these estimations the Steam CCUs are the actual real amount of players there, not fan guesses. But obviously, only for Steam and not all the other stores/platforms.

And well, I assume that website tracks DAU instead of CCUs or CCU peaks, because if these numbers are supposed to be CCU peaks then these numbers are totally fake or wrong, because the Steam CCU peak was 314.6K, not 435.4K.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
No, Steam isn't small at all.

And well, unlike these estimations the Steam CCUs are the actual real amount of players there, not fan guesses. But obviously, only for Steam and not all the other stores/platforms.
Fan guesses? Bungie API actual data.

Steam is like 25% of the gamers playing the game.
For Destiny 2 case it is really the small platform.

Using the total daily population vs CCU from Steam....

Actual CCU peak is probably around 1.2 million.

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Fan guesses? Bungie API actual data.
The Bungie API does not provide information about the amount of active players and even less spit per platform.

And even if it would, it wouldn't made out hundreds of thousands of players compared to the real Steam CCUs.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
The Bungie API does not provide information about the amount of active players and even less spit per platform.

And even if it would, it wouldn't made out hundreds of thousands of players compared to the real Steam CCUs.
They do.

Like I said using the CCU Steam comparison the actual peak CCU for all platforms should be...

Probably around 1.2 million.
And it is the normal for Destiny launch... in the past weak launches had peak 900k CCU at launch day.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
They don't, I double checked it before my previous post. And if they would then all these 3rd party trackers would use it and have the same number, when they don't.
If you crawl this API you will get all after you can use another API to get the platform.

How do you know? I did the whole crawl of the GTS API in the past in GAF and you guys keep saying the data was wrong but it was actually the most accurate data you had because I was the only one fully crawling it... and not doing just samples.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
If you crawl this API you will get all after you can use another API to get the platform.

How do you know? I did the whole crawl of the GTS API in the past in GAF and you guys keep saying the data was wrong but it was actually the most accurate data you had because I was the only one fully crawling it... and not doing just samples.
As I said I did search in their API github before and didn't see anything that could provide amount of players connected, in general or per platform.

You could make your own app using that API where players would be able to connect. You could track the players using that app you made. But not the ones playing the game, specially those who never connected to that app.