Does Sony need to buy more studios? Or more 3rd party deals?

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Yes and Yes.

Invest through stock purchases:
-15/20 Percent of SE to have timed exclusive dibs on FF
-Some sort of lonterm partnetship or investment into Konami's gaming division to have dibs on their Ips.
-Invest more in fromsoft ware to help them develop more games and get an exclusive from the once a Gen
-Invest more in Epic games to always have a seat at the table for Unreal Engine
-Acquire smaller partner studios like Arrowhead
-Invest in or acquire some of these Souls like knock off studios that actually look good like the lies of P team and phantom blade
-Invest a significant amount in either EA or Take 2.

All of that could be done with probably 5 billion or less and theyd effectively "Nintendofied" themselves for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

KvallyX

Veteran
Icon Extra
13 Nov 2023
Your Mom
3rd party games from the big studios like Capcom, Rockstar, Namco, Square etc etc and publishers seems less and less likely in the future for Playstation.

I know there has been some great ones recently (Final Fantasy 7Rebirth) and Im sure there will be some in the future, but overall its pretty clear atm alot of publishers prefer not to have platform exclusives. For right or wrong, maybe that will change back in the future.

Lets say for argument sake lets say there will be less 3rd party exclusives from big studios.

As Playstation fans, what do you think Sony should be doing to counter this? They’ve had semi similar times with PS3. Especially with Kojima being the only big name having an exclusive with PS in the future.

Should they:

Invest in more publishing/co-devlop/deals with games like Stellar Blade, Rise of Ronin, HellDivers 2?

Invest in game partnerships like Kena, Sifu, Stray and other smaller games?

Build more studios from scratch?

Buy some more studios? We havent heard from studios like Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch with a brand new game for awhile.
Should they be looking for buy a couple more studios to join the bigger studios like Santa Monica, Guerrilla, Insomniac, Media Molecule or even House Marque where w can get more AAA single player games?
Or if you think they should buy studios for smaller games or other genres?

Can they expand there current studios even more?

Or No1 cares and Playstation can just make money from 3rd party games more now that Xbox is less in the console business.

This is mostly for Playstation fans and what they think Playstation should be doing with there first party basically, and getting more games from them?

No FUDing or complaining about gaas. Or PC ports. I dont want PC ports but lets talk about what we want , and what you think Sony should they do now for there future Playstation studio games?
Just release great games. No need for purchasing or deals. Just keep rocking great games.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
People talk about sonys AAA SP games like they are made in factory. It’s not as simple as buying more studios to make more AAA games.

What other big developers out there are consistently producing high quality titles like SIE? Who even knows if the studios sony currently have working on big single players are gonna knock their next iteration out of the park.

Also, sony isn’t in the business of trying to flood their own platform with their own titles. They aren’t Nintendo, they have to make playstation viable for 3rd party partners to thrive on not be in constant competition with them.

Do people even want 4 big sony AAA games a year? Probably not, sonys games are events because unlike Ubisoft they don’t release as often, sony gives their devs time to get things right and squeeze in some new ideas.

On top of that developers have to WANT to be bought and it doesn’t seem like most of the devs that can compete with sonys studios are willing to give up their autonomy

Reactions: Men_in_Boxes

KvallyX

Veteran
Icon Extra
13 Nov 2023
Your Mom
All PlayStation needs right now, from a competitive market standpoint, is to get their GAAS initiative up and running. Their churn studios need to hold out a little while longer and support PlayStations transition into the modern era.
Maya Rudolph What GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

OP
OP
Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Why do they need to be AAA
It's okay to make smaller games to fill the back catalogue while the larger stuff is developed.
Smaller games are fine too. Im a fan, Ive been complaining about that since japan studios hasnt been making those smaller type games.

But Id like some more games like Ghost of Tsushima, God of War and Naughty Dog style games too

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
if more studios, buy time proved studios, not some lowest unknown studios.
if more 3rd party, just AAA, most interested ones.

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
The math is simple.

The Live Service market is now bigger than the traditional single player market.

The Live Service segment is still growing, unlike the traditional single player market.

PlayStation Studios primary weakness over the last 10 years is Live Service.

That has to be corrected. The new era demands it.

KvallyX

Veteran
Icon Extra
13 Nov 2023
Your Mom
The math is simple.

The Live Service market is now bigger than the traditional single player market.

The Live Service segment is still growing, unlike the traditional single player market.

PlayStation Studios primary weakness over the last 10 years is Live Service.

That has to be corrected. The new era demands it.
No, we need less GaaS games. And Sony has actually DELAYED their GaaS output by half. That is a good thing.

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
No, we need less GaaS games. And Sony has actually DELAYED their GaaS output by half. That is a good thing.
Hiroki Titoki said their mid to long term strategy surrounding GAAS remains unchanged. They know this is where the industry continues to head.

Reactions: Kokoloko

KvallyX

Veteran
Icon Extra
13 Nov 2023
Your Mom
Hiroki Titoki said their mid to long term strategy surrounding GAAS remains unchanged. They know this is where the industry continues to head.
Not when there is already too many GaaS games trying to grab the attention of the existing player base. Don't believe everything Tikoki says either.

OP
OP
Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

MP games / Gaas are fine.
But they also said there cinematic single player games are there foundation and will build on it .

No1 needs to be worried about single player games going

Reactions: KvallyX

Airbus

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jun 2022
Built a smaller studio and grow from that

Or they can just established another new big aaa studio if theyre confident

I dont want them to buy EA, Ubisoft, Bethesda etc and acquire everything like Microsoft tried recently

I hate monopoly

• thisistheway
Reactions: Kokoloko
OP
OP
Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
That is my bread and butter. YUM.
Same. Even though Ive bene jumping into light online games like GT7 and Stardew Valley recently lol. Im terrible at GT7 so gonna keep to offline with that

KvallyX

Veteran
Icon Extra
13 Nov 2023
Your Mom
Same. Even though Ive bene jumping into light online games like GT7 and Stardew Valley recently lol. Im terrible at GT7 so gonna keep to offline with that
I am terrible at online in GT7 as well. I only went in there for a trophy. I was like 8th out of 12.

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
Not when there is already too many GaaS games trying to grab the attention of the existing player base.
The GAAS market is still growing. The traditional single player game market is not.

It would be foolish to ignore market realities.

KvallyX

Veteran
Icon Extra
13 Nov 2023
Your Mom
who cares. just enjoy the gaming.
I do enjoy gaming, but I get frustrated online racing when I get my ass kicked by 20 laps, or when people drop out from the game while racing or getting rammed. One time I was racing online, and I think I was like in 3rd out of 12, and then the 9 people behind me just quit out :(

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
MP games / Gaas are fine.
But they also said there cinematic single player games are there foundation and will build on it .

No1 needs to be worried about single player games going
I don't think single player is going anywhere. It's just not growing.

In other words...the bedrock or foundation of a 200 story skyscraper can be 20 floors deep. You need a strong bedrock to build something truly massive. It looks like that's Sonys plan.