Dragons Dogma 2: Itsuno states will release with an uncapped framerate! |UP| 3/5/24 IGN: runs at 30 FPS

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Update 3/5/24

Dragon's Dogma 2 runs at uncapped 30 FPS on PlayStation 5​

Dragon's Dogma 2 was running at 30 FPS on PlayStation 5, however this was uncapped

While the gameplay was amazing and I can’t wait to get back to play more, there was one concern I’ve seen the community curious about: the uncapped framerate on console. When looking at this it should be noted that I’m playing a version which Capcom clearly states is “still in development, and is not equivalent to the final product.” But in this build on PlayStation 5, Dragon’s Dogma 2 was averaging around 31 frames per second with dips during heavy moments of action while playing with the PS5 set to output at 4K. I did not get to test at lower base revolutions or VRR during my time to see if that had a positive impact on performance however, if I had one hope, it would be that Capcom added more options in the framerate department including, at minimum a capped 30 frames per second mode.
When we spoke with the developers in Tokyo, they were very skittish about how they said it, but they did say that they were targeting 60FPS on PS5. When I followed up on that, they would not commit to the game running at a locked 60FPS.

As for how the game ran during our playtest, it seems to contradict the rumor entirely. Keep in mind, that the build we played will probably be a year old by the time Dragon’s Dogma 2 launches. Also, our demo was three separate 20-minute sessions. These were specific parts of the game hand-built by the development team. While our experience is anecdotal, it for sure was not 30FPS.

Analyzing the direct capture from the PS5, the game ran at 60FPS with some inconsequential dips. All three 20-minute videos average around 59.50 FPS. We have uploaded a collection of screenshots so you can see yourself.

Information via Tokyo Game Shoe Atendee

Updated 2/26/24

Last edited:

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Future proofing is always great, hopefully that doesn't mean that there's no performance setting that remotely attempts to hit 60 FPS on a consistent basis.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

iAMJeffy

29 Oct 2022
Hopefully that means more optimizations so that it can stay above the VRR cap limit.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
That is not good news, usually game got upcapped when the framerate fluctuates.

Reactions: Sircaw

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
yep, I agree with @historia above me. I see this as bad news as it's going to have a frame rate all over the place.

I would think this game would be really good for the pro when it comes out.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
I guess they're leaving it open for the ps5pro to clear up framerate issues without needing to create a patch.

Mild Conviction

13 Jan 2023
I hope that means the game doesn't fluctuate wildly and stays within a small range. I'd rather play a game capped at 30 than play a game that wildly goes back and forth between 30 and 50 moment to moment.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
It's gonna be a great experience on optimized PS5. But I will be buying later, as Rise of the Ronin and FF Rebirth get priority.

Capcom has to put PlayStation back as their top platform for me to buy their games on or near release.

Reactions: JAHGamer

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Games now should come with a 30fps capped, 60fps capped, VRRmode and uncapped ( for future BC and other devices )

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
napoleon dynamite happy dance GIF

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Exicide

2 Feb 2024
Why everyone assuming that he is talking about consoles too? 😂
I can see it, if they actually optimize it well enough, but to be real, on PC, uncapped framerate is almost always an option, even if it isn't native, you can always do it yourself, usually its via an ini file but it depends on the game.

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
Dragons-Dogma-2-Reveal-1536x864.jpg

When we spoke with the developers in Tokyo, they were very skittish about how they said it, but they did say that they were targeting 60FPS on PS5. When I followed up on that, they would not commit to the game running at a locked 60FPS.

As for how the game ran during our playtest, it seems to contradict the rumor entirely. Keep in mind, that the build we played will probably be a year old by the time Dragon’s Dogma 2 launches. Also, our demo was three separate 20-minute sessions. These were specific parts of the game hand-built by the development team. While our experience is anecdotal, it for sure was not 30FPS.

Analyzing the direct capture from the PS5, the game ran at 60FPS with some inconsequential dips. All three 20-minute videos average around 59.50 FPS. We have uploaded a collection of screenshots so you can see yourself.

Information via Tokyo Game Shoe Atendee

Last edited by a moderator:

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Game is coming out on March 22nd, we can just wait for DF the dedicated FPS channels to show us what kind of performance we can expect for the title on PS5.