Devolver Debunks Ludicrous Rumour

Status
Not open for further replies.

azertydu91

4 Jul 2022
I remember the dark days when I had one. Watched too much Youtube one month and had to pay extra because of it. I ended up switching providers and although it didn't start that way, my plan evolved into unlimited data. I could never go back.
Damn where I live I don't think there's been data caps for home internet since early 2000's, there's one for mobile data(even then, once you reach your data caps your operator just switch to 3g)

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
Damn where I live I don't think there's been data caps for home internet since early 2000's, there's one for mobile data(even then, once you reach your data caps your operator just switch to 3g)

There used to be an issue where a large telecom company was well on its way to forming a monopoly where I am. The government eventually had to get involved and now there's more companies to choose from. I was with that near-monopoly company and, as you'd expect, I was paying top dollar for slow speeds and low data limits - with the option to pay more for increased limits, of course. This was over ten years ago. The big companies around here offer unlimited now but you're going to pay a lot for it. I'm with a small company and pay a lot less - just had to purchase my own modem and router instead of having them supplied to me.

There's still data caps if you don't want to pay a hefty sum for your internet, depending on the company. And it was a huge legal battle for the smaller companies to even offer unlimited since it wasn't in the best interests of the big companies. If they had their way, they'd still be charging for going over the limit to every customer and/or charging huge fees to expand usage.

• brain
Reactions: azertydu91
Status
Not open for further replies.