|DF| 60FPS on PS5: Red Dead 2, DriveClub, Arkham Knight + More! Unofficial Patches Tested on Modded PS5. Thoughts on Sony's stance?

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
I don't understand why companies like PlayStation don't contract guys like these help them to find tune their craft and even give them a little skeleton crew to work on stuff like this for them.
It's cheaper to not do it and they likely don't even think about this stuff anymore (if they ever did). They roll with their own skeleton crew that took years to figure out VRR and 1440p support.

Dudes in their spare time hacking PS5's to run games at 60fps, creating PS3 emulators, creating VR mods for Sony games on PC, etc.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Wasn't the excuse at one point that devs had developed games to have locked framerate as opposed to unlock.

Because it can't override developer-set framerate caps or it's very difficult. Even Microsoft had to consult devs to make it work from their end and thy had a specialized team.
It's a per game thing, but 99% of modern games (made after the year 2000) have their frame limit set in a config file and this they set at some point in the development process.

The hacked ps5 runa pirate copy of the game with a few lines changed in the configuration.

This is not just an "unlock" you do once and all games are unlocked, but this is not a lot of work either.

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
It's a per game thing, but 99% of modern games (made after the year 2000) have their frame limit set in a config file and this they set at some point in the development process.

The hacked ps5 runa pirate copy of the game with a few lines changed in the configuration.

This is not just an "unlock" you do once and all games are unlocked, but this is not a lot of work either.
Thnks for the insight. I figured as much based on what I've read.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Because thy just don't think it's worth it. They don't think tht many ppl care.

But it would be a great way to advertise these games again, generate positive press and goodwill with their fans.

I guess it just makes too much sense for Sony

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
But it would be a great way to advertise these games again, generate positive press and goodwill with their fans.

I guess it just makes too much sense for Sony
I agree completely.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Thnks for the insight. I figured as much based on what I've read.
All they needed were optional (or mandatory) unlocked frame rate modes, like they had early in the PS4 gen. Ironically the "30 fps caps" were often put in place in patches after digital foundry raised "issues" with the uneven frame rates in games.

Killzone Shadow Fall and Infamous Second Son are games that shipped and kept their unlocked frame rate mode (they made the 30fps cap optional in second son, after a patch, maybe prompted by DF complaining about the uneven frame rate).... They now run at 60fps on the PS5, and they naturally got improved when the PS4 pro was released.

Personally I would have preferred it if games shipped with the fluctuating frame rates, 37\50 fps feels better to me than a locked 30fps. There are a couple of games that had their unlocked fps mode completely patched after they were shipped (an Assassins Creed game, that game with the bird dog from Japan studio, probably more).

All this mess is partially DF's fault and now they complain.

• they're_right_you_know

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
That’s a bad decision. Boosting frame rates does not take away from a full remaster.

I was surprised watching the video that there are Xbox BC games that run at 60fps compared to the PS5 which drops frames because of this profile limitation.

Sony what on earth are you doing.
Sony gone be like "buy a PS5 Pro to have unlocked framerate on all your PS4 games"

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
All they needed were optional (or mandatory) unlocked frame rate modes, like they had early in the PS4 gen. Ironically the "30 fps caps" were often put in place in patches after digital foundry raised "issues" with the uneven frame rates in games.

Killzone Shadow Fall and Infamous Second Son are games that shipped and kept their unlocked frame rate mode (they made the 30fps cap optional in second son, after a patch, maybe prompted by DF complaining about the uneven frame rate).... They now run at 60fps on the PS5, and they naturally got improved when the PS4 pro was released.

Personally I would have preferred it if games shipped with the fluctuating frame rates, 37\50 fps feels better to me than a locked 30fps. There are a couple of games that had their unlocked fps mode completely patched after they were shipped (an Assassins Creed game, that game with the bird dog from Japan studio, probably more).

All this mess is partially DF's fault and now they complain.
Yeah I remember the DF bitching and flopping over wanting "locked frames" etc

Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Yeah I remember the DF bitching and flopping over wanting "locked frames" etc
Those assholes really do not serve any useful purpose on this earth other than as a cautionary tale.

Funny how fluctuating frame rates is a problem for them, but not screen tearing, which every Xbox console has had major issues with…

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022

It’s a per game hack now so the half vsync api call is bypassed. But if Sony tweaked the actual underlying system parameter called by the api it would work without touching the game. The DF video even mentions this. Just whitelist the games that work ok like this and of you go.

Pretty sure this is exactly how framerates are doubled on ps3 emulators. API vsync returns 60hz and game just halves it for 30 lock. Feed back 120 instead and game becomes 60.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
This is a choice between slow response times and screen tearing.

What I'm all for is adaptative sync because you get nothing out of screen tearing when the frame rate is above the refresh rate.
VRR is nice, but when the only choice is 30 FPS clean or 60 FPS with tearing, I’ll go 30 any day.

Screen tearing triggers migraines for me, so it’s a non-starter.

• haha
Reactions: Lord Mittens

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
VRR is nice, but when the only choice is 30 FPS clean or 60 FPS with tearing, I’ll go 30 any day.

Screen tearing triggers migraines for me, so it’s a non-starter.
The best is the option, just a toggle.

Anyway, this is past now, we have it in current games... Fixing the old is in the nice to have column, it's just sad that the minimal resources needed to fix that aren't put to use.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
The best is the option, just a toggle.

Anyway, this is past now, we have it in current games... Fixing the old is in the nice to have column, it's just sad that the minimal resources needed to fix that aren't put to use.
Opportunity cost.

A team assigned to patching decade-old games is a team that can’t make new products.

Also, there is a non-trivial amount of games where this sort of tinkering leads to unforeseen consequences, so you have to re-test everything you patch.

Sony is taking the approach of not releasing anything that isn’t up to a certain standard of performance and reliability, and that sadly means things like Performance Mode on the PS4 taking months to come out after the console did.

75% of PS2 games might work on PS5 running under the emulator used for PS2 Classics, but Sony wants closer to 100% before they’d unlock the emulator.

With how the press treats Sony, it is hard to blame them for not releasing a 75% perfect emulator, as the 25% that doesn’t work perfectly would be a club to slam them with in the hands of the media.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Opportunity cost.

A team assigned to patching decade-old games is a team that can’t make new products.

Also, there is a non-trivial amount of games where this sort of tinkering leads to unforeseen consequences, so you have to re-test everything you patch.

Sony is taking the approach of not releasing anything that isn’t up to a certain standard of performance and reliability, and that sadly means things like Performance Mode on the PS4 taking months to come out after the console did.

75% of PS2 games might work on PS5 running under the emulator used for PS2 Classics, but Sony wants closer to 100% before they’d unlock the emulator.

With how the press treats Sony, it is hard to blame them for not releasing a 75% perfect emulator, as the 25% that doesn’t work perfectly would be a club to slam them with in the hands of the media.
I'm not thinking that this kind of thing should be applied system wide to all games by default... But there has to be a better way.

I think that ship jas sailed tho, that would have been a + early in the generation... Even then, MS put their resources in this kind of thing early on and I don't think it did them any good outside dedicated forums in the end.

Many games got free or paid patches early on, I just wish there was more.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I'm not thinking that this kind of thing should be applied system wide to all games by default... But there has to be a better way.

I think that ship jas sailed tho, that would have been a + early in the generation... Even then, MS put their resources in this kind of thing early on and I don't think it did them any good outside dedicated forums in the end.

Many games got free or paid patches early on, I just wish there was more.
Yeah there has to be a better way.