Do you think Super Mario Bros Wonder deserves 1 of the 6 GOTY nominations ?

Do you think Super Mario Wonder deserves 1 of the 6 GOTY nominations ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
So many people keep saying that Super Mario Bros Wonder deserves a GOTY nominee....I disagree. It's a great 2d platformer but that's all it is....a GOTY nominee should be a lot more than just that. Wonder, as fun as it is, has a non existent story, repetitive and simple gameplay (still fun), and is very easy even for Mario standards. A lot of other games deliver so much more....It makes more sense to have something like HiFi Rush, Assassins Creed Mirage, and Like a Dragon Ishin, as GOTY nominations than SMB Wonder.

Why do people keep saying it should be one of the 6 nominees?!? Am I missing something? If you think it deserves a nomination, please let me know why.

Reactions: Diah

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
Yeah the game looks really good But it definitely lacks the feel of what they’re going for. Maybe I’m wrong I didn’t get it it’ll be at the awards for sure but I dunno games fun but better than mario world? I don’t know about that I’ll see it when I believe it.

Reactions: Diah

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Yeah the game looks really good But it definitely lacks the feel of what they’re going for. Maybe I’m wrong I didn’t get it it’ll be at the awards for sure but I dunno games fun but better than mario world? I don’t know about that I’ll see it when I believe it.
It is pretty well-rounded designed, except for coop.

They still shit the bed when it comes to coop. No uniqur coop machenics, and wtf is that camera cut.

I think there is nothing revolutionary about it though.

Reactions: Snes nes

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
I think Nintendo probably will invested on Argumented Reality next gen, so let's see what they come up with.

This gen they kinda dropped the ball with the joycons, feel like you not missing with anything going for the Lite except drifting.

Reactions: JAHGamer

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
So far it’s fun. More fun than a few other games that will be nominated. So why not.

Games, in the end, are about fun and gameplay. Story, cutting edge visuals, cutscenes are all secondary and icing on the cake. Saying it shouldn’t be a nominee because it doesn’t have a big story sounds nuts to me. These are video games. Not video movies.

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
It is pretty well-rounded designed, except for coop.

They still shit the bed when it comes to coop. No uniqur coop machenics, and wtf is that camera cut.

I think there is nothing revolutionary about it though.

Yeah it’s not revolutionary for sure but to me it’s a game and that’s all it needs to be. Part of the games issue though is the difficulty that the old games had is obviously missing and I think that takes away from some of the games ability to truly shine as a true successor to their old titles.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Having not played it, I will not vote. I hope you all do the same, though I have heard positive things...

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I think Nintendo probably will invested on Argumented Reality next gen, so let's see what they come up with.

This gen they kinda dropped the ball with the joycons, feel like you not missing with anything going for the Lite except drifting.
You miss tv play, duh. The most important part...

Last edited:
OP
OP
JAHGamer

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Absolutely! It's a top-quality game and a joy to play.
So are other games that aren't even in the discussion, they have fun gameplay and much more.
So far it’s fun. More fun than a few other games that will be nominated. So why not.

Games, in the end, are about fun and gameplay. Story, cutting edge visuals, cutscenes are all secondary and icing on the cake. Saying it shouldn’t be a nominee because it doesn’t have a big story sounds nuts to me. These are video games. Not video movies.
Having great gameplay and great story/graphics aren't mutually exclusive, idek why you even brought up "video movies" nonsense, no one is asking for video movies 🤦‍♂️ you sound like Xbox fanboys that try to downplay great Sony 1st party games just because they fire on all cylinders. It's 2023, a game can have everything and also do everything well.

.....Of course the game is fun, no one is denying that. It HAS to be fun since it doesn't have much else going for it. There are other games that are just as fun and deliver in many more areas, including the ones you listed.
Because the game is good
Duh, but not GOTY nominee good, especially in a year this packed.

OP
OP
JAHGamer

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
I think they nailed what they were trying to go for, the art direction and level design is amazing, the new powerups, and new enemies are all very good, and the music is great.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
So are other games that aren't even in the discussion, they have fun gameplay and much more.

Having great gameplay and great story/graphics aren't mutually exclusive, idek why you even brought up "video movies" nonsense, no one is asking for video movies 🤦‍♂️ you sound like Xbox fanboys that try to downplay great Sony 1st party games just because they fire on all cylinders. It's 2023, a game can have everything and also do everything well.

.....Of course the game is fun, no one is denying that. It HAS to be fun since it doesn't have much else going for it. There are other games that are just as fun and deliver in many more areas, including the ones you listed.

Duh, but not GOTY nominee good, especially in a year this packed.

Like which games? Unless you think side scrollers shouldn’t count? I can see many outlets skipping it for that reason.

OP
OP
JAHGamer

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Like which games? Unless you think side scrollers shouldn’t count? I can see many outlets skipping it for that reason.
I listed a few in my original post, HiFi Rush, AC Mirage, Like a Dragon Ishin. And no, I've nothing against side scrollers, a game called "Convergence: A League of Legends Story" came out this year, it's a side scroller that I loved, had better gameplay than SMB Wonder, good characters, and a good story, it's a 2d side scroller that's not even in the discussion either.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
I listed a few in my original post, HiFi Rush, AC Mirage, Like a Dragon Ishin. And no, I've nothing against side scrollers, a game called "Convergence: A League of Legends Story" came out this year, it's a side scroller that I loved, had better gameplay than SMB Wonder, good characters, and a good story, it's a 2d side scroller that's not even in the discussion either.

Darn it. I played Hi-Fi Rush but didn’t like it over Wonder. I can’t say about the rest, I haven’t played those.

Reactions: Diah and JAHGamer

avenovah

Veteran
8 Jan 2023
As much as I love FFXVI, it's definitely not in the top 6 now.

Baldur's Gate 3
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Resident Evil 4 (2023)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder
Marvel's Spider-Man 2
Alan Wake 2

Reactions: Entropi