Does Sony need to buy more studios? Or more 3rd party deals?

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
3rd party games from the big studios like Capcom, Rockstar, Namco, Square etc etc and publishers seems less and less likely in the future for Playstation.

I know there has been some great ones recently (Final Fantasy 7Rebirth) and Im sure there will be some in the future, but overall its pretty clear atm alot of publishers prefer not to have platform exclusives. For right or wrong, maybe that will change back in the future.

Lets say for argument sake lets say there will be less 3rd party exclusives from big studios.

As Playstation fans, what do you think Sony should be doing to counter this? They’ve had semi similar times with PS3. Especially with Kojima being the only big name having an exclusive with PS in the future.

Should they:

Invest in more publishing/co-devlop/deals with games like Stellar Blade, Rise of Ronin, HellDivers 2?

Invest in game partnerships like Kena, Sifu, Stray and other smaller games?

Build more studios from scratch?

Buy some more studios? We havent heard from studios like Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch with a brand new game for awhile.
Should they be looking for buy a couple more studios to join the bigger studios like Santa Monica, Guerrilla, Insomniac, Media Molecule or even House Marque where w can get more AAA single player games?
Or if you think they should buy studios for smaller games or other genres?

Can they expand there current studios even more?

Or No1 cares and Playstation can just make money from 3rd party games more now that Xbox is less in the console business.

This is mostly for Playstation fans and what they think Playstation should be doing with there first party basically, and getting more games from them?

No FUDing or complaining about gaas. Or PC ports. I dont want PC ports but lets talk about what we want , and what you think Sony should they do now for there future Playstation studio games?

reziel

Banned
12 Jun 2023
Definitely a couple more studios or atleast higher stakes into some of them if they can't buy them. I get they don't have a huge chunk of cash to blow off like another we all know but they should atleast have something to release atleast every other year to help fuel continuity for their consumers. The 3rd party deals are fine every now and then but with how things are going now they'll definitely lose their lead with how their competitor is slowly worming their way into all their main business partners. Mihoyo is a prime example and with Korea starting to jump.on the console wagon Shift Up would be a good start. I say this because even though their competitor has supposedly given up their console business or focus atleast they still have a better lead/idea of their online service plans.

• brain
Reactions: Kokoloko
OP
OP
Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Definitely a couple more studios or atleast higher stakes into some of them if they can't buy them. I get they don't have a huge chunk of cash to blow off like another we all know but they should atleast have something to release atleast every other year to help fuel continuity for their consumers. The 3rd party deals are fine every now and then but with how things are going now they'll definitely lose their lead with how their competitor is slowly worming their way into all their main business partners. Mihoyo is a prime example and with Korea starting to jump.on the console wagon Shift Up would be a good start. I say this because even though their competitor has supposedly given up their console business or focus atleast they still have a better lead/idea of their online service plans.

I Forgot about that.
They could invest in some publishers and studios. Not buy them outright but buy a percentage

And yes Mihoyo and Shift up are good examples. Doubt they would sell to a Japanese company?

Last edited:
Reactions: reziel

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
They should continue what they were doing at the start of the generation with seeking out starter studios and then have a buyout clause in place.

Definitely invest in more smaller studios as well to fill out their AA roster... Games like Kena, sifu, stray as you mentioned.

I don't think in the long run they need to worry about 3rd party pubs as with Xbox basically throwing in the towel to an extent, more and more 3rd party sales will also end up on PS.

They need a few more AAA studios under their roster as well, but I guess they can also remedy this by also expanding certain studios or spinning then off into smaller studios hubs and then build them up, like they are doing with the current Bungie studio.

I also think PlayStation has caught wind of this shift and that's why they've security partners in China and Asian teroritoes. I have to commend them on being the first to invest in China and it will hopefully pay off for them.

Reactions: Airbus and Kokoloko

YeezyDude

17 Jun 2024
Denmark
3rd party games from the big studios like Capcom, Rockstar, Namco, Square etc etc and publishers seems less and less likely in the future for Playstation.

I know there has been some great ones recently (Final Fantasy 7Rebirth) and Im sure there will be some in the future, but overall its pretty clear atm alot of publishers prefer not to have platform exclusives. For right or wrong, maybe that will change back in the future.

Lets say for argument sake lets say there will be less 3rd party exclusives from big studios.

As Playstation fans, what do you think Sony should be doing to counter this? They’ve had semi similar times with PS3. Especially with Kojima being the only big name having an exclusive with PS in the future.

Should they:

Invest in more publishing/co-devlop/deals with games like Stellar Blade, Rise of Ronin, HellDivers 2?

Invest in game partnerships like Kena, Sifu, Stray and other smaller games?

Build more studios from scratch?

Buy some more studios? We havent heard from studios like Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch with a brand new game for awhile.
Should they be looking for buy a couple more studios to join the bigger studios like Santa Monica, Guerrilla, Insomniac, Media Molecule or even House Marque where w can get more AAA single player games?
Or if you think they should buy studios for smaller games or other genres?

Can they expand there current studios even more?

Or No1 cares and Playstation can just make money from 3rd party games more now that Xbox is less in the console business.

This is mostly for Playstation fans and what they think Playstation should be doing with there first party basically, and getting more games from them?

No FUDing or complaining about gaas. Or PC ports. I dont want PC ports but lets talk about what we want , and what you think Sony should they do now for there future Playstation studio games?
Why not both? Including 2nd party stuff too... I mean that would be great. But who knows what Sony is planning though so I guess all we can do is wait and see 🤷‍♂️

• they're_right_you_know
OP
OP
Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
If they buy more studios, they’ll probably need to sell the games on other platforms to recover the cost, so I’d say making deals is a better option.

Deals makes sense.

What if its studios that are already successful and profitable?

Playstation’s big games like TLOU, Ghost Of Tsushima, God of Wars, Spiderman 2 , Horizon were all successful selling 10+ million copies.
Buying another already successful studio that makes successful games isn't much different.

YeezyDude

17 Jun 2024
Denmark
Totally why not both. Agreed
I mean if done right so is more stuff better than less stuff... But it's all about it been done right in the end. So let's just say I hope Sony's plans for 2025 etc. are better than how stuff has been since the start of the PS5 generation! (y)

reziel

Banned
12 Jun 2023
I Forgot about that.
They could invest in some publishers and studios. Not buy them outright but buy a percentage

And yes Mihoyo and Shift up are good examples. Doubt they would sell to a Japanese company?
Not sure how China views purchases from Japan honestly could be the same way Japan denies purchases from the west. I would atleast think they have a higher chance if China views it as a positive investment in gaming and growing their economy. Then again I think Tencent owns Mihoyo or atleast I thought they did I forgot about that.

• they're_right_you_know

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Not sure how China views purchases from Japan honestly could be the same way Japan denies purchases from the west. I would atleast think they have a higher chance if China views it as a positive investment in gaming and growing their economy. Then again I think Tencent owns Mihoyo or atleast I thought they did I forgot about that.
Tencent does not own Mihoyo.

• Informative
Reactions: Kokoloko and reziel

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
They need turn there studios with legacy & beloved ip to multi team. Suckerpunch should have a Sly & inFAMOUS team & Naughty Dog should have a Jak & Daxter & Uncharted team sho instead of receiving a new game every 5-7 years we a new game from them every 2 years in cycle like insomniac.

They should also buy some studios to bolster there diversity. Arc system work for fgc, possibly level 5 for jrpg (level 5 could be use as a Japanese studio to work on license ip jrpg such as Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest or Persona to ensure PS can still get exclusive games from those franchise) because rn square enix & sega aren’t going to do exclusive with those franchise if there taking the time & money but if Sony does it under them I don’t see Square Enix rejecting essentially free money with PS taking control instead of one of there studios taking the time. There’s a few other studio & even publisher Sony should invest or outright buy. Kadokawa acquisition outright, Square investment, even possibly Nether Realm if WB sells them. Studio GOBO would be a good pickup if they can make smaller spinoffs of PS ip allowing Guerilla or main studios not work on a license ip where the game itself won’t be exclusive wasting that studio time & getting less exclusive which PS needs more because they lack exclusive games where they own the ip itself. Licensing ip like Nintendo would be smart

They could also poach developers to build new studios. Want someone to develop a new SOCOM? Maybe build a new studio we ex Rainbow Six Siege/Tom Clancy devs which wouldn’t be that hard imo & that’s just one easy case. You could do this w other genre such as mobile & poaching developers from Zynga new Star Wars Hunter mobile game & building a new mobile team to make a game similar to Star Wars Hunter but using the Destiny ip.

Last edited:
  • Shake

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
i don’t really see what difference it makes. Sony isn’t directly competing with anyone anymore.

Just be like Nintendo and license out their IP to more 2nd party partnerships. No one makes the distinction when it’s an obvious playstation character made by a 3rd party like sackboy. Just like no one cares how Peach, Brothership, or Zelda is being made by 3rd parties

Make a jak and daxter Metroidvania. A Ratchet and Clank strategy game, etc.

• brain
OP
OP
Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
They need turn there studios with legacy & beloved ip to multi team. Suckerpunch should have a Sly & inFAMOUS team & Naughty Dog should have a Jak & Daxter & Uncharted team sho instead of receiving a new game every 5-7 years we a new game from them every 2 years in cycle like insomniac.

They should also buy some studios to bolster there diversity. Arc system work for fgc, possibly level 5 for jrpg (level 5 could be use as a Japanese studio to work on license ip jrpg such as Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest or Persona to ensure PS can still get exclusive games from those franchise) because rn square enix & sega aren’t going to do exclusive with those franchise if there taking the time & money but if Sony does it under them I don’t see Square Enix rejecting essentially free money with PS taking control instead of one of there studios taking the time. There’s a few other studio & even publisher Sony should invest or outright buy. Kadokawa acquisition outright, Square investment, even possibly Nether Realm if WB sells them.

100% with the multi team studios and legacy titles.
And yes about the bolster there studios with the likes of Ark, Level 5, Kadokawa etc.

I dont think building new studios is the way to go right now, well not the complete plan

OP
OP
Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
i don’t really see what difference it makes. Sony isn’t directly competing with anyone anymore.

Just be like Nintendo and license out their IP to more 2nd party partnerships. No one makes the distinction when it’s an obvious playstation character made by a 3rd party like sackboy. Just like no one cares how Peach, Brotherhood, or Zelda is being made by 3rd parties

But what about having more PS quality AAA SP titles? I guess they could hire out studios for individual projects/new ips, license ips etc?
Which studios and ips do you think would work?

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
I think in general, major expansion is just a bad idea, especially if it’s just to get more content. There are probably other technological reasons to acquire companies that offer more diversity of income. Bungie for example, having expertise in multiplayer or Haven having expertise in AI is probably more along the lines of what sony is looking for

OP
OP
Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I think in general, major expansion is just a bad idea, especially if it’s just to get more content. There are probably other technological reasons to acquire companies that offer more diversity of income. Bungie for example, having expertise in multiplayer or Haven having expertise in AI is probably more along the lines of what sony is looking for

I think even if its not major, PS has always expanded in some ways every few years. I wonder whats next?

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
But what about having more PS quality AAA SP titles? I guess they could hire out studios for individual projects/new ips, license ips etc?
Which studios and ips do you think would work?

No one knew of Studio Gobo until the Lego Horizon Adventure game was announced or Ballistic Moon. The possibilities of partnerships, especially relatively inexpensive ones are kind of endless. Sony has their finger on the pulse more than we do. They have teams of people that seek out these specific smaller studios that can make these games.

Just continue to do what they’ve been doing.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Sony competes w PC/Steam, Nintendo & Apple. Saying otherwise is serious cope & really shortsighted

Nothing sony releases now, especially if they keep spending money on acquisitions is going to skip Steam. I can’t believe you all haven’t made peace with that by now.

No major 3rd party company is going to do paid exclusive anymore. The most reasonable thing sony can do is partnerships with smaller studios to launch more smaller games inbetween their tentpole titles. If those smaller partnerships work out they can bring them into the fold like they’ve always done.

Just buying companies they don’t have long working relationships with the past few years has been fruitless and chaotic.