Dragon Ball creator Akira Toriyama dies at age 68

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022

Dragon Ball creator Akira Toriyama died on March 1 due to an acute subdural hematoma, Toriyama’s Bird Studio and Capsule Corporation Tokyo announced.

In addition to the Dragon Ball series, Toriyama also created Dr. Slump and SAND LAND, and handled the character designs for Chrono Trigger, Blue Dragon, and all of the Dragon Quest series.

Here is the full message from Bird Studio and Capsule Corporation Tokyo on Toriyama’s passing:

Dear friends and partners,

We are deeply saddened to inform you that Manga creator Akira Toriyama passed away on March 1 due to acute subdural hematoma. He was in age of 68.

It’s our deep regret that he still had several works in the middle of creation with great enthusiasm. Also, he would have many more things to achieve.

However, he has left many manga titles and works of art to this world, Thanks to the support of so many people around the world, he has been able to continue his creative activities for over 45 years. We hope that Akira Toriyama’s unique world of creation. continues to be loved by everyone for a long time to come.

We inform you this sad news, with gratefulness for your kindness during his lifetime.

Funeral service was held with his family and very few relatives, Following his wishes for tranquility, we respectfully inform you that we would not accept flowers, condolences gifts, visiting, offerings and others. Also, we ask you to refrain from conducting interviews with his family.

Future plan for commemorate gathering is not decided, we will let you know when it’s confirmed. We deeply thank you for your understanding and support as always.

March 8, 2024
Bird Studio
Capsule Corporation Tokyo

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
An absolute megaton of a notice.

Even if I wasn't a big dragon ball fan this man right here molded the childhoods and teenage years of hundreds of millions of people. For the milennial generation might be the equivalent of John Lennons death.

RIP

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
I literally gasped and froze when I saw it on Twitter. Absolutely gutted over this. I somehow assumed he'd be older.

The sheer excitement of making sure you get home on time to catch it on Toonami, so you can discuss it the next day at school.

When the Budakai game dropped on PS2, it was the greatest thing ever. Endless hours spent with cousins and neighbors playing.

Thank You! R.I.P Toriyama-san.

Last edited:

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Sad sad news. Man gave a whole generation childhood memories for life

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
RIP. Wish we would've gotten many more years out of him, he was a legend and one of the most iconic artists of our time.

Reactions: Petekilla

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
RIP, one of the very few celebrity deaths that feel personal for me, alongside Kobe and Michael Jackson.

Legends never really die though, his work will live on forever

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
Rip legend

Dragon Ball Z GIF by Toei Animation

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
His influence, both in Japan and worldwide, cannot be understated. He's a true icon.

DragonBall was one of the main pillars of the 90s overseas second anime boom.
In Japan, his influence in the battle shounen demographic has been immense and considering it's the most financial lucrative genre/demographic, well you can guess.

Beyond his main gig, he done a lot character design work.
Obviously the video game series he's most associated with is Dragon Quest, which has been humongous in Japan.
Beside the main cast for games, one can't forget this little fella? One of many creature designs over the years.
He's also done a lot of design work on Chrono Trigger.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Shitty news ahead of the weekend, may he rest in peace. Toyotaro has been taking over DB recently, but always under the supervision of Toriyama-san, so it will definitely not feel the same going forward. If these news hit hard, I can't imagine what will happen when eventually Masako Nozawa passes away.

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
Toriyama to manga is what Miyamoto is to gaming. Both created the Iconic character in their respective industries and helped transcend their respective mediums. Toriyama created an Icon manga that became an Iconic tv show that will last for generations to come. R.I.P. GOAT.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
This man shaped a large part of my childhood.... this is absolutely AWFUL news!!!!

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023
The GOAT RIP. Still think that Dragon Ball Z should have ended at the Cell saga but it is what it is.