Deviation Games is the only remaining Startup studio which Sony announced partnership with, that they haven’t acquired yet

Unchained

5 Dec 2022

SIE signed a contract with Deviation Games to develop a New IP, in June 2021.

They are among the three startup studios with whom Sony announced partnerships in 2021, the other two being Haven and Firewalk, both of those have now been acquired by Sony.

What do you guys think, will Sony buy deviation games as well?

They have 134 employees according to growjo ( not sure about the accuracy)

Most likely they are developing a Multiplayer FPS game:

Game will have both Solo and Co-op modes

This is really exciting, after all these years of Sony neglecting the FPS genre since killzone and resistance, the renewed focus on first person shooters by Sony is really great to see.

Last edited:
  • thinking_hard
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Angie

Forum Veteran
5 Jul 2022
Haven was partnered on March 16, 2021 and acquired on March 21, 2022 almost exactly 1 year later.
Firewalk was partnered on April 22, 2021 and acquired on April 20, 2023 almost exactly 2 years later.

Is possible that Sony renews the partnerships every year and at that point can change them to acquisitions.

Deviation was partnered on June 10, 2021 so I think they'll be acquired this June or the next.

Not my words btw. Stole this stuff from discord lol

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Haven was partnered on March 16, 2021 and acquired on March 21, 2022 almost exactly 1 year later.
Firewalk was partnered on April 22, 2021 and acquired on April 20, 2023 almost exactly 2 years later.

Is possible that Sony renews the partnerships every year and at that point can change them to acquisitions.

Deviation was partnered on June 10, 2021 so I think they'll be acquired this June or the next.

Good catch, Angie! Our detective never fails :)

Sounds very likely, I assume it will depend on their available budget, how the game progressed and their willingness to sell. Because watching the other two cases and the Deviation pedigree if there's fit I'd say Sony would be interested to buy specially now with the ABK acquisition.

SIE signed a contract with Deviation Games to develop a New IP, in June 2021.

They are among the three startup studios with which Sony announced partnerships in 2021, the other two being Haven and Firewalk, both of which have now been acquired by Sony.

What do you guys think, will Sony buy deviation games as well?

Most likely they are developing a Multiplayer FPS game:

Game will have both Solo and Co-op modes

This is really exciting, after all these years of Sony neglecting the FPS genre since killzone and resistance, the renewed focus on first person shooters by Sony is really great to see.
Yes, they are similar cases. It's worth to add that all 3 studios have a ton of great pedigree creating (AC, Watchdogs, Destiny...) or redefining (CoD BO, Rainbow 6 Siege) top performing AAA IPs.

In linkedIn Firewalk has 134 employees, Haven 133 and Deviation 131. More similarities.

Last edited:
Reactions: Angie and Unchained

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
soon GIF

Jim looking at them now.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I would like to highlight that Deviation was founded in 2020, two years after Firewalk was founded. So I'd bet that if there is an acquisition it would be announced more likely in 2024 or 2025. Haven was founded in 2021 but most of them were already a team at Google where they started to work in their projects.

So, out of the 3 games and studios, the one in earlier stage of development would be Deviation. So I assume that it's more likely that if they announce the acquisition would be June of 2024 (or maybe even 2025).

Last edited:
Reactions: Unchained

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Didn't Deviation lose some key staff?

Wonder if that put the negotiations on ice

OP
OP
Unchained

Unchained

5 Dec 2022
I would like to highlight that Deviation was founded in 2020, two years after Firewalk was founded. So I'd bet that if there is an acquisition it would be announced more likely in 2024 or 2025. Haven was founded in 2021 but most of them were already a team at Google where they started to work in their projects.

So, out of the 3 games and studios, the one in earlier stage of development would be Deviation. So I assume that it's more likely that if they announce the acquisition would be June of 2024 (or maybe even 2025)

Hmm possible, June 2023 should be date we must be looking at also. Let’s see what happens 👀

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Hmm possible, June 2023 should be date we must be looking at also. Let’s see what happens 👀
I'd say it's too early. Firewalk started their studio and game around 2 years before Deviation did, and Haven pretty likely too (inside Google). I think it's more likely to see that acquisition being announced June 2024 or even June 2025.

Didn't Deviation lose some key staff?
As far as we know they did lose 1 cofounder (former Treyarch co-studio head, one of the lead creators of Call of Duty’s Zombies), who was working as chief creative officer in Deviation.

Announced at the same time that Deviation announced that Westwood Studios (Command and Conquer, Blade Runner) co-founder Louis Castle had joined the company as senior vice president of development, and that they also hired 15-year Treyarch veteran Tony Flame, who had come on board as design director and that they also hired other people like Jonathan Hawkins and Dean Rymer (both from God of War).

After that departure Deviation continued to be led by fellow co-founder Dave Anthony (CoD BO 1 and 2 writer and director, VP or executive producer in many games), who is also the game director of their game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Unchained

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

...Borrowed, not stolen angie......borrowed......

Tim And Eric Flirting GIF

Reactions: Angie

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022

Angie, you think sony will go after a Japanese publisher or 2 when/if the cma approves the activsion deal? SE seems like a prime candidate?

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Angie is a dude playing it off as a hot e girl who’s got an army of incel patreon donors. Be scared

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
It's clear now Sony set those studios up with the intention to acquire them later once they were able to hit certain milestones.

It looks like a smart way to go about it an not get stuck with unproductive studios. I suspect they did the same deal with more studios like the Ballistic Moon Studio, Bokeh Game Studio and maybe one of those studios created by the ex-R* guys. They all popped up around the same time.

When MS sets up a studio like The Initiative, 343i, The Coalition they are already stuck with them from the start no matter how things go. They also buy a bunch of studios that are ridden with culture issues and lack of output. Sony does not seem to be willing to deal with that stuff.

Last edited:

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.

It could be that, or it could be announced this Wednesday!

• fire
Reactions: Deleted member 417

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
What are these guys building and credentials again? Losing track

All ex-treyarch, BLOPS teams

I would love to know why Blundell left, but they got some pretty big talent to replace him. I can’t imagine starting a company, one that has a high possibility of being bought out and leaving before that happens, unless they paid him a high sum to walk away with.

He was also the most front facing person at the company which is also weird. I think they have a pretty talented crew but some of that stuff concerns me.

CloudStrife

9 Jul 2022
All ex-treyarch, BLOPS teams

I would love to know why Blundell left, but they got some pretty big talent to replace him. I can’t imagine starting a company, one that has a high possibility of being bought out and leaving before that happens, unless they paid him a high sum to walk away with.

He was also the most front facing person at the company which is also weird. I think they have a pretty talented crew but some of that stuff concerns me.
Wonder if he didn't want to be acquired and decided to leave during talks. Or maybe something personal.