Dragon's Dogma and Rise of Ronin releasing on same day. Do you think it was smart financially for both to release on same day?

Do you think it was smart financially for both to release on same day?

• Yes, ppl will buy both no matter what if they want to.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, ppl will have to choose one or the other.

Votes: 15 75.0%
  • Neutral, don't think it makes a difference.

Votes: 5 25.0%

• Total voters

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Some of these takes remind me why I don't come here as often, lmao.
They gave up on Rebirth too fast and moved to Ronin. The release date is trash so there's no saving it. They should have focused on Rebirth until the end of the quarter (it was quiet the last 3 weeks) and Keep Ronin for April or May.

Rebirth is a genuine GOTY and they left it 1 day on the PSN Store, the next day they deleted all the banners and replaced it with NBA2K 🤦‍♂️

It was a Thursday so the game didn't even get a friday/weekend advertisement. It went to NBA2K Baller edition all weekend. Rage inducing.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I think that to release at the same time Dragon's Dogma 2, Rise of the Ronin and HFW PC is only partly an issue for launch. I think they are going to be games with very long sales so in the long term won't matter.

Obviously it would have been better for them to release in a month or week with less releases, and I assume they release here because it's when they are ready and wanted to release on time to have their launch sales counted in the fiscal numbers.

The thing is, March is normally a weak month, and in recent times there are great releases every month. So if instead of this week they'd have released anotther one, they'd have another big release or two in a week or two of different maximum. There's a lot of competition now.

Other than that, I think the competition is a bit limited between them because they have different settings and approaches other than being narrative open world action adventures with RPG elements.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
criticism is good, but some are always angry, sad and confused no matter what and it gets really old. people also have the tendency to speak on things like they're an authority when they really don't know what they're talking about at all.
Im one of the biggest critics but its because I care.

TBH I dont think any of the media or professionals also know what the are talking about. Thats why there are so many duds out and there and inconsistencies. Being anrgy is fine and complaining. I just cant be arsed with arguing.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
They gave up on Rebirth too fast and moved to Ronin. The release date is trash so there's no saving it. They should have focused on Rebirth until the end of the quarter (it was quiet the last 3 weeks) and Keep Ronin for April or May.

Rebirth is a genuine GOTY and they left it 1 day on the PSN Store, the next day they deleted all the banners and replaced it with NBA2K 🤦‍♂️

It was a Thursday so the game didn't even get a friday/weekend advertisement. It went to NBA2K Baller edition all weekend. Rage inducing.
The advertising in Japan has been abysmal. Its like FF7 isnt one of the best selling PS1 games of all time….
Yakuza and Capcom have been doing a much better job

• sad
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Sony has nothing to release from April onwards. They are releasing 4 games in 4 months. They could of easily just left this for summer or 2nd half of the year.
Not true.

In the first 2 months they have TLOU2R, Helldivers 2, Rise of the Ronin, MLB, Stellar Blade. Plus in PC HFW.

For the rest of the year they have announced Destiny 2 The Final Shape, Until Dawn remake, Convallaria, Lost Soul Aside, Concord and in PC GoT. Plus pretty likely they'll announce some 2024 game more later in the road, pretty likely in their typical late May/early June event.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Not true.

In the first 2 months they have TLOU2R, Helldivers 2, Rise of the Ronin, MLB, Stellar Blade. Plus in PC HFW.

For the rest of the year they have announced Destiny 2 The Final Shape, Until Dawn remake, Convallaria, Lost Soul Aside, Concord and in PC GoT. Plus pretty likely they'll announce some 2024 game more later in the road, pretty likely in their typical late May/early June event.

I really dont give a care about PC titles, Im talking about PS5 titles, PC ports are not PS5 games, PS fans dont care about PC ports lol.
Im talking about actual PS5 exclusives after Stellar Blade. None have a date yet, including Concord. I didnt say there wont be any, but as of now, there isnt anything planned.

Lost Soul Aside and Convallaria have no release dates. And Destiny 2 Final Shape is a DLC that is multiplatform. Lol at Until Dawn, I played that last gen.
There are no release dates for notable PS5 exclusives after Stellar Blade as of now

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I think that to release at the same time Dragon's Dogma 2, Rise of the Ronin and HFW PC is only partly an issue for launch. I think they are going to be games with very long sales so in the long term won't matter.

Obviously it would have been better for them to release in a month or week with less releases, and I assume they release here because it's when they are ready and wanted to release on time to have their launch sales counted in the fiscal numbers.

The thing is, March is normally a weak month, and in recent times there are great releases every month. So if instead of this week they'd have released anotther one, they'd have another big release or two in a week or two of different maximum. There's a lot of competition now.

Other than that, I think the competition is a bit limited between them because they have different settings and approaches other than being narrative open world action adventures with RPG elements.
I was waiting for your deep insight. Thank you Yurinka, now things are more clear to me.

Reactions: Yurinka

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I really dont give a care about PC titles, Im talking about PS5 titles, PC ports are not PS5 games, PS fans dont care about PC ports lol.
Im talking about actual PS5 exclusives after Stellar Blade. None have a date yet, including Concord. I didnt say there wont be any, but as of now, there isnt anything planned.

Lost Soul Aside and Convallaria have no release dates. And Destiny 2 Final Shape is a DLC that is multiplatform. Lol at Until Dawn, I played that last gen.
There are no release dates for notable PS5 exclusives after Stellar Blade as of now
Not announcing their release dates doesn't mean they don't have their roadmap already planned. Prety likely they already have it detailed with specific dates for all their 1P plus the main 3P releases for this and next year. And then with vague dates (stuff like "Q3 FY2025") for the next 5 years or so.

In recent years Sony focuses their marketing in the very short term, the next few months, highlighting the main big 1st and 3rd partty games plus cool indies, exclusive or not. Nobody buys only PS5 exclusives, most of the PS5 game sales and most big sellers are multiplatform titles. So Sony markets everything.

They have been marketing mostly the games planned to be released until early 2024. As they keep released, they'll move their focus to market the next batch, the one for the rest of the year.

You forgot to say that "2nd and 3rd party exclusives don't count" and "GaaS don't count" to complete the typical wrong statement of "Sony haz no gamez" ignoring the great catalog they have every year on their console.

Btw, Convallaria had 2023 as release date, Lost Soul Aside got a "early 2024" release in China Joy conference and Until Dawn is a remake where they have been making important changes and additions, it is not the same game you played last gen.

Last edited:

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Not announcing their release dates doesn't mean they don't have their roadmap already planned. Prety likely they already have it detailed with specific dates for all their 1P plus the main 3P releases for this and next year. And then with vague dates (stuff like "Q3 FY2025") for the next 5 years or so.

In recent years Sony focuses their marketing in the very short term, the next few months, highlighting the main big 1st and 3rd partty games plus cool indies, exclusive or not. Nobody buys only PS5 exclusives, most of the PS5 game sales and most big sellers are multiplatform titles. So Sony markets everything.

They have been marketing mostly the games planned to be released until early 2024. As they keep released, they'll move their focus to market the next batch, the one for the rest of the year.
Im not saying they dont have anything else coming. But we know nothing atm, especially from PS Studios. I expect Concord to come this year and hopefully something like Astrobot, especially the PSVR2 sake.

I wouldnt put too much trust in them either Yurinka, they arent as organised as they once were, the string of cancellations and lack of PS studio games is evident they’ve missed the ball in some places. We havent been told about a single player PS studio game since Spiderman 2/Wolverine times. I know stuff is coming, Im just saying what is clear.

Im not saying people buy the PS5 just for exclusives, but its why they are so popular. Its what saved there ass in PS3 era, what made them so popular in the PS4 era. And PS1/PS2 had so many 3rd party exclusives that drove the console forward. Exclusives will always be important. Its what makes a difference to there competitors.

Id say some of there best sellers now are PS exclusives like GOWR and Spiderman. Apart from COD, Harry Potter and Fifa, the best sellers are probably the big PS games like GOW, Spiderman and TLOU etc. They would be nothing without exclusives.

There new strategy of short term and keeping most there games hidden sucks lol. I prefer the PS3/PS4 days and even before where we knew what was coming from a long way out. I think they have fallen behind ( evident by cancelled games and studio closures, and thats why they arent announcing things like they use to.

Hopefully this summer they turn it around and have lots to announce, Im sure they will. It would be smart because it makes fans know more is coming, fans are less likely to commit knowing little is coming, its not a good strategy. The more fans know, the more they commit and buy the console.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
They decide the schedule. Why is Stellar Blade in April? Rebirth was the last day of Feb, that was the March game. Ronin should be where Stellar Blade is and Stellar should be 3 weeks later in May. Give some space to your releases.

Square and Tecmo should ditch their marketing with Sony. They are trash.

Reactions: JAHGamer

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Yeah, I think it's time to dip out from here and just game. I've said my peace on things numerous times and continuing to push back is pointless. Some people just like being angry and like arguing for dumb reasons.
I'm on the same page as you man. This is a hobby we obviously all enjoy, but the constant anger and arguments are just too much for me. With rebirth, everyone wants to discuss sales performance, with DD2, people want to put it up against ROTR and complain about little shit like fps or mtx that aren't even egregious. "gamer" spaces on the internet just aren't for me anymore, need to find a discord where people just enjoy GAMES for what they are.

• Shake
Reactions: AshHunter216

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
They decide the schedule. Why is Stellar Blade in April? Rebirth was the last day of Feb, that was the March game. Ronin should be where Stellar Blade is and Stellar should be 3 weeks later in May. Give some space to your releases.

Square and Tecmo should ditch their marketing with Sony. They are trash.
Let's see the first party roadmap we know for the first part of the year:
  • January: TLOU2R
  • February: Helldivers 2
  • March: MLB24, Rise of the Ronin (+HFW PC)
  • April: Stellar Blade
  • May (just a guess, they said "early 2024"): Lost Soul Aside (+GoT PC)
  • June: Destiny 2 The Final Shape
They don't have a lot space. Specially when you add there exclusives like FFVII Rebirth, Granblue Fantasy Relink and so on, and multiplatform top sellers like Dragon's Dogma 2 and so on.

Every single month is busy.

TigerFang

7 Mar 2024
Both games look interesting, in terms on enemy design DD2 looks cool, but I'm interested to see the atmosphere, open world, story and combat of Rise of the Ronin.

Last edited:

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
I don’t understand the need for all these samurai based games. There’s an audience but generally speaking I’m not lining up day 1 to buy one after Sekiro.

DD2 on the other hand has the followup to a much beloved game from PS3 gen. One I enjoyed very much. Easy choice for me.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
They don't have a lot space. Specially when you add there exclusives like FFVII Rebirth, Granblue Fantasy Relink and so on, and multiplatform top sellers like Dragon's Dogma 2 and so on.

May is empty so you had to invent a game. The PC ports are irrelevant.

Helldivers was the Feb game (and it turned out massive), Rebirth was the march (MLB is fine), Ronin April (or next week March 29), Stellar May. They knew DD2 was there since last year. Destiny is whatever.

Reactions: JAHGamer

Polyh3dron

31 Jan 2024
One is made to take full advantage of the PS5 and is currently exclusive to it, the other is a multiplatform game that runs terribly on the PS5 (and everything else for that matter). Also one is a hardcore action game while the other is a sprawling RPG. I don't think either game will be in the other's way just because they released on the same day as opposed to some kind of concerted effort to stagger their release dates.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
May is empty so you had to invent a game. The PC ports are irrelevant.

Helldivers was the Feb game (and it turned out massive), Rebirth was the march (MLB is fine), Ronin April (or next week March 29), Stellar May. They knew DD2 was there since last year. Destiny is whatever.
No. Lost Soul Aside is supposed to be "early 2024" unless delayed. They have new first party games for the rest of the months, so it's fair to assume it's going to assume it would be their May game.

Rebirth isn't their March game, Ronin isn't their April game and Stellar isn't their May game. All these games were released a month before, and Rebirth is 3rd party like Dragon's Dogma, not 1st.

Destiny 2 is a super successful Sony game which gets yearly expansions (this one may be the last one, at least the last big one, because it's very old) that are almost brand new games.

And yes, they knew the release dates of the 3rd party games of the year: Dragon Dogma 2 and the many other important ones they get every year and month.

• haha

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
No. Lost Soul Aside is supposed to be "early 2024" unless delayed. They have new first party games for the rest of the months, so it's fair to assume it's going to assume it would be their May game.

Rebirth isn't their March game, Ronin isn't their April game and Stellar isn't their May game. All these games were released a month before, and Rebirth is 3rd party like Dragon's Dogma, not 1st.

Destiny 2 is a super successful Sony game which gets yearly expansions (this one may be the last one, at least the last big one, because it's very old) that are almost brand new games.

And yes, they knew the release dates of the 3rd party games of the year: Dragon Dogma 2 and the many other important ones they get every year and month.
If they know the dates in advance, why they aren't planning better?

• they're_right_you_know

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023

Imagine having to go against Lost Soul Aside, what a juggernaut.