Discord is laying off 17% of employees | In an internal memo, CEO Jason Citron said the company grew headcount too quickly over the past few years

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

The Verge
Discord is laying off 17 percent of its staff, a move that CEO Jason Citron said is meant to “sharpen our focus and improve the way we work together to bring more agility to our organization.”
The cuts were announced today to employees in an all-hands meeting and internal memo I’ve obtained. They’ll impact 170 people across various departments.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
We are heading into Great Depression 2.0
I think things are just stabilizing. Gaming was doing so good with so many overblown budgets tht it had to stabilize sooner or later. Add to tht slowdown due to Covid and inflation in many parts of the world and this has to happen.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I think things are just stabilizing. Gaming was doing so good with so many overblown budgets tht it had to stabilize sooner or later. Add to tht slowdown due to Covid and inflation in many parts of the world and this has to happen.

Piece of shit Biden’s war machine pushing to world war 3. Who knows when anything will stabilize. Not spending shit! 😂

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gamernyc78

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
All over the industry. And twitch the 500 staff thread, yes.

Twitch cuts are insane in terms of percentage of the company. Amazon really said : Stop losing us so much money.
To be fair, it's extremely difficult to make live streaming a profitable venture.
Nobody in the streaming game has ever been profitable and the landscape isn't new anymore, you can't go the Netflix excuse of "just wait another 10 years, the market will mature and we'll turn a profit, we swear!"
If you're part of a huge corporation, you can sort of coast on being a loss leader as long as things are otherwise rosy at the company, but as soon as they're looking to up their margins, you're going to get a knock at a the door, and it won't be pleasant.

• they're_right_you_know
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Definitely, no one is safe. I'm glad In my organization/company I'm in management because the first to go are usually lower level but it's not gd to see anyone go..
Twitch cuts are insane in terms of percentage of the company. Amazon really said : Stop losing us so much money.
To be fair, it's extremely difficult to make live streaming a profitable venture.
Nobody in the streaming game has ever been profitable and the landscape isn't new anymore, you can't go the Netflix excuse of "just wait another 10 years, the market will mature and we'll turn a profit, we swear!"
If you're part of a huge corporation, you can sort of coast on being a loss leader as long as things are otherwise rosy at the company, but as soon as they're looking to up their margins, you're going to get a knock at a the door, and it won't be pleasant.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Definitely, no one is safe. I'm glad In my organization/company I'm in management because the first to go are usually lower level but it's not gd to see anyone go..

Twitch issues are the same as Esports in general and why they're also downsizing/cost cutting.

Gamers don't want to pay for any service, they expect things to be free, so you can't PPV or have an entry free of any kind. Thing has to be free to watch.
They also don't want ads, so you're losing revenue via adblock and whatever.
That leaves with you sponsorship partners, the RoI are garbage for pretty much any big corporation.
Gamers watching streams are not going to and sign up with Mastercard because they saw the logo somewhere. So you're left with only gamer centric companies, who can't even offer the same amount of money for the exposure.

All of that means, all broadcast shit in gaming is in the red.
I mean besides the moderately big streamers themselves of course. They're the making all the dolla dolla in the equation.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Twitch issues are the same as Esports in general and why they're also downsizing/cost cutting.

Gamers don't want to pay for any service, they expect things to be free, so you can't PPV or have an entry free of any kind. Thing has to be free to watch.
They also don't want ads, so you're losing revenue via adblock and whatever.
That leaves with you sponsorship partners, the RoI are garbage for pretty much any big corporation.
Gamers watching streams are not going to and sign up with Mastercard because they saw the logo somewhere. So you're left with only gamer centric companies, who can't even offer the same amount of money for the exposure.

All of that means, all broadcast shit in gaming is in the red.
I mean besides the moderately big streamers themselves of course. They're the making all the dolla dolla in the equation.
It's crazy I get annoyed with the billions of ads on some pages and free services but the reality is they have to make money so how and tht is how they stay afloat, nothing is free.

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
I try and tell people to pick careers where you need to be licensed or certified, you have a better chance of being recession proof. I'm a licensed insurance claims Adjuster and just got promoted to handle a higher level of claims last week.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I try and tell people to pick careers where you need to be licensed or certified, you have a better chance of being recession proof. I'm a licensed insurance claims Adjuster and just got promoted to handle a higher level of claims last week.
Interesting I work in housing and we have a class I created on HDFC cooperative insurance (I'm a Director for a training depot) and claims. I created a section on Adjusters and public Adjusters.

Congrats on your promotion.

Reactions: AllBizness

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
The layoffs will continue until profits increase.

Tech industry crash scheduled for this year?
Only those who have outstanding loans will lay off due to high interest rates. All the layoffs over the past year have been for that reason regardless of what excuses the corporations gave.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
The layoffs will continue until profits increase.

Tech industry crash scheduled for this year?

You will never see the CEO fired though, even though they don't do anything besides attend meeting but get get paid millions of dollars.

Time for companies to trim the fat and replace executives with AI

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
You will never see the CEO fired though, even though they don't do anything besides attend meeting but get get paid millions of dollars.

Time for companies to trim the fat and replace executives with AI

Will never happen. Companies rather gaslight people into thinking other people are useless to justify layoffs. You can see it from this forum, that has a load of corporate cheerleaders that think workers are useless and that stuff like AI will not be used to replace them, but rather complement their jobs.

It's like they live in this fantasy world where companies have your best interests in mind.

• they're_right_you_know
  • noneofmybizz
Reactions: Gediminas and Box