Development on Dreams has ended, Media Molecule moving onto new project

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Seems to be more of a Shawn Layden pet project. The business model didn't really make sense from the get go.
He was out in 2019 and game released in 2020. maybe he greelighted it and watched it to be released. but release and support is up to Hulst-Jimbo.

they are in charge 4 years. or this is Phil Spencer excuses? doesn't matter how long they are in, it is fault of Mattrick?

Last edited:

VillaiN

Veteran
10 Feb 2023
I don't care it's ending

My question is wtf have they been doing for 3 years if they are only starting a new project now?
One of the mismanaged sony studios. Like ms studios. They spent fkin decade on closed engine. I could have told them it ll fail back in 2014. Also they re given too much freedom. Time to put some pressure.

Hulst put them on some real project asap. 2 hugh quality games re must this gen. Even smaller.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
One of the mismanaged sony studios. Like ms studios. They spent fkin decade on closed engine. I could have told them it ll fail back in 2014. Also they re given too much freedom. Time to put some pressure.

Hulst put them on some real project asap. 2 hugh quality games re must this gen. Even smaller.
They have only about 50 people and have a lot of prestige, so they are safe for not but my guess is Sony don't care that much since they won't be making any AAA game anytime soon. Doesn't seem like the type of stuff Jim Ryan and Hermen Hulst value.

To me it doesn't make any sense how they handled Dreams, high quality game with a lot of potential squandered by weird business decisions.

No PS5 version, no PSVR2 version, no PC version, never included on PS+ and then they quit before even attempting to adapt the game to fit a more suitable business model.

The game is such a great tool, it pisses me off that this is what it comes down to. To not even partner with a few indie studios to launch some games made on Dreams is outrageous.

Last edited:
  • brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

kyliethicc

Knack Ambassador
21 Jun 2022
They have only about 50 people and have a lot of prestige, so they are safe for not but my guess is Sony don't care that much since they won't be making any AAA game anytime soon. Doesn't seem like the type of stuff Jim Ryan and Hermen Hulst value.

To me it doesn't make any sense how they handled Dreams, high quality game with a lot of potential squandered by weird business decisions.

No PS5 version, no PSVR2 version, no PC version, never included on PS+ and then they quit before even attempting to adapt the game to fit a more suitable business model.

The game is such a great tool, it pisses me off that this is what it comes down to. To not even partner with a few indie studios to launch some games made on Dreams is outrageous.
first thing I would've done if I was Hulst would be shitcan Mm

useless studio. waste of money

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
first thing I would've done if I was Hulst would be shitcan Mm

useless studio. waste of money
I would shitcan Hulst put a stop to all his milking of Horizon and PC/GaaS focus and then turn Guerrilla Games into a support studio.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Sackboy Adventure is so good. Media Molecule needs to something more like it instead of Mario Maker for Playstation.

Sackboy is their IP, don't waste it.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Sad news, PS5/PSVR2/PC support would have been great.

My question is wtf have they been doing for 3 years if they are only starting a new project now?
They said 'shift their focus to', not 'starting'. And they have been updating Dreams with new stuff, changes and improvements plus adding VR support and many other things, plus making events and so on.
image.png

image.png

Sackboy Adventure is so good. Media Molecule needs to something more like it instead of Mario Maker for Playstation.

Sackboy is their IP, don't waste it.
I agree, the main thing I missed in Dreams is a proper traditional full campaign with some iconin main character. I'd like them to do now something like Sackboy, Tearaway or the LBP1 campaign.

At least they confirmed that the game they are working on won't use the Dreams IP. So it could be LBP, Tearaway, Sackboy or a new IP.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Jeez guys, knives are out in this thread. Anyways, shame they never got that one really good fan thing out of it, a failed roll of the dice.