Do you think Sunset Overdrive will ever come to Playstation?

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022

Ratchet-_-Clank_-Rift-Apart_20210605135235.jpg

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
They own the IP yet not the first game right?

I remember something of the sort. So? Either a sequel, reboot, or re release of original game with a slightly different title?

They do need some more obscure game releases in between all these tentpole blockbuster games.

Reactions: EDMIX

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I don't think so. It was a failure and they have many other IPs with more sales potential. I would keep Insomniac working on new stuff like Spider-Man 2, Wolverine, some VR stuff, the next Ratchet and maybe a new IP.

If Sony's porting teams have spare time maybe, but I wouldn't wast Bluepoint or Nixxes resources on this game when they could remaster Bloodborne, the Nathan Drake Collection or TLOU2 for PS5 and PC. And if we're talking about remakes, I think GoW1 and Uncharted 1 would be better candidates.

They own the IP yet not the first game right?
Sony owns the IP because Insomniac had it when they were acquired. But the game pretty likely has an exclusive deal with MS that prevents it from releasing it in non-MS consoles. If such exclusivity deal exists, we should see if it's protected against modified versions/remasters/remakes etc.

But in any case it performed way worse than the IPs where Insomniac has been working recently (Spider-Man or Ratchet), so pretty likely they won't go back to this game.

Wait…. Sony bought them only in 2020? Wtf
2019, Layden's best deal before exiting 🙂
They can come around m$ with remastered version 😂
I do hope the next is R&C.
In February 2019 was decided that in April 2019 Jim Ryan would replace John Kodera as SIE CEO. The acquisition was agreeded in August 2019 and completed in November 2019. It was one of the first big moves of the Jim Ryan era.

Shawn Layden stepped down as Worldide Studios (now PS Studios) CEO in September 30, 2019 after barely a year in a half in that position and in the middle of this acquisition apparently because had discrepancies with the new SIE management and their strategies.

He was replaced as the head of the Sony game development studios (not SIE) by Hermen Hulst, someone with a profile closer to game developers because he previously was a game developer, managed gamedev studios and game development projects. Shawn instead was more SIE executive profile and originally came from the communications area. Unlike Hermen he didn't have experience on game development or managing gamedev teams, but I assume sounded nicer as salesman in interviews or conferences.

Last edited:
Reactions: rofif

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
Like I explained countless times, although they retain the IP, MS has exclusive publishing rights and that goes a long way towards blocking anything else from being done with that game.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
I was just playing alan wake remastered and laughed when that iconic 'MICROSOFT GAME STUDIOS PRESENTS' pop-up was replaced with 'EPIC GAMES PUBLISHING PRESENTS' during the intro. ;)

sure, it took 11 years but the publishing deal expired.

it's safe to say any deal between the two parties has lapsed. It's all a matter of if Insomniac wants to do a sequel and revive the IP.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
They got done dirty? The only reason the game exists is because of Microsoft... They wanted to make it for PlayStation but Sony said they wanted Insomniac to sign over the IP in order for the game to be released which they refused.
You are right but the follow evens are funny.

- Insomniac wanted to have the IP for themselves so the deal didn’t work with Sony.
- Insomniac allowed to buy them that automatically makes all IPs they wanted to hold from Sony to be owned by Sony.

Seems like something didn’t worked well for them going with IP ownership and at the end everything fall in Sony hands.

Reactions: EDMIX