Dualsense repair

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
Anyone every repaired there own dualsense ? Is it difficult to do ? , I've started getting some drift to the left on my left analogue stick & I don't wanna buy a new controller just because of stick drift but it's annoying me

Reactions: kuzon

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I have. Do you have steady hands?

I recommend getting a repair kit from amazon, it makes the job much easier. First time it might take you 30-45 minutes but it's not too hard, just make sure you don't rip out the ribbon cables from the board (besides the end that's supposed to disconnect from the socket).

You can look up a guide on ifixit or youtube. Also, if you end up having to clean the contact rings on the stick modules make sure you put them back in the right orientation, first time i did it i just shoved it back in and had to take it apart again

Reactions: Would_you_kindly
OP
OP
Would_you_kindly
27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
I have. Do you have steady hands?

I recommend getting a repair kit from amazon, it makes the job much easier. First time it might take you 30-45 minutes but it's not too hard, just make sure you don't rip out the ribbon cables from the board (besides the end that's supposed to disconnect from the socket).

You can look up a guide on ifixit or youtube. Also, if you end up having to clean the contact rings on the stick modules make sure you put them back in the right orientation, first time i did it i just shoved it back in and had to take it apart again
I remember taking apart my 20th anniversary dualsense 4 because the charging port stopped working & I just ended up breaking on of the triggers lol , if they had a ps1 themed dualsense I'd happily buy a new one , I don't know why console makers can't make replacing & cleaning analogue sticks easier when they know drift is an issue , unless they purposely do it so people keep buying new ones

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
The only hard thing to do is if you need to replace the stick entirely, which you shouldnt need to. If you do you need to solder which i wouldn't fuck around with, too much hassle.

The only thing you need to watch out for when disassembling the controller is not to rip out cables or wires.

*edit* nah they don't give people drift via updates. It's just they use the cheapest components possible

OP
OP
Would_you_kindly
27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
The only hard thing to do is if you need to replace the stick entirely, which you shouldnt need to. If you do you need to solder which i wouldn't fuck around with, too much hassle.

The only thing you need to watch out for when disassembling the controller is not to rip out cables or wires.

*edit* nah they don't give people drift via updates. It's just they use the cheapest components possible
Having an OS setting that lets you set deadzones for the sticks would solve the issue but they don't want that

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
They can be repaired but you are a better off getting a new one since all the repair equipment and parts will cost the same amount as a controller.

Even then there is no guarantee of success.

Better solution would be to get Electrical contact cleaner and spray it into the joystick modules.

Make sure controller is opened.

If that doesn’t work buy a new one unfortunately.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
They can be repaired but you are a better off getting a new one since all the repair equipment and parts will cost the same amount as a controller.

Even then there is no guarantee of success.

Better solution would be to get Electrical contact cleaner and spray it into the joystick modules.

Make sure controller is opened.

If that doesn’t work buy a new one unfortunately.
Nah you can get a repair kit for about $20 with tools and replacement stick modules. New controller is 3x as much

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Nah you can get a repair kit for about $20 with tools and replacement stick modules. New controller is 3x as much

With soldering iron and other soldering tools?

Never go cheap on those things.

No guarantee to success either.

Vergil

19 Jun 2024
This is the reason why Sony has to build Hall-effect sensors in DualSense, as Sega used Hall-effect sensors in its controllers back in the 90s. This is the only way to avoid drifting on the controllers.

OP
OP
Would_you_kindly
27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
I wouldn't buy a new controller unless there was something proper wrong with the one I have I'm not rewarding Sony with my money for making a controller with stick drift issues (like I said before I would buy a new one if it was ps1 themed but only Jim ryan got that )

OP
OP
Would_you_kindly
27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
This is the reason why Sony has to build Hall-effect sensors in DualSense, as Sega used Hall-effect sensors in its controllers back in the 90s. This is the only way to avoid drifting on the controllers.

I've never had stick drift on any of my consoles except ps5 both the dualsenses I got with it have gotten it

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
I wouldn't buy a new controller unless there was something proper wrong with the one I have I'm not rewarding Sony with my money for making a controller with stick drift issues (like I said before I would buy a new one if it was ps1 themed but only Jim ryan got that )
Is your ps5 less than a year since purchase? You can get a replacement for free but you have to pay shipping.

Vergil

19 Jun 2024
You will be able to replace analog sticks with Hall-effect sticks on your existing DualSense. There will be no need to replace or repair when GuliKit releases Hall-effect sticks for DualSense

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
With soldering iron and other soldering tools?

Never go cheap on those things.

No guarantee to success either.
You dont need to solder if it's just a cleaning, 99% of the time it's not a bad module it's some dirt or grime that got into the ring sensor

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
You will be able to replace analog sticks with Hall-effect sticks on your existing DualSense. There will be no need to replace or repair when GuliKit releases Hall-effect sticks for DualSense

It's more complicated than that as hall effect sticks require extra circuitry to translate the signals which means you need to solder a daughter board into the dualsense, more trouble than worth imo