Do Nintendo get too much credit for innovation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Noticed Nintendo always receive credit for being the pioneers in gaming innovation yet is that really the case? Past yes but lately?

The Nintendo Switch is a glorified Nvidia Shield. Even using the same Nvidia tech.

We see BOTW getting credit for revolutionising RPGs of late. When in reality it simply added what we have seen in WRPGs over the past 2 decades to a stale series.

Mario Maker is another. Little Big Planet rip off.

Just seen the new Kirby dream buffet. It has Fall Guys written all over it.

Feels more like ripping off others and using their brand name to make it a success.

They will get all the credit cause Nintendo is Nintendo.

Kretos

The Legend - Scourge of the Green Rats
21 Jun 2022
BOTW is an overrated game good at best, breakable weapons? get da fuck outta here with that crap, but Nintendo always gets special treatment from the media

i'll give them credit for the Wii, even though the controllers looked like a dildo

OP
OP
Muddasar

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
BOTW is an overrated game good at best, breakable weapons? get da fuck outta here with that crap, but Nintendo always gets special treatment from the media

i'll give them credit for the Wii, even though the controllers looked like a dildo

Yes that alone was game breaking.

Breakable weapons which not only broke quickly but you couldn’t repair them either.

Since it’s Nintendo all is forgiven. Imagine the reaction if Microsoft or Sony did the same.

Reactions: Kretos

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
nintendo gets a lot of slack yes, but it's because they're the only pure gaming company left after sega folded. No one else but these 2 can claim to be a pure gaming company, and enthusiasts take note. Sega is dead in hardware so Nintendo is alll we really have left.

that's really all there is to it. Nintendo will keep getting preferential treatment, forever.

OP
OP
Muddasar

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
nintendo gets a lot of slack yes, but it's because they're the only pure gaming company left after sega folded. No one else but these 2 can claim to be a pure gaming company, and enthusiasts take note. Sega is dead in hardware so Nintendo is alll we really have left.

that's really all there is to it. Nintendo will keep getting preferential treatment, forever, and we should all hope so. they're all we really have in this medium at the end of the day.

Pure gaming company as in solely focused on gaming?

In that case, they should be doing a lot better.

Of late, All I see is regurgitated games from the Wii U and rip offs of other games.

The hardware is a rip off too.

Nintendo even released cardboard and people bought it. Did anyone complain?
Madness.

Craig of War

Banned
12 Jul 2022
They are 1st with a lot things cause out of the big 3 that are still left since Sega Atari etc hardware have died off

Reactions: Bryank75

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
The Switch is a Sega Nomad
...what?

a lot of people are very upset at the Switch's success. Precisely because it isn't the same success as the casual wii. It's the hardcore gamer's platform of choice.

I get that it's upsetting, it's shot to the #1 platform in the industry surpassing even sony.

Switch is the market leader. Switch is the #1 platform in the industry. repeat those words.

i'd like everyone who denies this fact to deal with it and swallow crow. swallow something else if it upsets you that much. Nintendo has beat you and we are all laughing, right now.

DynamiteCop

Banned
2 Jul 2022
The Switch is a Sega
...what?

a lot of people are very upset at the Switch's success. Precisely because it isn't the same success as the casual wii. It's the hardcore gamer's platform of choice.

I get that it's upsetting, it's shot to the #1 platform in the industry surpassing even sony.

Switch is the market leader. Switch is the #1 platform in the industry. repeat those words.

i'd like everyone who denies this fact to deal with it and swallow crow. swallow something else if it upsets you that much. Nintendo has beat you and we are all laughing, right now.
The Switch is the Wii 2.0 and filled with equally as much shit mobile level trash while missing basically every modern release. Junk.

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
🚨Oh no that word again 🚨

There is saying:
"Necessity is the mother of invention"

What is innovation if not a subset of invention.

A lot of people confuse innovation when they mean iteration.

So. Nintendo's 'innovation" doesn't come from a place of ambition or forward thinking.

It comes from the necessity of iterating at what they are good and at the same time the self-limiting mindset (risk-averse) of competing at the High-End.

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
This keep getting repeated what credit is BoTW getting for inventing anything? BoTW is just damn good.

Nintendo come up with a lot of nonsensical gimmicks that they use for one or two generations then abandon, I don't give them too much credit for that, they usually result in worse products for me.

With their games is kind of of the opposite, I like it a lot better when they are trying new thing but they are really into very iterative sequels that a lot of the time change very little.

ParaSeoul

24 Jun 2022
Yeah because they've innovated in the past people take everything they do as an innovation and do ignore a lot of scummy shit they do. A lot of Nintendo products were outright ruined because of innovation for innovation sakes,see the Wii U and Star Fox Zero. I've noticed Americans make up most of the Nintendo cult like fans because they think Nintendo saved gaming during the Video Game Crash,ignoring the fact the crash only happened in North America and that European and Japanese markets were thriving at the time.

• fire
Reactions: Muddasar
Status
Not open for further replies.