Digital Foundry: AMD's FSR 3.1 improved over FSR 2 but DLSS and XeSS are still ahead

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Improvements are evident, but core issues remain.

This comparison to XeSS, or in particular DLSS, shows that FSR 3.1 still has room for improvement. Even areas of FSR 3.1 that improved, such as still image stability, still don't match what's possible with DLSS and XeSS. Core issues therefore remain, encapsulating moving objects, revealed backgrounds, objects lacking motion vectors, particles, and more.

Based on our testing, while FSR 3.1 has improvements over the previous version, particularly in terms of detail stability while the camera is still, core issues unfortunately remain. Ultimately, I think the technique needs to be advanced in a new direction, as proven by rival offerings XeSS and DLSS, if AMD wants to remain competitive in this space. As things stand, the hierarchy of quality persists: FSR at the bottom, XeSS in the middle and DLSS at the top.

Edit- ERA shot.

axdKhb5.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Shake
Reactions: 2spooky5me

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
It's funny that ratchet is used for benchmarks.
PlayStation 1st party games in general are used for benchmarks because they're by far the most technically impressive games on PC, outside of maybe CP2077 but only because that was designed with super high end PCs in mind. Even 8 year old Uncharted 4 blows most games out of the water.

Sad that Sony doesn't see the value in their own games anymore while everyone else does.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: 2spooky5me
OP
OP
ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
It's funny that ratchet is used for benchmarks.
I believe only Spider-man, Horizon and R&C got update to FSR 3.1 and DF choose R&C it doesn’t have dynamic ToD.

As the Marvel's Spider-Man titles and Horizon: Forbidden West both use a dynamic time of day which can make comparisons difficult, we've opted to focus the bulk of our testing on Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart

2spooky5me

Veteran
12 May 2024
@Hatefield

Which really makes me hate DigitalFoundry/Eurogamer.
They rarely want to give PS credit, and do unfair comparisons (base PS5 + performance mode vs 4090 + Intel whatever $2000 PC)... yet they use PS games to get article/video clicks.
EFF them! Alex Bugagga, and his absurd 400% zoom-in to discredit PS games.