Diablo4 couch coop is console-only. Why is this still a thing?

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Screenshot-20230527-120310.png

Once again, Blizzard has hobbled the PC version of Diablo. The situation was even worse with Diablo3, which never received gamepad support. They never even offered a Game of the Year double dip with gamepad support.

Why does this happen? PC is more capable than consoles of providing an uncompromised split screen presentation. Between ultrawide monitors and multimonitor setups, PC could be a very excellent platform for local multiplayer. But instead of moving gaming forward, developers treat PC like it's only for bedroom/basement hermits.

PC is capable of a better console experience than consoles. It supports practically every kind of controller. It supports every display configuration. There's no reason why a $70 game on PC doesn't buy all the same features as the $70 game on console.

• noneofmybizz
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I is bad for sure.

But I believe they have statistics of how many PC players uses split screen or play with friends at home… it is probably very niche.

While consoles split screen or CoOp is very used… I use here most of time with my kid.

Plus due the all the options that PC offer implement split-screen is way more hard ($$$) than on a fixed platform like consoles.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Ain't nobody going to play co-op on PC, why would devs waste their time with that?

OP
OP
flaccidsnake

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Rod Fergusson at Blizzard gave two reasons for shortchanging PC players:
1. They can't figure out how to have two Battlenet profiles logged in on the same system
2. They didn't optimize for 2 people sitting at a desk

Both of these explanations are so out of touch. The first is just like 100% their problem. Clearly their account system can navigate PSN and XBL apis to facilitate two logins. If they can't do it through solely their system, maybe it's time to put an end to that platform. 100% Battlenet should not exist.

The second is a really backwards mindset for a developer to have. PC players are not only sitting at desks. Many people have PCs plugged into TVs. There are gaming laptops. There are gaming handhelds. PC players use controllers. There is no practical justification to exclude a major feature on PC that works on console.

Blizzard really should reconsider on this.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Does it have controller support this time at least?
Diablo 3 Is a whole different game on PC vs consoles. Balanced around K+M and much harder
Maybe this is the case with diablo 4 aswell

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
Screenshot-20230527-120310.png

Once again, Blizzard has hobbled the PC version of Diablo. The situation was even worse with Diablo3, which never received gamepad support. They never even offered a Game of the Year double dip with gamepad support.

Why does this happen? PC is more capable than consoles of providing an uncompromised split screen presentation. Between ultrawide monitors and multimonitor setups, PC could be a very excellent platform for local multiplayer. But instead of moving gaming forward, developers treat PC like it's only for bedroom/basement hermits.

PC is capable of a better console experience than consoles. It supports practically every kind of controller. It supports every display configuration. There's no reason why a $70 game on PC doesn't buy all the same features as the $70 game on console.

It makes sense for them not to release couch co-op on PC.

I used to play split screen games with my brother on PC when we were younger, it was horrible lmao.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I don't remember anyone playing couch co-op games on PC since like the 90s where you had to play games like joust or fighting games (i guess that was pvp) sitting side by side splitting a single keyboard. Boy was that awkward, one person used wasd/zxc and the other used the numpad or direction keys and insert/del/home/pgupdn

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I don't remember anyone playing couch co-op games on PC since like the 90s where you had to play games like joust or fighting games (i guess that was pvp) sitting side by side splitting a single keyboard. Boy was that awkward, one person used wasd/zxc and the other used the numpad or direction keys and insert/del/home/pgupdn
Even in 90s when PC gamers talked about local CoOp it was via a LAN cable with each one in your own PC without splitscreen.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Imagine having two people and two keyboards squished up on your tiny office-like desk like a dweeb. No one wants that, so they didn't develop it.

OP
OP
flaccidsnake

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
It makes sense for them not to release couch co-op on PC.

I used to play split screen games with my brother on PC when we were younger, it was horrible lmao.
This post makes no sense. Is something different about the pixels coming out of PC GPU vs a console?

There is currently a front page post about Street Fighter 5 smashing records on Steam. Should Capcom have omitted local multiplayer from the PC version?

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
They don't make PC couches.

Couches are exclusive to console and I hear Jim Ryan is showing off the first exclusive PlayStation Sofa next showcase.....

• haha
Reactions: Umar