Don't like Yakuza's new turn-based combat? Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth lets Kiryu switch to real-time brawling

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
playing through the game now, at chapter eight atm, never played any of the Yakuza games but i really like the combat in this one.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
playing through the game now, at chapter eight atm, never played any of the Yakuza games but i really like the combat in this one.
Which ? I hope you didn't start with Like a Dragon, thats the 8th game in the series
Is it hard to understand the story if you havent played the previous games?
IMO yes, its hard to understand and it also spoils previous games, definitely start with 0 and continue chronologically

Reactions: Kokoloko

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Is it hard to understand the story if you havent played the previous games?
Not at all to me at all, I have not played any of the other games and I take this game as its starting point, and not once have i thought "Ah shit i wish i had started on some of the older entries."

I am sure if you wanted to get the entire experience and every single bit of lore? then playing the entire series back to front is the way to go, but for me as a single entry, its great as it is.

The characters are well-written, with a lot of quirky things to do, to be honest, I am enjoying the game a lot more than I thought I would.

Some of the side quests are ridiculously silly and stupid but in a good way, lots of humor, and the world is packed with literally hundreds of things to do, and it's not like your usual boring Farcry liberate a place etc etc.

My only gripe with the game is the combat can feel a bit too easy at times,

Don't be afraid to play it, the game has so much to offer.

Last edited:

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Which ? I hope you didn't start with Like a Dragon, thats the 8th game in the series

IMO yes, its hard to understand and it also spoils previous games, definitely start with 0 and continue chronologically
I got it as a free game on PS Plus many a month ago.

I 100% will try other games in the series but i dont have the time to work through everyone in the series, i would probably hand-pick the best of the bunch.

Do you have any recommendations as to what those best games would be?

Cragarmi

Moderator- From the United Kingdom
Moderating
20 Jun 2022

I 100% will try other games in the series but i dont have the time to work through everyone in the series, i would probably hand-pick the best of the bunch.

Definitely play 0 it's the best of the bunch!

• Informative
Reactions: Sircaw and JAHGamer

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023

I agree with Cragarmi, if theres one thats a MUST PLAY, it's definitely 0. Y3 is my least favorite and the only one I'd say is ok to skip, but the rest are pretty important. I don't like 6 either but the ending is critical to LAD and the new Yakuza Infinite Wealth game

• Informative
Reactions: Sircaw

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.

4, 5 and 7. Also the Judgment games are great. Play the Kiwami games if you want to see the beginning of the story.

6 is great, but super short.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Honestly I don't really like Lad, feel cheesey as hell.

I prefer the Judge games because it feels like detective story to me. Feel like Solatine/Oldboy type.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Honestly feels bad there is not
a murder in school
in lost judgement

Back when I was working in collage, having shifts at night. The atmosphere is so tense, not to mention rumours of suicides.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Honestly feels bad there is not
a murder in school
in lost judgement

Back when I was working in collage, having shifts at night. The atmosphere is so tense, not to mention rumours of suicides.
Well

a student was bullied and driven to suicide so that’s pretty much murder in my book

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023

Also try judgement and lost judgement, the story in those games is really good and the gameplay is so much better then the turn based one they have in 7

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Definitely play 0 it's the best of the bunch!
Just DON’T play it first.

It is meant to be played between 5 and 6, and without seeing the character development through the first 5 games, the emotional punch of 0 is greatly diminished, especially where Majima is concerned.

• brain
Reactions: Old Gamer
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

It is meant to be played between 5 and 6, and without seeing the character development through the first 5 games, the emotional punch of 0 is greatly diminished, especially where Majima is concerned.
Never really tried these but have been wanting to.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Start with Kiwami and Kiwami 2, they’re remakes of the PS2 versions of 1 and 2 and are far less rough around the edges.

The remasters of 3, 4 and 5 are excellent, and as you go through the series you will likely get attached to the characters, which made 0 an amazing experience if you’ve gone from the start to there.

I got on the train with the first game, hunted down the second on release day, and almost cried when SEGA announced 5 would never leave Japan, so you could say I’m a bit of a fan.

Shit, I’ve even seen the movie Like a Dragon by Takashi Miike!

Old Gamer

Veteran
5 Aug 2022

I got all from 0 through 6 on PSN. So, I should play 1 to 5, then 0, then 6 for the best experience?

Reactions: JAHGamer

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
I got all from 0 through 6 on PSN. So, I should play 1 to 5, then 0, then 6 for the best experience?

No I disagree with him, definitely just start from 0 and go through it regularly DO NOT start with 5. Trust me, there’s no good reason to start out with 5, you lose a lot more than you gain. 0 was created as a mini reboot to get new fans into the series for a reason. Objectively the best place to start.