Disney & Sony have signed a major deal for Sony to take over all of Disney’s physical media production going forward.The Disney Movie Club is closing

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Disney and Sony have just inked a major deal for Sony Pictures Home Entertainment to take over all of Disney’s physical media production going forward.

This means that Sony will handle and oversee the actual authoring and compression of discs, that they’ll work with the replicators and packaging vendors, and that they’ll oversee the titles as they go out to the distributors and on to retailers.

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
  • The Disney Movie Club is closing down as Sony takes over physical media production, signaling a shift in Disney's strategy.
  • Financial struggles and internal issues led Disney to slim down the Movie Club, making Sony a cheaper option for physical media.
  • The decline in importance of physical media is evident as major companies like Disney and Netflix change their strategy for DVD services.

Reactions: laynelane

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I wonder if more Marvel games or kingdom hearts agreements are in there too?
Almost certainly unrelated. This is Disney getting out of the DVD business (and CDs?,) plain and simple.

Kx11

Banned
7 Jan 2024
Katar
flickr.com
Sony Japan got the best factories pressing discs of all kinds including Vinyl records since the 70s, good move from Disney to never bother with the pain of printing BD and DVDs

reziel

Veteran
12 Jun 2023
I'm pretty sure Square Enix holds the rights to Kingdom Hearts they just couldn't use Disney characters anymore since their contract ended. So unless Sony talks to both parties on that one they can't make a Kingdom Hearts game.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
No, it's just physical media for movies only.

Disney doesn't publish games, they sign deals with publishers to allow them use their IPs.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
I'm pretty sure Square Enix holds the rights to Kingdom Hearts they just couldn't use Disney characters anymore since their contract ended. So unless Sony talks to both parties on that one they can't make a Kingdom Hearts game.

Kingdom hearts is a joint venture between Disney and Square, you have square characters in the game like Sora,Sephiroth and Cloud but also Disney ones like donald and Goofy.

Its supposed to be a crossover game but it's been slowly evolving into it's own thing over time