Development on Dreams has ended, Media Molecule moving onto new project

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022

As we continue to evaluate and evolve our priorities for the studio and Dreams, we've made the difficult decision to discontinue live support for Dreams after 1st September, 2023 to shift our focus to an exciting new project. You'll continue to be able to play, create and share Dreams with others after September, but we won't be releasing any more updates to the game or events such as DreamsCom, All Hallows' Dreams or the Impy Awards. We're incredibly proud of the work we've done in developing Dreams - such as our content releases, Create updates and live events - and we are endlessly grateful to the community for their belief and continuous contributions since launch.

A relief for some I’m sure lol

Great project but it just didn’t catch on with the general public. A little bit too much creation engine and too little game. They need a better balance between the two like LBP

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
Season 3 Dancing GIF by The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air

Reactions: AniWeeb

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
What a massive failure and a waste. They didn't even try to make it a successful product. It deserved a lot more sucess.

No PS5 version, no PSVR2...The one game that deserved a PC port as well.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022

A relief for some I’m sure lol

Great project but it just didn’t catch on with the general public. A little bit too much creation engine and too little game. They need a better balance between the two like LBP

This game could have blew up, but thanks Hulst-Jimbo combo, it tanked. I couldn't imagine even less effort then was made. Pathetic.

OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
I dont think this game would have ever blown up. PC wouldn’t have saved it, its a proprietary closed engine, pc is a open garden with tons of game creation tools, unreal engine, unity, source engine, etc. pc players wouldn’t have cared for this.

PS5, its already too late. The bottom line is Dreams came out in 2020 at the height of the ps4 popularity and people just didn’t really care. Sony probably just saw the low engagement from the beginning and decided to ride it out until they came up with somethign new.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Good. Dreams was the most overhyped tech demo bs ever. No one gave a shit.

Umar

Veteran
20 Jun 2022
PSN ID
Progamer265446
Shame there wont be a Ps5 version. Cant say I am too suprised by this decision, guess people just didnt give it the attention and love it deserved. Still it managed to get 3 and a half years of support which is quite a lot

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Ezekiel

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
They could have made it so developers were able to sell their games in a in-game store, making creations with the engine more worthwhile.

Also could have been included with PS+.

Also PC port made 100% sense.

I guess they didn't feel like they could deliver on that and best to move on to new project.

We'll never know its true potential.

Ezekiel

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
This game could have blew up, but thanks Hulst-Jimbo combo, it tanked. I couldn't imagine even less effort then was made. Pathetic.
Seems to be more of a Shawn Layden pet project. The business model didn't really make sense from the get go.

D

Deleted member 223

Dreams is one of those missed potential things in life. The failure label doesn't apply because it did well and kept engaged a small community for a long time. If the expectation is that it should have been a multi-billion revenue raking GAAS-like title, obviously that's your projection.

Hope they have success in what they do next.