Digital Foundry - Exclusive - The Last Of Us Part 2 - PS5 Pro PSSR Upgrades Tested

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
All in all there are a lot of advantages and no downsides with PSSR. I don't get why DF makes fun of it, PS and Cerny are advancing console hardware once again.
There are downsides... even DLSS has downsides.
Artifacts is one of them.

BTW in summary.

• 1440p60 PSSR to 4k compared to 4k30 on PS5.
  • More image details, edge details are sharper and foliage is more refined (that is due TAA making the 4k render worst).
  • Water surface have additional blur with PSSR.
  • Image stability is mixed... in movement Pro shows more blur and breakup (the famous artifacts).

Last edited:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Nah, compared to what’s available right now there are no downsides.
There are...

In movement the image in Pro is a bit more blur and have more breakups.
They talk about it and it is not show in static images.

That essentially the common issue with reconstruction techs.
DLSS do a better job but still has these issues.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
There are...

In movement the image in Pro is a bit more blur and have more breakups.
They talk about it and it is not show in static images.

What are the disadvantages against FSR or Checkerboarding? Those are the currently available technologies on the base PS5.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Upscaling typically looks great in stills but has issues in motion. I'd expect PSSR to be better than FSR though.
Exactly... they are downsides like I said... even DLSS has.

Overall is a really good bump in IQ... it is even a bit better than 4k30 on base PS5 due the TAA use there.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
What are the disadvantages against FSR or Checkerboarding?
I understood "compared to what’s available right now" as how it is played on PS5 right now that is what the video compare.

There is no way to know what it is doing better or worst than FSR or Checkerboarding because there is no suck option in TLOU2 for comparison.
Your guess can be right but we don't know.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
I understood "compared to what’s available right now" as how it is played on PS5 right now.

There is no way to know what it is doing better or worst than FSR or Checkerboarding because there is no suck option in TLOU2 for comparison.
Your guess can be right but we don't know.

You are open to the idea that PSSR, with its dedicated AI hardware for upscaling, could deliver worse image quality than FSR or CB. If so, Cerny and the hardware team are complete idiots.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
You are open to the idea that PSSR, with its dedicated AI hardware for upscaling, could deliver worse image quality than FSR or CB. If so, Cerny and the hardware team are complete idiots.
No.
I'm open for a fair comparison without weird bias.

All these techs have advantages and disadvantages and that includes DLSS, PSSR, XeSS, etc.
That is why I corrected you that there is downsides to begin including example of suck downside and you moved the goal post.

Results are way more important for comparisons than what you think about the tech.

It is like saying OLED that is far more advanced than LCD do everything better compared to LCD... that is not the case at all.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Ohhhh they left the 4k PS5 mode on Pro with unlocked framerate with VRR.
That is really great.

You can choose between 1440p 60fps + PSSR4k or 4k unlocked fps + TAA.

They left the others modes with unlocked framerate too.

Reactions: Bryank75

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
No.
I'm open for a fair comparison without weird bias.

All these techs have advantages and disadvantages and that includes DLSS, PSSR, XeSS, etc.
That is why I corrected you that there is downsides to begin including example of suck downside and you moved the goal post.

Results are way more important for comparisons than what you think about the tech.

It is like saying OLED that is far more advanced than LCD do everything better compared to LCD... that is not the case at all.

I moved no goalpost. It's right there in my original post. “Advancing Console Hardware”. In no way I was talking about PC tech like DLSS or Native reaolution. You brought that up. For the looks of it, PSSR is a better option than FSR or CB which are the only upscaling tec available on PS5. Where are the disadvantages? Against native 4k? Sure, but I’m not that obtuse.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
All in all there are a lot of advantages and no downsides with PSSR. I don't get why DF makes fun of it, PS and Cerny are advancing console hardware once again.

• They're largely fanboys. They all have history with other companies. John was a Sega fanboy who moved to Xbox. Alex is a PCMR fanboy. Oliver is probably the most balanced of the three, but we'll get to why he takes potshots in a bit
  • They drive clicks based on console war bait, it's the entire nature of their channel
  • Many of their viewers are PCMR fanboys and they are tailoring to them, which is why even Oliver will sometimes join in
  • Richard knows that hate drives views, but he also wants to farm PS5 Pro content so he wrote an entire article praising PS5 Pro, but they'll still take their shots at Sony

Evilms

Graph Master
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
e8i9ny4.jpeg
ECNCePQ.jpeg

EUVSlxw.jpeg

755866114596012053.gif

Last edited:

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024

Obviously there is a cost to AI upscaling and that it isn't perfect, but it was clear what he meant.

He meant no downsides in the sense of value over replacement.

And as for the artifacting that you mentioned, hardly any of which can be noticed in normal gameplay. No one is zooming in 5x to look at artificating they're sitting 10+ feet away from their tv.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Entropi