Digital Foundry is a problem, here's why

Batzy

Veteran
10 Jan 2024
Remember that DF are the people Microsoft suggested would enforce parity for COD when Microsoft was battling the CMA to acquire ABK.
And this shows how clueless MS and DF are. No one cares what DF says. People are playing fortnite and cod on phones at 460p and 15fps. And neither does the cod community care about visual difrences that need to be zoomed 400% to notice. They care about time to kill, guns, maps and netcode, thing DF has no clue if it's better of worse then the last game.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
IDK who runs Sony's content partnership program, but they should be fired. They regularly send MS shills free products and review codes. And they definitely should stop sending these DF pricks review codes. They send Alex Bagaga PC port codes weeks early just to talk trash about how much better it is than the PS5 version. Genius marketing from Sony 😁

Reactions: Umar

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
It was a lazy comparison. BUT, the upgrades are tiny so am disappointed in ND.

A whole new Gen should have afforded more technical upgrades. Was expecting original teaser kill sequence quality to be reinstated here.

Still, day 1 because it plays, looks, and is an amazing experience.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Nick is so much better. Nick video sold me on the remaster. Df video didn’t

Reactions: pop

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
It was a lazy comparison. BUT, the upgrades are tiny so am disappointed in ND.

A whole new Gen should have afforded more technical upgrades. Was expecting original teaser kill sequence quality to be reinstated here.

Still, day 1 because it plays, looks, and is an amazing experience.
They should have called it "director's cut", the technical upgrades would have been perceived as a bonus and nobody would have batted an eye over their minimal impact.

🤷‍♂️

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Shmunter

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
DF during PS4/XOne generation had massive amounts of spin to pretend they were equal in performance, and to downplay PS4, even though PS4 was leagues ahead of Xbox at the time. Even if at their best they're honest, is that someone you want to trust? The baseline should be honesty, and with DF that isn't the case.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
They're indeed a problem for corrupting the gaming discourse over the last decade. Gaming technical analysis is great but they've weaponized it into a form of fanboys takeodwn strategy over the years, sometimes even ti the detrimentbog developers who have to sit and qatch their hard work get dragged through the mud over a few frame rate dips.

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
2015 article from Digital Foundry: Does Resolution Really Matter? Give it a read and see how they pandered towards Xbox. My favourite as at the end where he says "By removing resolution as most crucial factor in overall image quality, both PlayStation 4 and Xbox One games stand to benefit." Remember: the PS4 had a resolution advantage, very clearly in some games, yet the conclusion of the article is...give up the resolution advantage and both consoles benefit? What? Stranger too considering polling mentioned in the article says consumers prefer the console with the best visuals. Very clearly trying to leverage authority as an "expert" against peasant consumers that the Xbox is a worthy consideration. How anyone continues to trust these people almost a decade later is beyond me.

Contemporary comment from Neogaf discussing the article: "Utter horse shit, it [resolution] was always brought up in Df articles it's always been important. It was alway brought up by Df if PS3 had a lower res than the 360 counter part."
Another one: "Is it me or does the author kind of imply that the Xbox One is somehow synonymous with better performing versions of games?"
Another: "Huh. Minute differences in resolution seemed super important to DF last gen."

So even back then it was obvious that the coverage was biased. Nothing has changed. PS3, PS4, PS5, it's all shilling for Xbox.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
DF during PS4/XOne generation had massive amounts of spin to pretend they were equal in performance, and to downplay PS4, even though PS4 was leagues ahead of Xbox at the time. Even if at their best they're honest, is that someone you want to trust? The baseline should be honesty, and with DF that isn't the case.
Battlefield 4
PS4: 900p better frame rate and lighting effects
Xbone: 720p more drops and lesser effects...
Verdict: nobody could tell the difference 🤷‍♂️

Titanfall: they chose 768p because this is in fact the best resolution ever, spend entire videos making excuses.

In general they claimed that 900p was pretty much the same as 1080p with a good upscaling technique (I personally can still tell the difference between 1440p and native 4k... Mind you I sit way too close to my 65inch TV).

Ryse son of Rome ran at sub 30fps quite often in the mid 20s... That was fine, in fact they complained more about the PS4 games that had unlocked frame rates and were always above 30 for some reason we couldn't ear the end of it.

• haha
Reactions: pop and Nhomnhom

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
2015 article from Digital Foundry: Does Resolution Really Matter? Give it a read and see how they pandered towards Xbox. My favourite as at the end where he says "By removing resolution as most crucial factor in overall image quality, both PlayStation 4 and Xbox One games stand to benefit." Remember: the PS4 had a resolution advantage, very clearly in some games, yet the conclusion of the article is...give up the resolution advantage and both consoles benefit? What? Stranger too considering polling mentioned in the article says consumers prefer the console with the best visuals. Very clearly trying to leverage authority as an "expert" against peasant consumers that the Xbox is a worthy consideration. How anyone continues to trust these people almost a decade later is beyond me.

Contemporary comment from Neogaf discussing the article: "Utter horse shit, it [resolution] was always brought up in Df articles it's always been important. It was alway brought up by Df if PS3 had a lower res than the 360 counter part."
Another one: "Is it me or does the author kind of imply that the Xbox One is somehow synonymous with better performing versions of games?"
Another: "Huh. Minute differences in resolution seemed super important to DF last gen."

So even back then it was obvious that the coverage was biased. Nothing has changed. PS3, PS4, PS5, it's all shilling for Xbox.
Incredible, infuriating, but somehow expected when you look at their perverted faces.

Reactions: pop

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Incredible, infuriating, but somehow expected when you look at their perverted faces.
This is not like the difference between 1080p and 900p (often with lower frame rates) is subtle. No meed for a comparison point either, on PS4 I could tell which games ran at 900p just by looking at them.

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
Battlefield 4
PS4: 900p better frame rate and lighting effects
Xbone: 720p more drops and lesser effects...
Verdict: nobody could tell the difference 🤷‍♂️

Titanfall: they chose 768p because this is in fact the best resolution ever, spend entire videos making excuses.

In general they claimed that 900p was pretty much the same as 1080p with a good upscaling technique (I personally can still tell the difference between 1440p and native 4k... Mind you I sit way too close to my 65inch TV).

Ryse son of Rome ran at sub 30fps quite often in the mid 20s... That was fine, in fact they complained more about the PS4 games that had unlocked frame rates and were always above 30 for some reason we couldn't ear the end of it.
I think the reason most don't catch on to this is because they only ever experience DF on a granular level. "Oh X game performs better on Y platform. Cool." then they move on with their lives. But if, like reviewing this article, look back in retrospect or see the cover of games in a holistic manner it's quite clear they're pushing a narrative because their arguments are not consistent based on standards - they're consistent based on favouring Xbox.