|DF| 60FPS on PS5: Red Dead 2, DriveClub, Arkham Knight + More! Unofficial Patches Tested on Modded PS5. Thoughts on Sony's stance?

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

There are complications then, but when you see so many PS4 games transformed via performance upgrades on PS5, you can't help but feel that there's a business opportunity here going begging. Sure, some of these games already run at 60fps and beyond on PC, but that won't help console players - and it obviously won't extend to platform exclusives. As you'll see in the video above, Shadow of the Colossus, Gravity Rush 2 and The Last Guardian stand to benefit immensely from performance unlocks. The Last Guardian even has native 4K support (via the shipping 1890p checkerboard solution). It's built into the game, it runs terribly on PS4 Pro - but there's genuine utility here with the extra performance of PlayStation 5.

The icing on the cake? Assuming backwards compatibility persists into the tenth console generation, updated games could scale not just onto the hardware of today, but also the consoles coming in the years ahead. I mean, why stop at 60fps? illusion's already creating patches that offer up 120fps support for PS4 and even older PS5 games. Back compat is great - but as FPS Boost demonstrated beautifully, improving them still further is even more special.

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
Sony is limiting the full backwards compatibility power on PS5? I didn’t know that.

Typical Sony to do something like that.

• sad
Reactions: JAHGamer

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Shameful... PS5 Sony is an embarrassment

Sony is limiting the full backwards compatibility power on PS5? I didn’t know that.

Typical Sony to do something like that.
They don't want to bother with it. They just don't seem to care about anything this gen beyond cutting costs, adapting games to other media, trying to expand into new markets like PC/GaaS/mobile.

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
Shameful... PS5 Sony is an embarrassment

They don't want to bother with it. They just don't seem to care about anything this gen beyond cutting costs, adapting games to other media, trying to expand into new markets like PC/GaaS/mobile.

I believed PS4 games played on PS5 had full access to the PS5 CPU and GPU. But according to the video Sony is purposely limiting games and choosing specific profiles, which are also depended on different games Sony chooses.

Like….why. 🫤

• fire
  • sad
Reactions: Box and JAHGamer

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
I believed PS4 games played on PS5 had full access to the PS5 CPU and GPU. But according to the video Sony is purposefully limiting games and choosing specific profiles, which are also depended on different games.

Like….why. 🫤
I assume it's to not get in the way of possible remasters and remakes. They are beyond greedy and just don't care about how they look anymore.

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
I assume it's to not get in the way of possible remasters and remakes. They are beyond greedy and just don't care about how they look anymore.

That’s a bad decision. Boosting frame rates does not take away from a full remaster.

I was surprised watching the video that there are Xbox BC games that run at 60fps compared to the PS5 which drops frames because of this profile limitation.

Sony what on earth are you doing.

Reactions: JAHGamer
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Wasn't the excuse at one point that devs had developed games to have locked framerate as opposed to unlock.

Because it can't override developer-set framerate caps or it's very difficult. Even Microsoft had to consult devs to make it work from their end and thy had a specialized team.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Wasn't the excuse at one point that devs had developed games to have locked framerate as opposed to unlock.

Because it can't override developer-set framerate caps or it's very difficult. Even Microsoft had to consult devs to make it work from their end and thy had a specialized team.
Even if there were technical limitations Sony inability to work with R* to get something like a RDR2 patch is pathetic on every level.

The gaming media suck, they should be questioning Sony at every opportunity. Why has Bloodborne been locked to 30fps for almost 10 years? At the very least all their own games should've been patched, not some, all. Great to see DF exposing Sony this time.

They have the resources to port entire games to PC but can't find the time and money to patch them for PlayStation 5? :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Even if there were technical limitations Sony inability to work with R* to get something like a RDR2 patch is pathetic on every level.

The gaming media suck, they should be questioning Sony at every opportunity. Why has Bloodborne been locked to 30fps for almost 10 years? At the very least all their own games should've been patched, not some, all. Great to see DF exposing Sony this time.

They have the resources to port entire games to PC but can't find the time and money to patch them for PlayStation 5? :ROFLMAO:
I agree they should do way more on this front. It is Sony being reserved and greed stopping them from doing so.

Last edited:

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
What are your thoughts on Sony choosing not to do resolution/FPS boosts for old games? We've seen modders with hacked consoles do it for several first and 3rd party titles....obviously I can understand Sony not touching 3rd party stuff, but it would be great to see games like Driveclub, Gravity Rush 2, The Last Guardian, SOTC, etc at higher resolution and frames.

A lot of these games are niche and highlighting "next gen" improvements can lead to more interest in them. They could have an "upgraded for PS5" category which could lead to more sales and PS Plus subscriptions. If they can buy a studio for PC ports, then they could and definitely should buy a studio for improving older games as well as porting/remastering games stuck on PS3.

Do you consider this an L? What do you think is the reasoning for this?

Reactions: Box

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Oops, i just made a thread similar to this one and just saw this 😅 I agree with most of the comments though, Sony not doing this for 1st party games is a big L

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
I don't understand why companies like PlayStation don't contract guys like these help them to find tune their craft and even give them a little skeleton crew to work on stuff like this for them.

Reactions: Box
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I don't understand why companies like PlayStation don't contract guys like these help them to find tune their craft and even give them a little skeleton crew to work on stuff like this for them.
Because thy just don't think it's worth it. They don't think tht many ppl care.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Because thy just don't think it's worth it. They don't think tht many ppl care.
Well people won't care if you don't give them what they want. Our PS4 digital libraries are one of the main reasons people will think twice before abandoning PlayStation.

We have PS+ as well. It's pretty shortsighted to not just not do it.

But I'm sure that's the reason. Ken Kutaragi would definitely have us covered lol.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Lord Mittens
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Well people won't care if you don't give them what they want. Our PS4 digital libraries are one of the main reasons people will think twice before abandoning PlayStation.

We have PS+ as well. It's pretty shortsighted to not just not do it.

But I'm sure that's the reason. Ken Kutaragi would definitely have us covered lol.
I mean I don't agree with them lol