Does anyone really notice resolution dropping with Dynamic Res?

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
I ask because I have a 4K TV and I never even noticed it happen while playing. I think low res is only noticiable on cutscenes. I’m playing Yakuza like a dragon and the lower res is perceptible on the cutscenes because of the aliasing to the point that game would’ve benefitted from dynamic res because the game surely would run at max res or close to max on cutscenes while maintaining the fps and drop the res on demanding gameplay scenes, like effects on spells, for example and we would not notice. Why some games don’t use it?

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Yes.
It is pretty easy to notice it.

It is like when you are watching a streaming and sometimes the blur increase because it is dropping the bitrate.
Of course big drops are more noticiable than smaller drops... a drop 2160p to 2000p will probably not brother me to the point to notice it but 2160p to 1440p is jarring.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I ask because I have a 4K TV and I never even noticed it happen while playing. I think low res is only noticiable on cutscenes. I’m playing Yakuza like a dragon and the lower res is perceptible on the cutscenes because of the aliasing to the point that game would’ve benefitted from dynamic res because the game surely would run at max res or close to max on cutscenes while maintaining the fps and drop the res on demanding gameplay scenes, like effects on spells, for example and we would not notice. Why some games don’t use it?
No, nor am I sensitive to fps drops. You are talking to a guy who had to really pay attention to notice frame pacing issues in Bloodborne.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
Only if its a severe drop from 1800p to 1080p. You can see the image become notably fuzzier in some places in Metro Exodus especially in the Taiga levels.

But in most cases it's imperceptible. As long as the performance remains fluid, it's very easy to overlook.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: PlacidusaX
OP
OP
Swift_Star

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Yes.
It is pretty easy to notice it.

It is like when you are watching a streaming and sometimes the blur increase because it is dropping the bitrate.
Of course big drops are more noticiable than smaller drops... a drop 2160p to 2000p will probably not brother me to the point to notice it but 2160p to 1440p is jarring.
I never had that experience on games, honestly. But on movies is noticeable.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Nope, I never noticed that specific thing.

Mind you, I never tried the games where it dropped extremely low, as it did on the xbone in some cases (Halo 5) or the Series S which seem to drop below 720p in some cases.

But techniques like Wipeout HD used on the PS3 where it doubled the width of pixels for a fake 4k fooled me.

I think that the reconstruction techniques are more annoying, the one that PS4 pro uses is not that great with fast moving objects as it causes artefacting.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
most of this stuff happens when action is intensive, so no, most of the time people won't see it because they are engage in gameplay, actions etc..

but of course, if you are sitting at you armchair and just watching or analyse video, you can see it.

Reactions: Swift_Star

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Never and even FPS drops don't bother me. I can barely tell. Some people are crazy and I 100% blame Digital Foundry. They give too much attention to these psychos.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Yeah, but it depends on how far you sit from your TV. The closer you are the easier it is to notice. Also depends on framerate. Lower framerates = easier to notice, especially if you turn off motion blur.