Digital Foundry about XSX teraflops advantage : It's kinda all blowing up in the face of Xbox Series X vs PS5

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
They are realizing how much bullshit they created in the past :D

The most we inter in the mid-to-late of generation PS5 design start to show it power even with the inferior FLOPS.

BTW a hint about the PC GPUs... they are very innefecient... big TFLOPS numbers that can't be fully used in most of cases... most of time these TFLOPs are there in iddle just waiting something else happen.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
I think DF can be right about Series X as a "revolution in hardware design" and also it doesn't show up in games because Series S, low sales, SDK/driver failures, etc.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I think DF can be right about Series X as a "revolution in hardware design" and also it doesn't show up in games because Series S, low sales, SDK/driver failures, etc.
In terms of revolution PS5 did a lot more to the industry.

Series X is a PS4 > PS4 Pro > Xbox One X boosted design.
They basically used the standard of PC tech and nothing more... there is no revolution in there.

Well you can call the split memory bus a "revolution" I guess... but that goind backward.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Alex bugaga is probably having a meltdown that ps5 pro will out perform xsx.
Not sure if Alex really care about xbox. He's just a PC Mustered Rice. He might look like a green rat because of PC and Windows but not xbox.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Not sure if Alex really care about xbox. He's just a PC Mustered Rice. He might look like a green rat because of PC and Windows but not xbox.
He can't accept a lower TLOPS hardware winning over a bigger TFLOPS hardware.
That is why he doesn't like PS5.
It direct affects his claim for PC hardware.

Sometime he even said that it doesn't make sense to PS5 outperform Series X.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
It wasn't really a revolution in hardware design though. They put in a bunch of AMD parts. What's the revolution?

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: ethomaz

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
He can't accept a lower TLOPS hardware winning over a bigger TFLOPS hardware.
That is why he doesn't like PS5.
It direct affects his claim for PC hardware.

Sometime he even said that it doesn't make sense to PS5 outperform Series X.
Yeah, I do believe he's stupid like many Mustered Ricers, but he is not a xbot (eventhough he is in a xbox discord).

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Turns out Teraflops is not everything, took DF 3 years to figure out what ever PC player knew.

If there was an easy metric to measure GPU performance PC players would be all about it but they don't give a shit about Teraflops.

If the Series X and PS5 were GPUs people would just accept that their performance reflect the capabilities of the hardware and move on. There is not going to be any magical improvement for the Series console in the future if anything things will just get worse with more demanding games.

All the tech and nonsense MS hyped (with the help of DF) like VRS, full RDNA2, sampler feedback, did't result in anything.

DF from the beginning praised the Xbox Series for things that were poor design choices or at the very least shielded them from criticism: big die size, concern with form factor over effectiveness, concern with spec sheet numbers for marketing over real world performance, split memory pool, the Series S itself, the stupid storage solution, the featureless gamepad.

Alex bugaga is probably having a meltdown that ps5 pro will out perform xsx.
Dude is probably trying to contact Jim Ryan to stop Sony from releasing a PS5 Pro that will look expensive PC hardware look even less attractive.

Last edited:

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Yeah, turns out that wasn't a revolution but a devolution
MS went into this gen with all the wrong priorities, they were more concerned with hitting the price points for this 2 SKUs idea and being able to claim more teraflops than they were about making a good system for their players.

They completely overestimated the appeal of a cheap console. Turns out being cheap does not mean good value and consumer are able to figure that out.

Reactions: laynelane

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
MS went into this gen with all the wrong priorities, they were more concerned with hitting the price points for this 2 SKUs idea and being able to claim more teraflops than they were about making a good system for their players.

They completely overestimated the appeal of a cheap console. Turns out being cheap does not mean good value and consumer are able to figure that out.
I just don't understand the rationale behind doing split memory. To save what, $10 per console? Fuck off lol

*Edit* also, lmfao at the copium on this 🤣🤣🤣 Screenshot_20230804_174316.jpg

Last edited:
  • haha
Reactions: Nhomnhom

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I just don't understand the rationale behind doing split memory. To save what, $10 per console? Fuck off lol
It actually saved a lot more than that.
If not the split bus MS should need 20GB of RAM to fulfill that 320bits bus.

How much cost GDDR6?

In early 2022 8GB GDDR6 from Micron costed $104.
Today that same 8GB GDDR6 from Micron costs $27.

It was even more expensive in 2021 and 2019-2020 (when the 300% price increase happened).

So we can take MS was saving at least $50 per console in 2022 and more before 2022.

Reactions: historia

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
It actually saved a lot more than that.
If not the split bus MS should need 20GB of RAM to fulfill that 320bits bus.

How much cost GDDR6?

In early 2022 8GB GDDR6 from Micron costed $104.
Today that same 8GB GDDR6 from Micron costs $27.

It was even more expensive in 2021 and 2019-2020 (when the 300% price increase happened).

So we can take MS was saving at least $50 per console in 2022 and more before 2022.
These specs were decided on in 2018-2019, not 2022. Also no one forced them to use 320 bit bus, 52/56 CU can be perfectly usable with 256 bit bus. My 6800XT is 72CU on 256 bit.

• brain
Reactions: Nhomnhom

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
These specs were decided on in 2018-2019, not 2022
That is why they saved way more… in 2019 GDDR6 had a 300% price increase.
2022 was already the prices starting to drop.

Edit - It won’t be a surprise that MS planned 20GB for it console but have to go back and created that “split solution” due the huge increase in prices that happened in 2019 to 2020.

For me they designed the console with 320bits bus to use 20GB not 16GB.

Last edited: