Did anybody here play/own the Gamecube Version of Twilight Princess?

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
I'm just curious because I remember a friend of mine getting that one while and watching him play it while I waited to get a Wii and get that version instead! It came out 16 years ago today and unlike breath of the wild would not release say and date with the successor system. Now it's expensive as can be on the cube :( and now I'm worried the Wii U version will suffer the same fate down the line
Also how funny is this glitch in TP:

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Skipped school to pick this and a Wii on launch.

The last good Zelda game (portable entries excluded), I need to replay it soon.

Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I think its the only gamecube game I still own. And Hikaru no Go lol.
Screw the Wiimote version

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I bought it used for like 47$ a few years ago.

I played the Wii version Initially but the GameCube version is the true version.

It has left handed Link. Wii does not. Due to motion controls and most gamers being right handed … Nintendo’s solution was the mirror the game so link’s sword is wielded on his right in the wii build.

OP
OP
RE4-Station

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
I bought it used for like 47$ a few years ago.

I played the Wii version Initially but the GameCube version is the true version.

It has left handed Link. Wii does not. Due to motion controls and most gamers being right handed … Nintendo’s solution was the mirror the game so link’s sword is wielded on his right in the wii build.
I find it weird they couldnt of just mirrored link, I know they might of had to redo some animations but it seems so weird that flipping the entire game was the solution they choose

Yossarian

15 Jul 2022
Yes, with my friend I traded my copy of RE4 for his Twilight Princess (cube version) and the full Prima strategy guide or whatever. Good trade

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
The GameCube version of this game is the game.

The Wii mote is an abomination, it should have been bundled with Wii sports as a GameCube gimmick. (Nintendo should have made a GameCube 2--don't tell their bank account).

• thisistheway
Reactions: PlacidusaX

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I find it weird they couldnt of just mirrored link, I know they might of had to redo some animations but it seems so weird that flipping the entire game was the solution they choose
Any puzzles based on positioning would have been awkward without mirroring the levels, because the player would have to reach across themself to flip switches and things like that. Mirroring allowed the player to reach straight forward instead.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I did, I think I still have it.
Screw the Wii and its version. Ive owned every Nintendo console ever and the Wii is my least liked console ever, those controls….

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I think Nintendo peaked with the SNES.

For one sentence, Ill bore you with this lol.

I think they still make some amazing games but they defo left the console wars after Gamecube.

Snes might of been their peak games wise but the N64 had some huge genre changing games. And the Nintendo is stronger than ever atm, games and unit sales, Pokemon, theme parks, movie etc.

Although I dont think their next console will be anything close to Switch. Nintendo doesn’t have the loyal fans everyone thinks it does, Wii U numbers show that ( I bought one ).

Back to the N64, I loved italthough its the least favourite console of that generation ( PS1, Saturn, N64 ).

Mario 64, Zelda OOT+MM, PaperMario, Smash Bro, Mario Kart 64, Sin and Punishment, The Aki WWE/WCW games, Mario Party, Goeman 1/2, Hybrid Heaven, lots of fantastic exclusive games and Zelda OOT was a magical game, in my opinion better than LTTP easily.

Plus the Rare games: Golden Eye, Banjo, Perfect Dark, Diddy Kong Racing (underrated) Conker etc

Number 3 that generationfor me but still some truly legendary memorable games.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
For one sentence, Ill bore you with this lol.

I think they still make some amazing games but they defo left the console wars after Gamecube.

Snes might of been their peak games wise but the N64 had some huge genre changing games. And the Nintendo is stronger than ever atm, games and unit sales, Pokemon, theme parks, movie etc.

Although I dont think their next console will be anything close to Switch. Nintendo doesn’t have the loyal fans everyone thinks it does, Wii U numbers show that ( I bought one ).

Back to the N64, I loved italthough its the least favourite console of that generation ( PS1, Saturn, N64 ).

Mario 64, Zelda OOT+MM, PaperMario, Smash Bro, Mario Kart 64, Sin and Punishment, The Aki WWE/WCW games, Mario Party, Goeman 1/2, Hybrid Heaven, lots of fantastic exclusive games and Zelda OOT was a magical game, in my opinion better than LTTP easily.

Plus the Rare games: Golden Eye, Banjo, Perfect Dark, Diddy Kong Racing (underrated) Conker etc

Number 3 that generationfor me but still some truly legendary memorable games.
I am not a fan of the N64, I had one in the days with most of the "big" titles... basically it gathered dust while I played the PSX.

I have lost all interest in Nintendo's consoles after I got the Wii (I had them all until then), so I could not care less about their current strength. They do their thing, the rest of the gaming world does its thing.
The NES was their peak. First-party releases on SNES really didn’t do much more than rehash what had been done on the NES, but less challenging in most cases.
I think you may have a point, the library on the SNES has mostly third party titles as its big guns.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I am not a fan of the N64, I had one in the days with most of the "big" titles... basically it gathered dust while I played the PSX.

I have lost all interest in Nintendo's consoles after I got the Wii (I had them all until then), so I could not care less about their current strength. They do their thing, the rest of the gaming world does its thing.

I think you may have a point, the library on the SNES has mostly third party titles as its big guns.
That’s why they were so brutally sidelined by Sony. They didn’t treat their third-parties very well, so all it took was an alternative that gave better terms and supported third-party devs and the game was over before it started for that generation.

Nintendo didn’t really start getting third-parties back on board until Yamauchi was gone, but by then it was too late, as Nintendo STILL isn’t as good at facilitating outside devs’ making the most of their hardware.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

Alot of the games I mentioned were awesome for me, and a great multiplayer console. But I prefer my Saturn to it due to fighters and JRPG’s. Probably my favourite generation

The Wii is my least favourite console of all time. Ive owned most of them, all the Nintendo consoles but that is the worst of them all. The games they release are better than those days lol.

Nes had a better 1st party output in numbers but the games were better quality on the snes, I mean Snes had the tech advantage and it was early gaming but overall/either way Super metroid over Metroid, Earthbound over Mother 1. Super Mario is probably the best Mario game ever. Zelda LTTP over Zelda 1&2. Mario Kario Kart etc

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Alot of the games I mentioned were awesome for me, and a great multiplayer console. But I prefer my Saturn to it due to fighters and JRPG’s. Probably my favourite generation

The Wii is my least favourite console of all time. Ive owned most of them, all the Nintendo consoles but that is the worst of them all. The games they release are better than those days lol.

Nes had a better 1st party output in numbers but the games were better quality on the snes, I mean Snes had the tech advantage and it was early gaming but overall/either way Super metroid over Metroid, Earthbound over Mother 1. Super Mario is probably the best Mario game ever. Zelda LTTP over Zelda 1&2. Mario Kario Kart etc
A Link to the Past was such a HUGE step backwards that Nintendo should have been ashamed of it. It didn't measure up to the first game, and certainly did not have the depth or challenge of Zelda II, it just look prettier. Super Mario World was lobotomized trash compared to SMB 3, and Super Metroid was just plain boring.

Aside from pumped up graphics and sound, SNES follow-ups to NES games were usually huge downgrades, and SNES originals were usually nothing more than a new coat of paint on the same old ideas.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
A Link to the Past was such a HUGE step backwards that Nintendo should have been ashamed of it. It didn't measure up to the first game, and certainly did not have the depth or challenge of Zelda II, it just look prettier. Super Mario World was lobotomized trash compared to SMB 3, and Super Metroid was just plain boring.

Aside from pumped up graphics and sound, SNES follow-ups to NES games were usually huge downgrades, and SNES originals were usually nothing more than a new coat of paint on the same old ideas.
Nah, for me anyway lol
Mario 3 was amazing though and almost as equal as SMW. The rest, level design on both Zelda and Super Metroid was better for me. plus music, combat, graphics, story telling and puzzles etc
Earthbound was also alot better.
Punch out on the Nes, Ill give you that. Mario Kart was also awesome. I love my Nes, it was my first console but the JRPG’s, fighters, and overall games for Snes, it was an awesome package

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Nah, for me anyway lol
Mario 3 was amazing though and almost *equal to SMW. The rest, level design on both Zelda and Super Metroid was better for me. plus music, combat, graphics, story telling and puzzles etc
Earthbound was also *a lot better.
Punch out on the *NES, I'll give you that. Mario Kart was also awesome. I love my Nes, it was my first console but the JRPG’s, fighters, and overall games for Snes, it was an awesome package
SMB3 was superior to SMW in EVERY way aside from colour palette. SMB3 relied on excellent level design and actually challenging gameplay in the later worlds where SMW was slow, dull, easy and full of pointless gimmicks.

Zelda 3 was easy, slow and dull. I finished it in 6 hours without a guide of any kind, and felt bored for most of that time. The only thing it had over the first two games was storytelling and graphics, although the art style was kind of lame.

Earthbound was not appreciably different from Earthbound 0/Beginnings.

Punch-Out!! on SNES was better than the NES, but that was mostly due to actually being an adaptation of the arcade games while the NES game was a pretty poor port due to the limited capabilities of the hardware.

Mario Kart was fun in multi, but had annoying rubber-banding in single player.

SNES did have a lot of JRPGs, but with horrible localizations for the bulk of them.

The stupidly low clock speed of the SNES was a mind-bogglingly stupid decision by Nintendo, but then again, no Nintendo system would be complete without a major design fuckup. The best thing about the SNES was the sound chip, and that wasn't a Nintendo product, Sony made it. The worst thing about the SNES was the controllers. Bad ergonomics and questionable button layout made the SNES controller a torture device.

OP
OP
RE4-Station

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
maybe because I was only 7 when the Gamecube came out and the fact that the my family got an N64 when I was 3, I truly believe Nintendo peaked from 1998 - 2004. Those 6 years weree amazing with the combo of Ocarina of time and pokemon taking over the US in late 98 (I know pokemon came out in 1996 in japan) to holiday 2004 where Nintendo had Paper Mario: The Thousand year Door, Metroid Prime 2 Echoes, Nintendo DS launch with Super Mario 64 DS, and POkemon Fire Red/ Green Leaf was one amazing way to go out.
Starting in 2005 things didn't seem the same even tho Animal crossing wild world and mario kart ds sold an insane amount. Giest, Mario Party 7 (with it's weird cruise ship gimmick), and battalion wars just didn't do it for me and while I loved Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3, and Super Mario Galxay in the early wii life it just didn't last once they started focusing on Wii Party, Wii Sports Resort, Wii Music, Wii Play, mario and Sonic at the olympics, stuff like Wario Ware and so on!