[Digital Foundry] The Witcher 3 Next-Gen - PS5 vs Xbox Series X - DF Tech Review - RT and Performance Modes Tested!

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
There's generally a slight performance drop with vsync but what makes it feel truly awful is if the game has bad frame pacing, then it increases input lag and makes the game feel sluggish. That's different than vrr though

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
There's generally a slight performance drop with vsync but what makes it feel truly awful is if the game has bad frame pacing, then it increases input lag and makes the game feel sluggish. That's different than vrr though
I can live with the odd frame-pacing hiccup, but screen tearing triggers my migraines, and that is something I just can't deal with.

OP
OP
ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
This frame pacing only happens when the framerate drops below the target, no? I mean when for example a 60fps game drops to 59fps.
If it is over 60fps all the time Vsync won't have any apparent issue.

The input lag is more about VSync making the GPU stay always on target than performance drop at all.
I mean VSync 60fps makes the GPU always delivery 60fps so it will have a input lag bigger than for example if you left the game with framerate unlocked between 60 to 80fps or more.

In that case you will have each second a different input lag... having variable framerate you have variable input lag.

OP
OP
ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
BTW this patch made me wonder...

What which point a developer can get away with the excuse "But it is a free patch"?

For me free or paid should be treated equality but I already saw in this and others threads about this game that being "free" get a free pass in their view.

P

peter42O

60FPS and 10 second loading times sound good to me. May have to replay this if I get an empty month next summer.

Reactions: arvfab

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
60FPS and 10 second loading times sound good to me. May have to replay this if I get an empty month next summer.

By that time I/we manage to squeeze a replay of this, let's hope they fixed all the issues.

Although I really doubt 2023 would give me the time to replay such a huge game.

Reactions: peter42O

thelastword

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
So the PS5 has higher shadow and foliage draw distance over the XBOX in all modes, you know how taxing this is on the CPU and GPU. Yet still the PS5 performs better in framerate mode and better on towns over the Series X with no tearing......The Series X is performing better outdoors why? because shadows and foliage outdoors is much less on Series X over PS5. Tom from DF is so biased, he finds the one spot in towns where Series X has a higher resolution, but never states that it's because Series X is drawing much less shadow DD in towns and we all know shadows are expensive.

DF has to stop showing the obvious bias. Everytime PS excels in something they try to minimize it, the detail, the loadtimes, I personally feel the lighting as well, but DF will do what DF does.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
The most common way to force V-Sync is buffering, and buffering can lead to dropped frames. Going with V-Sync off tears a frame instead of dropping it, leading to a minor gain in overall frame rate, at the cost of torn screens due to hitches in frame processing not having the use of the buffer to fix the screen frame before sending it to output.

OP
OP
ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
You know a curiosity?

The Witcher 3 runs at near 4k and flawless 60fps on Series X if you choose to play the Xbox One X version.

That tells a lot how bad this patch is.

thelastword

Veteran
4 Jul 2022

Xbox Series S in quality mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 2560x1440 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 1536x864. Pixel counts at 1536x864 appear to be rare. Xbox Series S in quality mode seems to be using FSR 2.1 to reconstruct a 2560x1440 resolution when rendering below this resolution.

PS5 in raytracing mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being approximately 2880x1620 and the lowest resolution found being 1920x1080. PS5 appears to often render at or near 1920x1080 in raytracing mode. PS5 in raytracing mode seems to be using FSR 2.1 to reconstruct a 3200x1800 resolution.

Xbox Series X in raytracing mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 3200x1800 and the lowest resolution found being 1920x1080. Xbox Series X in raytracing mode appears to render at 1920x1080 less often than PS5 does and the native rendering resolution seems to rarely reach 3200x1800. Xbox Series X in raytracing mode seems to be using FSR 2.1 to reconstruct a 3200x1800 resolution when rendering below this resolution. Xbox Series S in performance mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 1920x1080 and the lowest resolution found being 1600x900.

Xbox Series S in performance mode seems to be using a form of temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 2560x1440 resolution. The temporal upsampling used in performance mode isn't as effective as FSR 2.1 used in quality mode.

PS5 in performance mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 3200x1800 and the lowest resolution found being 2048x1152. PS5 in performance mode seems to be using FSR 2.1 to reconstruct a 3200x1800 resolution when rendering below this resolution.

Xbox Series X in performance mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 3200x1800 and the lowest resolution found being 2048x1152. Xbox Series X in performance mode appears to render at 3200x1800 more often than PS5 does. Xbox Series X in performance mode seems to be using FSR 2.1 to reconstruct a 3200x1800 resolution when rendering below this resolution.

Ray Tracing Mode adds a form of ray traced global illumination and ray traced ambient occlusion. Ray tracing mode also has an improved form of screen space reflections. Xbox Series S in performance mode has a reduced foliage visibility range compared to quality mode and the other two consoles. Some trees in the very far distance aren't visible on PS5 even though they are visible on the Xbox Series consoles in both modes https://bit.ly/3GilF1N After completing this comparison and playing the Xbox One X version, the trees in the far distance also disappeared from the Xbox Series version of the game https://bit.ly/3GhUnZh

The current gen versions of The Witcher 3 have some graphical improvements compared to the last gen consoles. Comparing PS5 in performance mode to PS4 Pro, PS5 has improvements to: foliage, shadows, anti-aliasing, LOD, NPC density and texture quality https://bit.ly/3YSjDNk There is a bug on Xbox Series X where the foliage visibility range gets set to the setting used on Series S in performance mode https://bit.ly/3C0FYya To fix this, start the game on Xbox Series S and switch the graphics mode to quality mode. Performance seems to degrade during an extended play session and performance can vary somewhat run-to-run. The scenes tested here aren't exactly the same as previous tests of The Witcher 3.

Stats

Quality/Raytracing

1672055574072.jpeg

Performance

1672055599063.jpeg