Developer accounts on Steam get hacked, with malware inserted in the games consumers download. ~ "100" affected users.

How many W's can an all Digital Future get?

• Infinite W's

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stop messing with my convenience. Leave me be!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
"Valve adds new security check after attackers compromise Steam accounts of multiple game devs and update their games with malware"

https://www.pcgamer.com/steam-malwa...flow&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com

The Steam accounts of multiple game developers were recently compromised and used to update their games with malware. Fewer than 100 Steam users had the games installed when the malware was added, and they've been directly notified of the risk by email, according to Valve. The company confirmed details of the story, reported earlier this week by GameDiscoverCo newsletter founder Simon Carless, in an email to PC Gamer today.

Although this attempt to use Steam to distribute malware wasn't very effective, Valve has taken a major step to prevent it from happening again. Starting October 24, game developers will be required to pass a two-factor authentication check before updating the default branch of a released game—the version that Steam will automatically deliver in an automatic update to most players who have it installed

f.jpg

Another W for the all-digital future! Don't miss my physical media at all! Look at all this convenience!

Lol at adding two-step SMS text verification and calling it a day.

What do you know, when did you know, and what did you do about it.....

Less than "100" users affected (the ones we can tell for PR of course - trust and believe we're looking out for you).... That this hasn't blown up is kinda telling. Imagine if this happened to Sony somehow.

Affected users were notified by e-mail. Good luck to the folks that don't read their inbox on what may be a secondary e-mail address. Ohh and manage the risk... cause we def don't want to get sued for any potential identity, financial theft damage that may come out it, or any material damage on your gaming PC, which may be your work PC for that matter, not to mention the inconvenience of making sure your PC is truly clean. Remember we did our part by letting you know....

Last edited: