Digital Foundry - PC vs PlayStation 5 Input Lag (Nvidia Reflex)

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022

I am always hearing how consoles are slower and more laggy than PC. It is clearly a myth nowadays... to some degree!
In the reality, I can force triple buffering, enable vrr, force -3fps vrr cap or disable vsync.
There are many ways to tweak this and achieve good results.
But at the core, consoles have better lower level access.

Without nvidia Reflex, barebones the results are favored towards ps5 in this test.
With ALLM, console also does good.
PC wins with Nvidia Reflex enabled. It just have to be supported on game per game basis and it costs some performance.
xn7W425.png

Nothing really new in the video but interesting watch. The picture alone is a bit out of context by itself.
They have vrr and 120hz tests too

mansoor1980

4 Jul 2022
no wonder the PC versions of these games rely on reflex , with v-sync enabled they have more lag compared to the ps5 version of the same game

Last edited:
  • brain
Reactions: rofif

Fahdi

8 Jul 2022
Lahore, Pakistan
So I'm supposed to worry about insignificant amounts of ms in real time that I cannot possibly comprehend while playing a game and see consoles as superior without reflex even though reflex on per game basis literally destroys consoles in every way with the same insignificant amount of lag I'll never comprehend? Honestly, unless I was a complete nutjob or an e-sports persona making a millions every year would I care about this shit.

OP
OP
rofif

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
So I'm supposed to worry about insignificant amounts of ms in real time that I cannot possibly comprehend while playing a game and see consoles as superior without reflex even though reflex on per game basis literally destroys consoles in every way with the same insignificant amount of lag I'll never comprehend? Honestly, unless I was a complete nutjob or an e-sports persona making a millions every year would I care about this shit.
It doesn't matter too much. It's just informative

OP
OP
rofif

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Controller helps a lot.

In a old test DS4 via Bluetooth basically beat most PC controllers in the market.
true. Also I think I remember that bt was slower than xbox rf receiver when using xbox one controller

• thinking_hard
Reactions: ethomaz
D

Deleted member 13

I am always hearing how consoles are slower and more laggy than PC. It is clearly a myth nowadays... to some degree!
In the reality, I can force triple buffering, enable vrr, force -3fps vrr cap or disable vsync.
There are many ways to tweak this and achieve good results.
But at the core, consoles have better lower level access.

Without nvidia Reflex, barebones the results are favored towards ps5 in this test.
With ALLM, console also does good.
PC wins with Nvidia Reflex enabled. It just have to be supported on game per game basis and it costs some performance.
xn7W425.png

Nothing really new in the video but interesting watch. The picture alone is a bit out of context by itself.
They have vrr and 120hz tests too
Excellent thread dude! And very interesting results. I would have assumed that the PC been had the advantage due to it's faster CPUs but I totally forgot about the entire game loop pipeline. Duh..

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 13

The big question now is does AMD have any drivers to support something similar to the Nvidia GPUs?

• thinking_hard
OP
OP
rofif

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
The big question now is does AMD have any drivers to support something similar to the Nvidia GPUs?
I think they have something on pc but nothing on consoles.
The fact that consoles get lower input lag "raw" is probably because of lower level hardware access.
But we know this can also be really weird. The sony built-in vsync that games can fall on is tragically slow as it was proven in bloodborne digital foundry frame pacing video. the badly frame paced 30fps bloodborne is 75ms faster than very neatly stable 30 in demons souls remake huh

D

Deleted member 13

I think they have something on pc but nothing on consoles.
The fact that consoles get lower input lag "raw" is probably because of lower level hardware access.
But we know this can also be really weird. The sony built-in vsync that games can fall on is tragically slow as it was proven in bloodborne digital foundry frame pacing video. the badly frame paced 30fps bloodborne is 75ms faster than very neatly stable 30 in demons souls remake huh
I checked. AMD has BOOST but I don't like it's approach. It lowers the resolution to increase FPS while the camera is moving and then returns it back to it's original resolution after the camera has stopped. That just smells like a half-ass approach (as usual from AMD) and my concern would be ghosting of objects since they would be rendered at a lower resolution.

OP
OP
rofif

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
I checked. AMD has BOOST but I don't like it's approach. It lowers the resolution to increase FPS while the camera is moving and then returns it back to it's original resolution after the camera has stopped. That just smells like a half-ass approach (as usual from AMD) and my concern would be ghosting of objects since they would be rendered at a lower resolution.
This sounds awful