DSOGaming: Starfield 2022 vs 2023 Video Graphics Comparison shows noticeable downgrades

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
YouTube’s ‘Cycu1’ has shared an early graphics video comparison between the 2022 and 2023 demos of Bethesda’s upcoming triple-A title, Starfield. And, as the title implies, there have been some noticeable downgrades.

As you can see, the faces and facial hair of all characters look noticeably worse in the 2023 demo. I really don’t know what’s going on here, but the characters were my main issue with the 2023 demo. All of them now appear flat, and their facial hair looks awful. Their eyes also now lack a lot of detail, making them feel lifeless and… dare to say… even worse than old-gen characters.

Starfield-2022-vs-2023-2.jpg
Starfield-2022-vs-2023.jpg

The good news is that Bethesda was able to maintain the quality of the game’s environments. Not only that, but it has added a few higher-quality environmental assets in some areas. The TOD (time of day) has also changed in some scenes, meaning that we don’t have 1-1 comparisons for its lighting/TOD.

And yes, there are some “artistic” changes. For instance, the main room at 2:00 now has a dust/haze effect and a different TOD. These are fine, and we don’t really mind these changes. However, we can’t overlook the major downgrade of all of the game’s characters.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Very underrated website. I've used it over the years for their very handy PC game performance analysis articles.

As for Starfield, both versions look pretty damn ugly to me.

Also, pretty funny that for a game with 1000 planes they keep showing the same places with the exact same shots again and again.

Last edited:

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Dowgrade pretty obvious across the board.
Of media says nothing.

Imagine, they dowgraded and still it ran on low end 20s fps 😂

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Just encountered an absolute gem while looking this up: "Empty planets are actually a great things because it gives space to mods."

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
the hype is all fabricated. I have seen no one talk about this game irl or outside of era.