[Digital Foundry] Hellblade 2 Preview Reaction: The New State of the Art for Unreal Engine 5?

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Letterbox is a way to have the same quality as a high resolution render using a lower resolution render. It does help a lot to use the GPU for better graphics.

And yes The Order did it to reach it quality in graphics… if they didn’t do it they had to drop something and maybe the graphics should not be what it was… it is always a trade off after all.

UE5 when you push the new techs showed by Epic can only do 30fps on consoles… that is true for Lumen that this game is using… Lumen can only run at 30fps using hardware RT… it can run at 60fps if they choose software RT.

There is no way to avoid it and it is documented pretty well in the engine documentation.

To be fair Epic always target 30fps to use Nanite + Lumen on consoles.

Whatever PC can do 60fps or not will depend of a lot of variables including each hardware part.
Yeah I've seen that. Shinobi is also saying Gears 6 will be 60fps and looks incredible, and it also uses UE5. Maybe it's not using Nanite and Lumen, but then .... would it really look amazing if it left out UE5s best features?

We'll see soon.

Infinity Gems

28 Jan 2024
The resolution is not like that because it is not widescreen.
2304 x 964 has similar IQ as 1296p.
2560 x 1070 has similar IQ as 1440p.
The game is not running below 1080p resolution quality.

Actually the video says they are running at 1296p (2304 x 964) to 1440p (2560 x 1070 quality in combat due the letterbox... that is way higher typical 1080p quality.

The letterbox makes the image better... think like you have 2 million pixels in a 16:9 screen... the same 2 million pixels in a letterbox with give better image quality / resolution similar at a higher resolution in 16:9.
What the hell am I reading today. This is being spewed across Twitter. This resolution talk by DF is absolutely blatant PR control by Xbox.

The same resolution culling by utilizing black bars was utilized with Evil Within. Letter boxing does not make the image “look better”, nor does your math even REMOTELY check out.

1920x1080 - 2.07m pixels
2304x964 - 2.22m pixels
2304x1296 - 2.96m pixels
The image quality of their lowest resolution is less than 10% better than 1080p, and at that worse vertical scaling. Compared to the ACTUAL 2304x1296, there’s over a 30% difference in total amount of pixels being rendered. It does NOT have similar image IQ as 1296p.

What’s even more egregious is you claim that 2560x1070 is close to 1440p…

2560x1070 is 2.74m pixels
2560x1440 is 3.68m pixels

Another astounding 34%+ difference in resolution and scaling on the horizontal axis while culling the vertical is just an easy out to save performance. The image quality of 1296p would still be better than the blackbar 1070p they are selling you.

Also, these resolutions aren’t widescreen? Oook. Moving on, with the amount of artifacting and breakup in motion it’s very likely that there’s upscaling from sub 1080p resolution internally to hit these performance metrics. I’d like to see models that aren’t hero lighted and optimized to scene.

I’ve read 5 different previews and every single one follows the same talking points and breakdowns.

Also not surprised it’s DF/Eurogamer getting b-roll footage and pr’ing for MS. Can’t bite the hand that gives them early access and 1st to review promotionals.

Like seriously, “the image is 2304x1296 via pixel counts!, but actually the black bars reduce that to 2304x964… and actually the post processing on the geometry is even lower quality”. But hooo boy everyone’s running with that 1296p, imagine if DF didn’t do this break down and closer to launch they revealed ~1080p30fps level metrics. Yeah, Ms got out in front of this one, just like they did for Starfield

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
A lot of talk of graphics but how does it play? What's the story like? Is it a good game.

I don't care if it looks real of it plays like a piece of shit.

The Order looked amazing and had a great story and fun gameplay

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Sircaw

saltyashell

11 Feb 2024
A lot of talk of graphics but how does it play? What's the story like? Is it a good game.

Have you played that old mobile game Infinity Blade? That's essentially how Hellblade 1 played like. Slow and simple attack, dodge, block mechanics. It was by far the weakpoint of the game, but most people accepted it because it was a 6 hour indie game. In hindsight, it feels like they crowbarred in that simplistic combat system so it wouldn't be labeled a pure walking simulator.

HB2 looks like they're incorporating more fancy animations and QTEs within combat, but all of the game's descriptions suggests the combat system is not radically different.

Last edited:

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
Have you played that old mobile game Infinity Blade? That's essentially how Hellblade 1 played like. Slow and simple attack, dodge, block mechanics.

HB2 looks like they're incorporating more fancy animations within combat, but all of the game's descriptions suggests the combat system is not radically different.
I played the first game for about 30 minutes. 15 minutes of rowing, 10 minutes of walking then 5 mins of combat at turned it off. Annoying and boring AF.

If this one is the same it's a hard, hard pass.

Reactions: Sunrise Ninja

saltyashell

11 Feb 2024
I played the first game for about 30 minutes. 15 minutes of rowing, 10 minutes of walking then 5 mins of combat at turned it off. Annoying and boring AF.

TBH, the most notable thing people actually cared about from HB1 back then was the binaural audio, which was supposed to simulate having schizophrenia if you wore headphones.

• haha
Reactions: xollowsob

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
The footage looks absolutely amazing... not sure where people are seeing bad graphics.
Plus because it is pushing Unreal Engine 5, and like the documentation says, it can only reach 30fps.

It looks way better than TLOU2... that is not a fair comparison because TLOU2 is a PS4 game.
But of course the game is probably nothing compared with the masterpiece of TLOU2.

BTW it is the best looking UE5 game to date... there is no lie here.
I must admit I don't think it's good looking at all, but I think that has to do mainly with the style. I am just not into dark, foreboding games where half the screen is covered in gloom and darkness.

I prefer graphics like Got or Horizon, I want to go. Wow, that looks cool, not ahh! It is another depressing scene.

But hey, that's just me.

This is how I see it, too; graphics are like 2-3 steps down on my list of priorities.

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
TBH, the most notable thing people actually cared about from HB1 back then was the binaural audio, which was supposed to simulate having schizophrenia if you wore headphones.
Yeah, no. Last thing I want in a game is to play a mental illness simulator...unless that mental illness is autism and I'm building an empire to annihilate neighbouring factions

• haha
Reactions: Sircaw

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
What the hell am I reading today. This is being spewed across Twitter. This resolution talk by DF is absolutely blatant PR control by Xbox.

The same resolution culling by utilizing black bars was utilized with Evil Within. Letter boxing does not make the image “look better”, nor does your math even REMOTELY check out.

1920x1080 - 2.07m pixels
2304x964 - 2.22m pixels
2304x1296 - 2.96m pixels
The image quality of their lowest resolution is less than 10% better than 1080p, and at that worse vertical scaling. Compared to the ACTUAL 2304x1296, there’s over a 30% difference in total amount of pixels being rendered. It does NOT have similar image IQ as 1296p.

Another astounding 34%+ difference in resolution and scaling on the horizontal axis while culling the vertical is just an easy out to save performance. The image quality of 1296p would still be better than the blackbar 1070p they are selling you.

Also, these resolutions aren’t widescreen? Oook. Moving on, with the amount of artifacting and breakup in motion it’s very likely that there’s upscaling from sub 1080p resolution internally to hit these performance metrics. I’d like to see models that aren’t hero lighted and optimized to scene.

I’ve read 5 different previews and every single one follows the same talking points and breakdowns.

Also not surprised it’s DF/Eurogamer getting b-roll footage and pr’ing for MS. Can’t bite the hand that gives them early access and 1st to review promotionals.

Like seriously, “the image is 2304x1296 via pixel counts!, but actually the black bars reduce that to 2304x964… and actually the post processing on the geometry is even lower quality”. But hooo boy everyone’s running with that 1296p, imagine if DF didn’t do this break down and closer to launch they revealed ~1080p30fps level metrics. Yeah, Ms got out in front of this onethe fu, just like they did for Starfield
the funny thing is everyone should remember microsoft's antics of shilling and juicing up the marketing buzz through outlets pre-redfall and pre-starfield and we ALL saw how that turned out. Did we really forget that that's what microsoft does?

Sunrise Ninja

5 Feb 2024

This is how i felt, the game looked good but it wasn't enjoyable and this one looks even more bland.
Even the audio wasn't all that, didn't blow me away and didn't give me a reason to keep playing

KvallyX

Icon Extra
13 Nov 2023
I thought the first one, graphically, looked amazing when it debuted on the PS4. Having played it, there wasn't any depth to the gameplay at all. But I knew that going into it, as Ninja Theory's focus is on mental health. It seems they are doubling down on the mental health aspect of this game as well, with a focus on immersion, storytelling, mental health education and "some" game play.

I will play it, probably "like" it, and finish it a few hours later and go back to my regular scheduled programming. BTW, I am sure I will get shot for this, but I also enjoyed The Order 1886. It maybe have been a shorter campaign, but it did have more gameplay than Hellblade 2.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

1920x1080 - 2.07m pixels
2304x964 - 2.22m pixels
2304x1296 - 2.96m pixels

Like seriously, “the image is 2304x1296 via pixel counts!, but actually the black bars reduce that to 2304x964… and actually the post processing on the geometry is even lower quality”. But hooo boy everyone’s running with that 1296p, imagine if DF didn’t do this break down and closer to launch they revealed ~1080p30fps level metrics. Yeah, Ms got out in front of this one, just like they did for Starfield
I’m not sure what you are trying to say because…

2304 x 964 is a cut from 2304 x 1296.
If you put one over other the part cut is identical.
The number of pixels is that cut part are exactly the same.

The Image Quality is the same…, the number of pixels per area are the same as 1296p.

It is indeed way better than the Image Quality of 1080p 🤷‍♂️

Take a picture and without scaling it cut half of it… without any zoom compare that half of it with the haft of the original picture… it has the exactly same image quality without any change.

Now here the catch.
2304 x 964 is lighter to render than 2304 x 1296 and so the dev putting a letter box have more raw power to spare and use in others things.
So dev can make the 2304 x 964 looks better than 2304 x 1296 using the same raw power.
For a simple example I can use better AA in a 2304 x 964 than 2304 x 1296 making the IQ better.

You lose part of the image on top and bottom but that is exactly what Ultra Wide resolutions do… it is not something new… in a ultra wide monitor it will probably not have black bars 🤷‍♂️

I have no ideia how you guys dispute that lol

Last edited:

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I’m not sure what you are trying to say because…

2304 x 964 is a cut from 2304 x 1296.
If you put one over other the part cut is identical.
The number of pixels is that cut part are exactly the same.

The Image Quality is the same…, the number of pixels per area are the same as 1296p.

It is indeed way better than the Image Quality of 1080p 🤷‍♂️

Take a picture and without scaling it cut half of it… without any zoom compare that half of it with the haft of the original picture… it has the exactly same image quality without any change.

Now here the catch.
2304 x 964 is lighter to render than 2304 x 1296 and so the dev putting a letter box have more raw power to spare and use in others things.
So dev can make the 2304 x 964 looks better than 2304 x 1296.
For a simple example I can use better AA in a 2304 x 964 than 2304 x 1296 making the IQ better.

You lose part of the image on top and bottom but that is exactly what Ultra Wide resolutions do… it is not something new… in a ultra wide monitor it will probably not have black bars 🤷‍♂️

I have no ideia how you guys dispute that lol
which ultra wide tvs are xbox gamers gaming on?

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
which ultra wide tvs are xbox gamers gaming on?
Series doesn't support ultra wide monitors... it will show black bars on the left and right.
You can do that on PC thought.
The point is what you see in a 16:9 TV will be like you are playing in a ultra wide monitor... a lot of people plays in ultra wide monitor so his point that is having a worse experience doesn't hold up because people that uses ultra wide monitor thinks they have a better experience.

For example Helldivers 2.

helldivers-2-looks-amazing-in-ultrawide-32-9-v0-qy6rdau8clic1.jpg

BTW Hellblade 2 is bad just like the first one... it just looks really stunning... I don't know why people can't separate things.

Last edited:

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Series doesn't support ultra wide monitors... it will show black bars on the left and right.
You can do that on PC thought.
The point is what you see in a 16:9 TV will be like you are playing in a ultra wide monitor... a lot of people plays in ultra wide monitor so his point that is having a worse experience doesn't hold up because people that uses ultra wide monitor thinks they have a better experience.

For example Helldivers 2.

helldivers-2-looks-amazing-in-ultrawide-32-9-v0-qy6rdau8clic1.jpg

BTW Hellblade 2 is bad just like the first one... it just looks really stunning... I don't know why people can't separate things.
well this is the point lol, you are talking about resolution in the game on the xbox, not pc

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: saltyashell

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
well this is the point lol, you are talking about resolution in the game on the xbox, not pc
I'm talking about the IQ of that resolution because you said 2304 x 964 as a bad thing.
And it is not, the IQ is the same as 2304 x 1296... that is way better than 1080p quality.

Letterbox was used to have more GPU power to make the IQ even better.
At end you have a 1296p quality with better effects due the more GPU raw power to spare.

The same happened with The Other and I don't remember I ever saying it was a bad thing.
It was a choice to increase graphic quality.

Comparing it to a 964p resolution is misleading imo.
Because the IQ at 964p will be way worst than 2304 x 964.... 2304 x 964 in this game is 2304 x 1296 with letter box.... so the resolution IQ is the same.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Example for people understand.
You can open in two browser tabs and switch tem with Tab and see there is no difference in quality.

This is the original 1296p image:

yqiv9wj5-wallha-com.png

Compare now with the same image with letterbox (not sure if I matched the 964 because that was not the point and I did it asap).

yqiv9wj5-wallha-com-letterbox.png

If anybody is interested I can down scale the image to 964p and you will see how blurry it become in a 4k monitor.

Last edited: